RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Might be time for a 5 gallon bucket and a little experimenting. How's that new truck and hitch working out?
You beat me to it. I checked mine the accuracy of our gauges with a pair of 1.4 gallon bleach bottles.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Might be time for a 5 gallon bucket and a little experimenting. How's that new truck and hitch working out?
We love the truck and hitch!!!! Tyank you for asking
Yes, some expirimenting is due. I added 5 gallons to the black last time, and this joker system says it’s 66% full when we got set up....then the next day, it’s at 33%. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Assuming that you have a single dump pipe with three valves, you can add a twist-on gate valve on the end of the dump pipe. With the black tank valve closed (as it should be) and the twist-on valve closed, you can then open both grey tank valves and they will equalize, and you can really use 70 gallons as needed. No need to brush your teeth in the kitchen.

Then close both when it is time to dump the black tank. There will be 1 or 2 gallons of grey water in the pipe. Open the twist-on gate valve and that small amount of water will flow out first. Then open the black tank valve followed by grey valves as you would normally do.
Yep, already have one of those....great suggestion!!!
Old 04-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
We have 2 gray tanks on the rig in my signature that are the same size.

dayle1: Sounds good on paper but I'm not sure that will work with my 5th wheel. But I'm going to give it a try. I hope it works.
If you have a single discharge pipe, then it should work. Many owners use this solution. The gate valve is a
"Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve"
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
If you have a single discharge pipe, then it should work. Many owners use this solution. The gate valve is a
"Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve"
I actually just bought that valve last week, due to a leaky valve, I'll give it a try.Thanks
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #19

I'll probably echo most of what has been said so far. Our FR CC has 3 tanks also 1blk and 2gry's.

We have had a twist on valve since before we had this particular 5th wh (thanks FR for using cheap valves that leak) it stays on all the time because the tanks don't drain completely and the twist on allows us to take the cap off w/o a gallon or so pouring out.

The bath tank on ours fills up quickly and the galley fills slowly, when are at hookups w/o sewer we open both of the grey valves and keep the twist on valve in the closed position and that works great. Someone had said they have to be on the same level but I'll have to disagree as ours are not. The shower tank is lower than the galley tank so it fills first then the galley tank fills, we have never had an issue. Both tanks are well below venting and so on so they just seek their own level. NBD

My personal opinion is every RV should have a twist off valve, if you have a an issue (really should say when) with a valve this can get you out of a yucky jam. Here's a link;

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...ff+waste+valve
Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #20

Well, I guess I'll be the odd duck of the group. Mine has 3 grey and 1 black. All 4 tanks are 48 gals each. But as for what everyone else is saying, I agree with.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So I did a little experiment yesterday.....

I drained both grey tanks. Then added 10 gallons to the galley tank, which is the smallest on our fifth wheel. Left the cap on the discharge, and opened both grey valves. Whoosh! All the water in the galley drained into the bath/shower tank. Yay!

Ordered one of the Valtera twist on valves. This will make my life easier.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #22

One of these flow meters on the hose and start filling through the sink/shower until the water backs up.....same goes for the toilet if you want to check the black tank.

As the tanks are being filled keep one eye on the tank gauge. This way it is possible to know how many gallons are in the tank at 1/3- 2/3 - F.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post

One of these flow meters on the hose and start filling through the sink/shower until the water backs up.....same goes for the toilet if you want to check the black tank.

As the tanks are being filled keep one eye on the tank gauge. This way it is possible to know how many gallons are in the tank at 1/3- 2/3 - F.
Beats hoisting 5 gallon Homer buckets!

Funny thing is that is how I discovered one of the 90 elbows had not been cemented at the factory, water started coming out there instead of the shower pan!
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #24

Purchased one of those. Close out at Walmart. Used it one time.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
This will only work if both gray tanks are on the same level; mine are not.
It should work as long as all tanks are lower than the lowest P-trap and they are properly vented.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #26

Regarding the valve setup before the cap.

I have the prior mentioned valve for all 3 trips we’ve taken. When I first attached it to the outlet, my initial thought was, wow, this is really easy to come off. Unlike my sewer hose and cap that both fasten very tight....this valve DOES NOT!

I don’t know if I got a defective one or not....but here is the loviness that occured:

Pulled up to dump station and go to remove cap. My cap fastens so well that it pulls off the additional valve. No biggie, i put it back on after getting cap off and am clearly conscious once again that this stupid thing is not tight enough. Wife watches me make sure it’s on as far as it would go.

Start to dump black tank....we are standing several feet away and I make a small adjustment to the hose on the ground a minute in. Then we both watch in slow motion as that @&!% valve twists itself right off. Unbelieveable

The valve has become much looser since first installed. I would not recommend this product without securing it with strong tape around the connection. Boy was I pissed...luckily, it didn’t get on us, and I was able to clean up.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #27

Must be defective, I've used one for years w/o issue. My cable operated valves are always difficult to operate and frequently leak a little. The twist on valve has been an important 2nd defense.

Tags
fuse, tank