Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Abnormal Tire wear

What would cause the front two tires on a dual axle 5th wheel to wear abnormally? i.e. the inside tread of the tire is going bare, but the outside looks fine. On a vehicle that would tell me the camber is not correct. does a fifth wheel have the ability to adjust camber? I wouldn't think it does.

The picture below shows the tire wear I am talking about.

McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
I've been told that camber is adjusted during manufacturing by bending the center of axles, and not very scientifically, by using a fork lift truck. Don't know if this is true with all of them (or any), but that's the only way it could be done as axles from Dexter and others come from them completely straight. You should be able to tell if there's any, but I'd rather think you may have the two axles mis-aligned to each other.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

How old is your fiver? How long have you had it? Wear on one axle shows it is out of alignment.
The axles come from the mfg with the camber built it--crowned in the middle--but the install of the axle may be the problem. As the weight of the trailer is applied, it will take some of the crown out and the tires should be flat to the pavement. Sounds like the axle is bending (bent) too much and the inside of the tire is bearing more weight than the outside.
Just find a competent spring/axle shop that can accomodate trailers, should cost about $250/axle to get it aligned, just a little less than 2 new tires...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

Trailer axles have a pre-bend so that when they're loaded, they're fairly straight. Yours may be overloaded or the pre-bend is wrong. Possible the spindles are bent but I doubt it. If still under warranty, go to the dealer. If not, go to a truck spring shop for an evaluation.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #5

My fifth wheel is a 2013 Montana Big Sky. Just bought it recently and I am going through it to make sure its good for travel. I'm looking for a good axle shop near the Austin area. If you know of one, let me know.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #6

Best thing to do is travel for awhile and monitor the tire wear--hopefully, the axles are ok at this time. Having the axles checked isn't as easy as on a car/truck, and I don't know of an Austin company. However, if coming to Ft Worth, Champion Spring/Axle shop on Henderson st in downtown FW is good for this, and also D&Y Welding in Alvarado, TX.

Just to have them checked is not easy as you need an appt and have to hitch up and tow it somewhere, and I don't know what the charge might be if no adjustment is needed. To adjust them can be around $250/axle.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
My fifth wheel is a 2013 Montana Big Sky. Just bought it recently and I am going through it to make sure its good for travel. I'm looking for a good axle shop near the Austin area. If you know of one, let me know.
I haven't used them, but there is this shop: http://www.atlasspringservice.com/
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
If the tires were on it when you bought it I would swap the rear axle tires to the front and monitor wear. Unless you know the tire history there's no way to know for sure if that wear happened on that rig. Someone may have slapped some used tires on it.
FFStreetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

You can make some very basic checks to see if there is an obvious problem using this procedure:

Trailer Axle Alignment and Tire Wear Problems

But there is no substitute for having a local truck axle/suspension shop check it out for you. I was just at a shop yesterday due to my 5ver having some bent spring hangers needing repair and severe wear on the inside tread on the street side (similar to yours). Looking at $800 in my case but it includes straightening the spring hangers, adding a steal cross member for the center hangers so they don't bend again, camber and toe corrections to both axles (yes they bend them), reinstall of axles and full alignment performed. Just got new tires so I need to make sure they don't wear prematurely.
Good Luck.
Garyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote