Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #15

Closing their service department may be an issue with the manufacturers. I have never seen an RV dealership franchise agreement but I would bet there is a clause in there that they will service the rigs they sell. It could be interesting. If this happens to anyone else get the names of the folks you deal with at the dealership. I had a discussion for about 45 minutes at the Tampa show with the president of Nexus. He said one of the biggest issues he encounters when folks complain to him is that they don't know who they dealt with. It's pretty hard for a company to fix an issue if they don't know where the problem lies. Just something for future reference. For the OP I'm glad you got things straightened out.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Some general advise...
Some places like to put very little on the work order. Sometimes they never give you a copy especially if it is warranty work. Get it in writing..
If they don't answer the phone or call back, stop by and ask for an update, estimate of when it will be ready.
I probably would have been in service longer if I had not called the manufacturer myself asking about what was approved and the status of parts. It allowed me to go back to the dealer and ask why parts were not ordered/re-ordered and why new items had not been presented to the manufacturer for warranty approval. In a couple of cases, the manufacturer called the service department to find out what was going on.
Days add up quick
Old 02-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Gator View Post
Well, I have talked to the General Manager about the challenges with my unit, extended times, etc...

It was a good conversation and ultimately I can now walk away from Explore USA's Denton facility. Apparently they have too many open work orders and not enough staff. So much so that they are apparently closing service to any new requests until they can clear the backlog.

Time to customize my unit and expand my solar to 640 watts of panels...

Well I am asking was the unit usable without the fixes? I would have never come back from a trip, and dropped it off at the dealer, if none of the issues were preventing you from using it.
I would have taken it in, had the service department list all issues, and what needed parts. Then made an appointment to have the repairs that didn't need parts. Once those were fixed taken unit home again, then when dealer had parts in hand get another appointment to have those repairs made.

Covid has created labor shortages, supply issues and cost issues.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:52 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well I am asking was the unit usable without the fixes? I would have never come back from a trip, and dropped it off at the dealer, if none of the issues were preventing you from using it.
I would have taken it in, had the service department list all issues, and what needed parts. Then made an appointment to have the repairs that didn't need parts. Once those were fixed taken unit home again, then when dealer had parts in hand get another appointment to have those repairs made.

Many repair shops won't order parts UNLESS you leave them the rig, so your idea may not work well in all places. There is a point of view where their unwillingness to order parts without having the rig makes perfect sense. I'm sure they've been burned by customers who had them order parts, and then they never heard from that customer again. I'm sure for every dealer service department horror story we hear that service department has an equivalent customer horror story.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
That almost certainly would have been a Ford warranty issue, not the RV mfr's issue. I =certainly= would have hammered the dealer on this from the get-go. Of course, I wouldn't have had an RV on a Ford base...

Lyle

You are right, it was a Ford Warranty issue and I did hammer the Ford dealership I took it too along with Ford. I sent multiple letters to the Customer service warranty claim address listed in my Ford manual.

GUESS WHAT, the address I sent it to was for Ford Truck not RV's mounted on Ford Chassis so I never got any satisfaction or relief.

When I finally talked to someone and told them who I sent correspondence to they told me it was the wrong address. And if I would have notified them earlier they probably could have helped me. DUH, that's what I was trying to do.

That was ~15 years ago, water under the bridge but I swore then I'd NEVER own another FORD and I haven't.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Yes it has, and dealers are all too eager to tell you that. The fact is, however, that service was poor before the Pandemonium. It's been poor, borderline negligent, for as long as I can remember. The manufacturers have NEVER held their dealers to a reasonable standard. Compare it to your Chevy/Ford/Chrysler dealerships. Would you accept it if they told you to leave it and "we'll get to it when we get to it" ? Could be a month, could be two?

There are a lot of consumer protection laws that force the auto industry to back their product. NONE of that exists in the RV world. They have carte blanche, they know it and take full advantage of it.

Poor design, poor execution, and poor aftercare for top dollar sales and profit margins. What a business model.

But, we pony up so they keep doing it.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Both cases apply....

Two times there were conditions that made the unit unusable.
One time they did not know what was needed until they dug into the problem with the awning.
The last time was when the parts were supposedly in. Ordered wrong and another issue was being worked on.....

So if it is known that parts are needed, a good discussion with the service writer should be had and work out the timing of the drop off. Most RV service lots do not have enough room to store a unit for that long.
BUT.... Just because you might think it needs parts, it doesn't mean the service tech, parts manager and or the Manufacturer Warranty department might agree with you....

So all in all my trailer was available to me to use safely for 45 days out of 8 months.

Items repaired and time spent on them...

1. Cabinet siding- 8 months - Tech ruined the existing bowed wood and new had to be ordered 2 separate times. Identified at New Unit Walkthrough.

2. Collapsed Leaf Springs - 8 months - It took 6 months to get this identified as a real problem. Initially reported on the New Unit Walkthrough.

3. New Rear AC unit. - 1 month - Identified and repaired when other work was being done,

4. New Roof - 4 Months. - Identified at New Unit Walkthrough - Approved for a re-stretch that was claimed to have been done and was not. Ended up with a balloon on my roof on the 2nd of 3 trips. 3 Months in the shop.

5. Awning Fabric Rail detatching - 45 days. Identified the day I brought it home. Instructed to not use the awning during my first trip with the unit and return it to service upon getting back. They had to diagnose and then were told to get "Speacialty fasteners" by the Manufacturer.

6. LED vanity lights replaced x 2 - All work was completed when it was in the shop for the other things...
Old 02-09-2022, 03:24 PM   #22

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Yes it has, and dealers are all too eager to tell you that. The fact is, however, that service was poor before the Pandemonium. It's been poor, borderline negligent, for as long as I can remember. The manufacturers have NEVER held their dealers to a reasonable standard. Compare it to your Chevy/Ford/Chrysler dealerships. Would you accept it if they told you to leave it and "we'll get to it when we get to it" ? Could be a month, could be two?

There are a lot of consumer protection laws that force the auto industry to back their product. NONE of that exists in the RV world. They have carte blanche, they know it and take full advantage of it.

Poor design, poor execution, and poor aftercare for top dollar sales and profit margins. What a business model.

But, we pony up so they keep doing it.
I've been saying for years, that all it would take would be someone like, say, Warren Buffet, saying, "we're changing our whole distribution and service model to an automotive style. If you're a dealer, and can't, or won't, service any brand we build and you sell, then you don't get to sell out stuff any more."

Lyle
Old 02-09-2022, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
I've been saying for years, that all it would take would be someone like, say, Warren Buffet, saying, "we're changing our whole distribution and service model to an automotive style. If you're a dealer, and can't, or won't, service any brand we build and you sell, then you don't get to sell out stuff any more."

Lyle
Winnebago, REV et al would be thrilled by such a unilateral move.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dealer, service