Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #1

Hello,
I have a roof mounted a/c unit and all it does is hum. Any suggestions?
momike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #2

Hello,
I have a roof mounted a/c unit and all it does is hum. Any suggestions?
momike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #3

momike if it sounds like the compressor is humming. I think your fan capasitor is no good if your a/c is a coleman. If it's a dometic see if you can turn the fan could be froze up. This will hape if not used too much.
G&Nmobilervrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to iRV2.com.

Do you know if the compressor is running or not? If the hum is the compressor running and the fan does enot run, you may have a bad start capacitor on the fan motor or a bad fan motor.

With the A/C off and preferrably with the A/C breaker in the OFF position, remove the outside cover from the unit. Now, see if the condenser fan motor will move easily. If it rotates easily, have some one turn on the A/C breaker and stand by the A/C thermostat. Spin the fan by hand and tell them to turn on the A/C unit.

BE VERY CAREFUL around the open and exposed fan.

If the unit then runs normally, you probably have a bad fan capacitor, which can be found at some hardwear stores and A/C supply houses.

Be sure and kill the power to the u nit and short the terminals on the capacitor to drain the charge and not shock yourself.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ... all it does is hum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the name of the tune your A/C unit hums?

You don't say whether your unit is blowing any air. If there is no airflow, it's possibly a problem with the fan and/or motor that drives it.

I have a Coleman Mach III A/C unit and I don't use it very often. I had a problem once where my fan wasn't turning. I was able to reach the inside fan by removing the return air grille/filter in the ceiling and then removing the screws that hold the metal plate covering the main cold air duct. Once removed, I could see the fan. I reached in there (with the unit turned off, naturally) and tried to move the fan. It was real stiff (most likely from lack of use), but as I kept moving it, it turned easier and easier. Once it felt pretty loose, I tried starting the unit and the fan began working again. I put everything back together and it's worked OK ever since.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote