Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #1

Adding 2nd Ac to Prepped Chaparral

I am adding a 2nd ac in the bedroom of a prepped 2020 Chaparral 5th Wheel. I bought and installed a 13.5 Coleman Mach 3 Ac. I have a ceiling assembly for a ducted setup and a Coleman cool only control box.

I removed the existing vent and the unit is preducted up to the cut out and there is a pre wired electrical box with my hot, neutral, and ground wires. I have wired them to the control box, plugged the roof top unit into the control box, and installed the freeze wire from the control box to the ac coils.

The bedroom has a Coleman mach temperature sensor pre wired above the light switch. The unit also has the dual zone Coleman ac thermostat.

So my question is does the bedroom thermostat sensor report directly to the main thermostat to control the new AC units temperature? I ask because I canít find any other thermostat wiring in the ceiling where it was prepped. Is simply wiring the 120v wire to the control box and plugging the ac unit to the control box complete the install? Or am I missing additional wires that should connect to the low voltage plug that came with the control box? I feel like there should be low voltage wires from the sensor to the control box

I attached pictures of my wired in control box. I also attached a picture of the additional wires in the ceiling. The pink/white and white/blue wires look like they run to the ceiling lights. The red/blue wire Iím not sure of.

Thank you for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6A8FCF2-3085-4E5E-A372-167FB1C551D1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	367969   Click image for larger version

Name:	B501137D-53FF-44F8-9ED5-C244831C9C8D.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	367970  

Click image for larger version

Name:	662FDB74-F2CF-4031-9628-3663A45DFFF4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	367971  
ShawnBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 12:27 PM   #2

When funds allow I would like to do this as well. I have an old 06 Montana that is prepped for an additional air conditioner too. I don't see any wiring going from the prep location to the existing thermostat controller either. I wondered if the purchased unit would have it's own thermostat & be controlled from that? I will be following this closely. Likely will be a project over the off season.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #3

Mine is a dual zone control thermostat intended to control both units. If yours is not a dual zone you would have to add a thermostat which at this point seems like the easier process.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #4

So far no one has understood your question.

My educated guess is that there has to be a control wire to the unit. Even if there was a "box" below that controlled it, all it could do was send or not send power...... no fan control separate from the compressor..... so that is not going to fly.

And yes, the temp sensor reports to the dual zone thermostat, which in turn controls the unit..... via a control wire. WAG says a regular CAT6.

BUT......

Yes I am that guy that says: "Did you read the installation instructions?"
Old 06-13-2022, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
So far no one has understood your question.

My educated guess is that there has to be a control wire to the unit. Even if there was a "box" below that controlled it, all it could do was send or not send power...... no fan control separate from the compressor..... so that is not going to fly.

And yes, the temp sensor reports to the dual zone thermostat, which in turn controls the unit..... via a control wire. WAG says a regular CAT6.

BUT......

Yes I am that guy that says: "Did you read the installation instructions?"
Yes I did read. The directions were one page and just said to connect low voltage wires to the pig tail that plugs into the control box.

Since I posted and didn’t receive a response I pulled the ceiling assembly for my main unit, the dual zone thermostat, and the wall sensor. I have found the the red/blue wire appears to run from the zone control box at the main unit to the prepped opening, the pink/white wire comes from the sensor to the prepped opening, and I can’t figure out what the blue/white wire controls. From the thermostat there are 2 brown wires one of which runs to the main unit. The other I can’t find where it goes. I’m assuming the red/blue wire that runs from the main unit to this one is how the “commands” are sent from the thermostat, but that’s not a very educated guess on my part.

Was hoping there would be another chaparral owner that has done the same process to point me in the right direction.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBandit View Post
Yes I did read. The directions were one page and just said to connect low voltage wires to the pig tail that plugs into the control box.

Since I posted and didnít receive a response I pulled the ceiling assembly for my main unit, the dual zone thermostat, and the wall sensor. I have found the the red/blue wire appears to run from the zone control box at the main unit to the prepped opening, the pink/white wire comes from the sensor to the prepped opening, and I canít figure out what the blue/white wire controls. From the thermostat there are 2 brown wires one of which runs to the main unit. The other I canít find where it goes. Iím assuming the red/blue wire that runs from the main unit to this one is how the ďcommandsĒ are sent from the thermostat, but thatís not a very educated guess on my part.

Was hoping there would be another chaparral owner that has done the same process to point me in the right direction.

OK now find the installation instructions for the thermostat and identify which wire does what.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBandit View Post
Mine is a dual zone control thermostat intended to control both units. If yours is not a dual zone you would have to add a thermostat which at this point seems like the easier process.

Yes my thermostat is for duel zones. I haven't dug into it real deep just yet, but I did not see a low voltage wire that goes from the front ac unit to the thermostat.