Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 01:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
I would suggest a Progressive Industries EMS HW50C. Does so much more than a surge protector. Also best service and warranty of any RV product made.
Have to second that. Small investment compared to the cost of repairs to your electric system from plugging into a bad campground power pole. I balked at the price but after research I realized it was a must.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #16

Ditto on previous posts, a couple of other small tips, get a pair of small 2 way radios, extremely handy for giving directions when backing in, setting up etc. If you ever have to back in after dark, a set of rope lights plugged in to the post and laid along the edge of the pad is very helpful also. Most of all get out there and enjoy!
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #17

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwadted View Post
Ditto on previous posts, a couple of other small tips, get a pair of small 2 way radios, extremely handy for giving directions when backing in, setting up etc. If you ever have to back in after dark, a set of rope lights plugged in to the post and laid along the edge of the pad is very helpful also. Most of all get out there and enjoy!
We have those, never use them.

When we went thru an RV driving school, the instructor taught both of us hand signals to do the same thing. I've been told I do better than the guys parking airplanes, LOL.

I always make sure my husband can see me in the mirror...if I can't see him, he can't see me. When he can't see me he STOPS.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #18

I don't know what state you are in, but it looks like your setup has substantial combined GVWR. In New York and several other states, an endorsement is required to your driver's license to legally tow a combo like yours with a total gross weight over 26000 Lbs. Maybe you live in one of those states that don't require anything special.

Here is a link for a starting point. Not sure if it is totally accurate, but will lead you in the right direction.

http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/towing-laws.htm
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #19

Above all, have fun. You will learn lots as you go. It is not that big a hurdle.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbashaw View Post
I don't know what state you are in, but it looks like your setup has substantial combined GVWR. In New York and several other states, an endorsement is required to your driver's license to legally tow a combo like yours with a total gross weight over 26000 Lbs. Maybe you live in one of those states that don't require anything special.

Here is a link for a starting point. Not sure if it is totally accurate, but will lead you in the right direction.

http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/towing-laws.htm

My husband's license says Class D <= 26,000. He says we will be somewhere around 25,000.

2015 Cedar Creek 38CK
2015 Silverado 3500HD Diesel Dually
kwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayRN View Post
My husband's license says Class D <= 26,000. He says we will be somewhere around 25,000.

2015 Cedar Creek 38CK
Licensing requirements are based on gross weight ratings not actual weights. For instance I have a 10000 lbs GVW truck and my 5th wheel has a GVW rating (fully loaded) of 16100 lbs. the combined gross weight rating is 26100. 100 lbs over the limit therefore requiring a commercial DL. My wife was happy to know she was off the hook for driving when hooked up. She too has a license for less then or equal to 26k. I have a CDL. Our rig would need to be fully loaded to reach the GVW for each vehicle and probably will not reach that level putting us too around 25k (actual weight). This does not mean a CDL isn't required, however.

Your dually plus camper is probably over 26k gross weight combined. Look closely into your states requirements...Driver likely needs a CDL.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
Licensing requirements are based on gross weight ratings not actual weights. For instance I have a 10000 lbs GVW truck and my 5th wheel has a GVW rating (fully loaded) of 16100 lbs. the combined gross weight rating is 26100. 100 lbs over the limit therefore requiring a commercial DL. My wife was happy to know she was off the hook for driving when hooked up. She too has a license for less then or equal to 26k. I have a CDL. Our rig would need to be fully loaded to reach the GVW for each vehicle and probably will not reach that level putting us too around 25k (actual weight). This does not mean a CDL isn't required, however.

Your dually plus camper is probably over 26k gross weight combined. Look closely into your states requirements...Driver likely needs a CDL.
Correct. For licensing purposes you need to look at the tags on the truck and trailer which indicate the GVWR for each. You add the two and that is your GCVWR. If it reaches 26000 Lbs, you may need an endorsement. It has nothing to do with actual weight. Has everything to do with maximum weight ratings. I have heard that troopers in many states are privy to the requirement. Nobody wants to unhook and find a tow for your fifth in the middle of a trip or worse yet, have an accident and be found to be driving out of class.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
So do we, but seeing it at Camping World helps me. Easier to see it in person there than try and figure out what it looks like online, esp if there aren't many photos.

Plus, Amazon has SO much stuff that getting brand names helps you search. Getting those at Camping World is a big help.
I agree with this. I do most of my shopping on Amazon, but also buy many of the smaller or specialty items at Camping World where I can see them. The CW prices aren't that bad for sale items. And I see things at CW that I didn't know existed but add to the camping pleasure.
It can pay to shop around. There have been some items where Amazon is the most expensive, especially if a 3rd party is involved.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #24

The license requirement varies by state. In my state RVs are exempt from CDL requirement for > 26k lbs. The OP needs to check with their state DMV to verify what is required.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #25

I agree Amazon will be your best bet on getting most of your gear for the RV. I've been to Camping World in Tucson and take pictures of what we need and then order online. Amazon Prime is awesome and recommend you get it.
RVaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #26

Congratulations. We are looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel as well
. We currently pull a Flagstaff ultra v-lite. We do love it and there is plenty of room for myself and the wife. We have had it for 3 years now and feel that we are ready to upgrade. Been looking and found a few that we like. They are getting pricey though. Good travels and the best advice I can give you is don't forget the key to the camper as I did one time. Boy that was fun.
jaakkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #27

Southern lady is a rocket scientist

Southern lady gave you some great advice. Never backup without the wife watching. You both will benefit from this , as she will learn where the trailer cannot go also. Learn to never be interrupted when you are hitching up, to easy to miss something. Watch your tail gate position always, probably the most frequently damaged item. (about 600$) ask me how I know. Never hurry or you wont have fun. For the first 30 minutes I'm always nervous, then I enjoy. Try to keep watch a ways ahead, as you will need more room to stop. Dave-R
Old 04-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #28

Thanks all. We are looking forward to new adventures.

2015 Cedar Creek 38CK
kwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice