Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Do not waste your money on one of these! Many people wind up giving away or selling cheaply when they find out for themselves.

I wasted my money and have not regretted the purchase. Only a matter of opinion.....
schwabml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #16
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
The 50a cords are real tough to coil up, especially if cold. I used a milk carton crate and coiled it in there until my new fiver came with a power reel. The 50-30a adapter will be a necessity at times, might even need a 50-30-20 amp setup for the odd time you need a little electricity and the only thing around is 15-20a.
The PI 50 SP is a great add-on, might consider hard-wiring it and get the remote readout.
Ditto on the hard wired PI surge protector with the remote readout. It has saved me from potential voltage problems at least twice. For the cord, go to an electrical supply and get a 6 gauge, 4 wire cable suitable for cold weather. The one that came with mine was like trying roll rebar when it was cold and not a lot of fun even when warm. The cable I got is very flexible in all weather situations and has a smaller diameter. I was able use the end from the old cord that attaches to the rv but had to buy the end that connects to the post. It was a whole lot cheaper than buying a ready made one. I use a 15 foot section from the old cord to build an extension should I ever need one. So far only once.

I'm trying to think of the water hose I bought that is also very flexible but it's raining. Will update later.

Update: It is the Zero G by Teknor Apex. You can buy the 50 foot version at Lowe's, which is drinking water safe. The 25 foot rv version is the same and costs about the same. I bought one of each since 25 foot suffices most of the time. Don't compare these to the collapsible types that don't hold up. These are very well made and got a good evaluation in Trailer Life. They store in a very small space in any kind of weather and have been very durable in my one year use.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #17

Something I have not heard mentioned is a TPMS (Tire Pressure monitoring System). These can pay for themselves in just one use especially if they tell you to stop before a tire goes and takes out the side of the rig.

The TPMS and the EMS are the 2 most important things I have invested in. Of course that is just my opinion but it sure has been good piece of mind in 7 years full timing and both have saved me on occasion.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabml View Post
We purchase a king pin tripod which has assisted in limiting sway.
SteadyFast and JT StrongArm are MUCH better systems and take up no space. I only used a tripod one season before switching to SteadyFast.
Also, the shorter the landing gear legs, the less wobble. Use blocks or levelers to reduce the drop.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Something I have not heard mentioned is a TPMS (Tire Pressure monitoring System). These can pay for themselves in just one use especially if they tell you to stop before a tire goes and takes out the side of the rig.

The TPMS and the EMS are the 2 most important things I have invested in. Of course that is just my opinion but it sure has been good piece of mind in 7 years full timing and both have saved me on occasion.

Brad

A TPMS should come standard on a camper. I have TST 507 non flow thru. TPMS is piece of mind knowing how much air is in each tire and the temperature
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #20

Just purchased Anderson Levelers. Love them!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
A TPMS should come standard on a camper. I have TST 507 non flow thru. TPMS is piece of mind knowing how much air is in each tire and the temperature
I agree that they should be standard equipment but they aren't so it was one of the first things I bought.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #22

Make sure you have the proper tires for the RV. The higher end RV'S will most likely have load range G or H tires. Also buy a cord adapter called a dogbone by camco that attaches to your power outlet on your rv and goes straight down instead of curving out from the rv and putting pressure on the electrical pins which could cause a lost nuetral or ground.If you buy a very high end rv then it should have the disc brakes but if not then the disc are a major plus. You will be able to stop quicker with the rv on the truck than the truck by itself. At least i can with my Montana.The mor-ryde independent suspension is a great up-grade and is standard on some of your more expensive 5th wheels such as Luxe and DRV. The I.S. is a great upgrade and very low maintinence and will give you a much smoother ride.It's good to have more sewer hose as 10 or 15 feet is sometimes not enough. The mor-ryde electrical reel is a big plus as it makes rolling your 50 amp 6 gauge cord roll up like a water hose in winter or summer.A mor-ryde slide out tray can give you easy access storage in a 5th wheel storage area. There are plenty more items and options that can be purchased to fit your needs but this is just some i thought of. Good Luck in your travels.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
.......I am still debating over a portable versus an installed EMS. Just trying to determine how brave I want to be on installing it. I watched a few installs on YouTube and it doesn't look to daunting. So, right now, leaning toward the installed version.
Strongly, strongly, strongly recommend the Hard Wired version.

We had our new Cedar Creek a few weeks and had used a pedestal Surge Gard on our previous trailer. We hooked up the CC at the house after a trip and all hell broke loose. DVR started smoking, lights were flashing it was crazy. All this happened in the few seconds it took me to shut off the power.

We hired an electrician who found an open neutral in the power cord (so did the dealer), remember this was after the surge guard on the pedestal and this fried several things in the trailer. Long story short Cedar Creek said it wasn't their fault and to call my insurance company.

Had we had a hard wired EMS installed it could/would have caught the open neutral.

Today we have a Progressive 50C and I love looking at the display and knowing all is OK.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #24

If it's a big fiver consider upgrading to G-rated tires, especially if it has 7,000lb axles. Most of the cheap Chinese tires are only E-rated and barely adequate before loading the rig.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #25

Agree with the hard wired EMS. I bought the portable when I bought my fifth wheel. It has worked well, but I'm always afraid of it getting stolen (even though I have it locked to the pedestal), it's added setup and tear down to fuss with it everytime you setup/break camp, sometimes I have to put blocks under it as it hangs to high, or put something under it to keep it from sitting on the ground. In short, it's hassle. I just bought the hardwired but haven't installed it yet. I will. With the hardwired, you never have to fuss with it again. It's just there whenever you plug in.
Johndaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #26

Not to hijack this thread, but in the subject of surge protection, is this the one everyone is talking about?
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but in the subject of surge protection, is this the one everyone is talking about?
Yes, the 50amp for us. This is the one we had hardwired. Seems this is what most will use. Good warranty, made in the USA.
Rainbowsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
Yes, just match the amp i.e. If you have a 30 amp trailer get a 30c, 50 amp get a 50c.

Tags
hwh