Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 AM   #1

A/C mod

Running my A/C with tandem EU2000's in ECO mode hasn't always been successful, so a hard-start capacitor kit is on the way. Looks like the OEM is making it easy for me, only two wires and the anchor strap has few extra holes in it for a fatter capacitor. Still wish there was some way to automatically give the gens a 2-3 second head start before throwing the load at them, but maybe this will be enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130720_170119_430.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	42727  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #2

That does have a hard start on it.
How do you run the ac: auto fan or on all the time?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That does have a hard start on it.
How do you run the ac: auto fan or on all the time?
Yes, it has a standard start capacitor, I believe the kit's is about 2X the Mf what I have now.
With ECO on, I've had the best luck running the fan on manual and the compressor on auto. But the lights dim and fan pulls down as the compressor starts and the gens wind up. It's not a critical situation, but I feel like the hard starts accumulate over time, shortening the life of the motor windings. If it doesn't help and I toast the motor anyway, at least I won't kick myself for not trying!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

Don't attempt to power the A/C in ECO-mode. It's easier on your gensets and the A/C unit. Then you don't have to be concerned with a "head start" for your genset.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Does anyone have the specs for the actual current-demands for an A/C??

So . . . locked-rotor runs around 50 amps or so, which I presume represents max current demand on a really hot day, a couple minutes right after the A/C
has been shut off. That's similar to starting an air compressor when the reservoir is already at 110 PSI; but when the compressor is first started at 0 PSI, the startup current is insignificant.

I suspect that same is true for an A/C. If the A/C is started up after a long rest, then the startup current should be nominal. ?? So . . . if you only start the A/C after a long rest, with nominal startup current, then even a 2000w generator should be able to handle an A/C as long as you keep the A/C running continuously after startup. ??

Anyone know:

1. Startup current for an A/C that has been resting??

2. Startup current with a hard start cap, for an A/C that has been:
(a) resting, or
(b) that was running only a couple minutes ago??
Old 07-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #6

There are LRA and other ratings on the AC unit itself.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Don't attempt to power the A/C in ECO-mode. It's easier on your gensets and the A/C unit. Then you don't have to be concerned with a "head start" for your genset.
The gens cruise along quietly and efficiently on ECO, except for the brief seconds it takes to start the A/C every few minutes. If a $20 part will take care of those, I'm a happy camper.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #8

Quote:
There are LRA and other ratings on the AC unit itself.
Such as:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130720_170613_691.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	42770  
Old 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Does anyone have the specs for the actual current-demands for an A/C??

Compressor is 10.4A once running. Fan is 3.4 once running.

So . . . locked-rotor runs around 50 amps 54A or so, which I presume represents max current demand on a really hot day, a couple minutes right after the A/C
has been shut off. That's similar to starting an air compressor when the reservoir is already at 110 PSI; but when the compressor is first started at 0 PSI, the startup current is insignificant.

The issue with your analogy is that the AC system always has pressure on it, it is never 0PSI. What changes is that after resting for 3-5 mins (current thermostats force the compressor to delay anyway) the pressure pre and post compressor is pretty equal, whereas immediately after shutdown, the pressures are not equal.

I suspect that same is true for an A/C. If the A/C is started up after a long rest, then the startup current should be nominal. It should be 54A for the compressor. ?? So . . . if you only start the A/C after a long rest, with nominal startup current, then even a 2000w generator should be able to handle an A/C as long as you keep the A/C running continuously after startup. ??

Anyone know:

1. Startup current for an A/C that has been resting??

LRA of 54A.

2. Startup current with a hard start cap, for an A/C that has been:
(a) resting, or
(b) that was running only a couple minutes ago??
I'm not sure what else you're wanting or I just don't understand.
A PTCR just helps it start easier because the compressor is allowed to receive more power than it would have before.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
The issue with your analogy is that the AC system always has pressure on it, it is never 0PSI. What changes is that after resting for 3-5 mins (current thermostats force the compressor to delay anyway) the pressure pre and post compressor is pretty equal, whereas immediately after shutdown, the pressures are not equal.

A PTCR just helps it start easier because the compressor is allowed to receive more power than it would have before.
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
The gens cruise along quietly and efficiently on ECO, except for the brief seconds it takes to start the A/C every few minutes. If a $20 part will take care of those, I'm a happy camper.
It's your money and equipment to do with as you please. I stand by my statement, and this article agrees. It's that "few seconds" that spells future problems with your genset and A/C unit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It's your money and equipment to do with as you please. I stand by my statement, and this article agrees. It's that "few seconds" that spells future problems with your genset and A/C unit.
Thanks for the information, that's relative to my earlier comment that I wish there was some kind of data link between the A/C and the generators to spin them up 2-3 seconds before startup. I understand the problems repeated brown starts can cause.