Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

About to buy my first 5'ver

I'm looking at a Sundance 3300 RLB camper with the rear loft. I wanted a generator in it and it was wayyyyyy to much to add one. The dealer wants to throw in a 6,500 watt portable Onan generator for $1,600. Does anyone know anything I should know about the generator or the RV? Is it a quiet running Generator ? The Dealer says it is but I somehow doubt it! Anything I should know or ask about installing the hitch ? This is my first 5'ver and I'm just a little nervous about the purchase since I've always had TT's. Selling price for the combo is $31.5 K ... Thanks !
stinger381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if it quiet as a Honda. Get the model number from the dealer and Google it for a spec sheet. Basically you won't find a 6.5KW generator for that low of a cost.

You could always get the the dealer to crank it up and put it under load.

Also Welcome to iRV2.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #3

Thanks , I'm looking forward to many years of RV'ing advice and tips !

I have a buddy with the Honda Generator so I think I will see if it will push the roof air. It's a 15K BTU model and I kinda doubt that it will start it. I was able to find out that it's not a quiet generator but it's not as loud as most in it's class.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger381 View Post
Thanks , I'm looking forward to many years of RV'ing advice and tips !

I have a buddy with the Honda Generator so I think I will see if it will push the roof air. It's a 15K BTU model and I kinda doubt that it will start it. I was able to find out that it's not a quiet generator but it's not as loud as most in it's class.
You will need a 3kw generator (min) or higher. As far as an Onan 6.5 kw portable as long as it is an inverter generator you will be OK. Check out Craigslist for used Onan generators, you can get a good price on them there.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #5

Have seen a number of the 3000 Watt Honda Inverter style portable generators that would not start a 13.5 A/C. found that if a Hard Start Kit was installed on the A/C then the generator would start and run the A/C. Have seen and talked to a number of RVer's that used Two portable Honda 2000 Watt generator with the Jumper cord system (giving 4000 watts combined) and they were all satisfied. Stated could use one or both as necessary/small in size and weight/low fuel consumtion. Personally have a Onan 6.5 KW propane installed. Very quiet but uses a lot of propane when loaded
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #6

Stinger381
Don't know if you are aware of it, but Heartland has an owners forum that anyone can join, they have some good info, and the factory monitors the site, and reps get on there & answer questions routinely! Heartland Owners Forum
tickranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #7

I joined the Hearltand Group this week too !

I went ahead and purchased the Sundance 3300 RLB and took the generator the dealer threw into the deal. It's not an inverter style so I know it will be loud but I may not ever even use it with the camper. I just thought I'd take it and have it for the house or whatever. I think I got a good deal for both items and hope to be very happy with the new camper. I'm taking my truck over there this a.m. for the hitch to be installed.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the purchase Happy camping, or as I call it, RV'ing.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #9

Enjoy your new Sundance and welcome to the forum.
shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Now, where are you gong camping for the first trip???? Some us might want to show up and get the guided tour of the new digs. We promise to bring along a few paper towels to wipe up the drools.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #11

I don't know where we will go .... I picked it up last night and transferred all the stuff from one to the other. I didn't realize how much underneath storage I lost but there is still enough for my junk! The 5'ver pulls so much better and I think I will really get to liking the hook-up of the 5'ver vs. the TT. It's a beautiful camper and I hope it holds up well over the years.

I think I will take it out next weekend to some place close to the house so that we can break it in close to a Wal Mart or some place where we can go buy what we need. I'm really thinking we have everything we need already though! I'll have to take some better pics to post real soon!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Close is OK but if you really want to Break it In then do as I did and head East for 6weeks. I figured I will either break it in or break it. Well I did both and the factory had for 6months when I got back to fix it.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #13

well congrats. we really liked the heartland 5ers and the sundance is great. but we couldnt pass up the super great deal on the copper canyon ssooooooooo
TEX-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I gave years ago $1300 for a Yamaha 3 KW. The RV dealer selling you Onan 6.5 kw for $1,600 is a very good deal. I took the Yamaha off our fiver and got one from PEP BOYS for $300. It is nosier, but it does run the AC and microwave. I think I have only burn a tank of gas since I had it. We have only dry camped a few times.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland