Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #1

Adding auto leveling system

Greetings. I知 making some decisions on keeping and upgrading our current 5er or getting a new to us one. One of the key components in our decision making is an auto leveling system.

This rig is a 2007 Alfa See Ya 32 ft with a loaded weight just over 16,000lbs.

I keep hearing and reading conflicting information about this.

I知 needing to get an idea of what having this mod will cost me including parts and labor. At one point I was informed around $3000.00 installed. But now I知 hearing more around $7000.00.

What痴 the story here folks? I知 assuming because of weight I値l probably need a 6 point system...?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Trueman619m is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I have a 38' Lifestyle which is built on a box frame just like that of the former Carriage line. It has a 4 point Quadra Big Foot leveling system. Its very robust and reliable.
I think the determining factor in whether or not you have a 4 or 6 point system will be length of the rig and/or frame strength. I have not seen 6 point on shorter rigs.
You will love having the auto leveling system. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I have a 38' Lifestyle which is built on a box frame just like that of the former Carriage line. It has a 4 point Quadra Big Foot leveling system. Its very robust and reliable.
I think the determining factor in whether or not you have a 4 or 6 point system will be length of the rig and/or frame strength. I have not seen 6 point on shorter rigs.
You will love having the auto leveling system. Good luck and safe travels.

Good info thanks. Was your system added after your purchase? If so, can you tell me how much that cost, ballpark?
Old 12-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

...have no idea on cost, but $3k doesn't buy much of anything these days--$7k might even be low.....it is one thing to install equipment while on the assembly line....after market add-on's almost always cost a lot more for labor--prepare to dig deep......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
In 2012 I looked at installing auto leveling on a 2011 Landmark. The electric jacks (Ground Control?) costed out at approximately $3000 parts, and the hydraulic jacks (Bigfoot) costed out around $4000 parts, if I remember correctly. $7000 installed is not an unreasonable estimate for a retrofit installation.

I did not install a system on that RV, I came to the conclusion I would not recover a single dollar out of that mod when I sold the trailer.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer frames are generally lighter with a lot of flex and if you are trying to pick up a side to level side to side you likely will experience excessive frame flexing. Our Freightliner chassis is stiff but there are limits to how much flex you can subject it to without causing damage to body parts, windows, doors, panels, etc.

I would consider the systems on a trailer to be more auto-stabilizing rather than auto-leveling.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
... I did not install a system on that RV, I came to the conclusion I would not recover a single dollar out of that mod when I sold the trailer.

Brian
We致e traded rigs twice and sold one outright. All of these had significant mods and add on $$. I recovered none of those investments. Mods and investments are for your (the present owner痴) enjoyment and benefit, it will net you at most 10% and typically 0% return when you sell and less than that if you trade.

I知 not wanting to be a 泥ebbie Downer; but rather wanting to make you aware of our experience to help you make an informed decision.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The Quadra systems were engineered into the Carriage Lifestyle fivers and were standard equipment on 2010 and newer rigs.
Again, frame strength is a huge factor in these jack systems not torqueing the frame.
Here is a link to the Quadra website so you can see the cost. Another benefit of the Quadra system is the lack of fluid lines running all over the place. Each jack is self contained. They have installation/service facilities in MI and FL.
http://http://www.thebigfootleveler....ic-system.html
Old 12-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did a driveway install of a manual Quadra single pump system four years ago on a 18K Lbs class A. Material cost from Quadra was just under $3000 and a mobile welder was another $75 to install the four jack mounts and the pump mount. Took me about 32 hours labor for the four jacks, pump unit and electronics.

An experienced shop should be able to at least half my time. Considering a reasonable shop labor estimate of $100 per hour my install might have cost $4675 all up. Round up for inflation and call it $5000 but add another $1000 if you want to go with an auto lever system which makes the $7000 estimate a bit high but in the parking lot of the ballpark.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Trailer frames are generally lighter with a lot of flex and if you are trying to pick up a side to level side to side you likely will experience excessive frame flexing. Our Freightliner chassis is stiff but there are limits to how much flex you can subject it to without causing damage to body parts, windows, doors, panels, etc.

I would consider the systems on a trailer to be more auto-stabilizing rather than auto-leveling.
The Alfa frames are nothing to raise your nose at. These things are HEAVY.

To the OP, we are approaching the same time you are and are having a tough time finding anything close in the quality department, maybe GD, but its still not quite the same....let me know your thoughts?
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

We had a 6 pt hydraulic system from Equalizer Systems in Elkhart installed on our 35 ft 2011 Jayco in 2016. We went to their shop for install, $4767 total. You probably can get by with a 4pt but I don't remember the quote on them.These babies will lift the wheels if needed. Still like em.

I really studied the LCI add-on 4pt electric system & self installing but we needed a trip so what the hey.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
We had a 6 pt hydraulic system from Equalizer Systems in Elkhart installed on our 35 ft 2011 Jayco in 2016. We went to their shop for install, $4767 total. You probably can get by with a 4pt but I don't remember the quote on them.These babies will lift the wheels if needed. Still like em.

I really studied the LCI add-on 4pt electric system & self installing but we needed a trip so what the hey.

Was this a stabilizing system or an auto leveling system? What痴 your GVW?
Old 12-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueman619m View Post
Was this a stabilizing system or an auto leveling system? What’s your GVW?
Hydraulic Auto-level system. My 5er's GVWR is 14500. I could have gotten by with a 4pt but wanted a 6.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
Hydraulic Auto-level system. My 5er's GVWR is 14500. I could have gotten by with a 4pt but wanted a 6.

Thanks!

Tags
leveling