Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2022, 08:14 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Advice on a 8 Month Saga with a Certain Dealer Service Center.

Hello I am looking for thoughts and advice....

I finally have my trailer back and it would seem that all of my initial Build concerns have been fixed. How should I proceed with this dealers service center from this point forward? They lied to me, would not return my calls or emails and had to re-do work at least 3 times on some things... It took 8 months to get items I first brought the unit in for service for to get resolved. Now that these items are resolved I will never go back to this particular facility. Do I eviscerate them in reviews, call corporate to provide feedback(if I could even find a number), or do I just walk away?

I appreciate all thoughts on this as I am pretty pissed off by their ambivalence.

Some background..

Purchased a new 5th wheel just over 8 months ago. Let me say this, we are happy with the unit, just not happy with it living in the service department for all but 45 days of it's life with us.

Initial Build of the unit left some things to be desired. Ok, I was warned that these units are not built like they used to be. I also know some parts are slow to be shipped. Ok... I can handle that...

Bought the unit... Saw some issues.. Took our first trip and found some more... Reported them and dropped the unit off for repair the day after we returned from our trip. Then it all started...

I could go through each and every issue but this would be a VERY long post. Suffice it to say, I was patient with them and was not "The Problem Customer". Maybe that was my problem as it seemed like they forgot about my unit until I would get ahold of someone and find out the status.

They told me that someone should contact me at least once a week to let me know how things were moving. I waited for 2-3 and sometimes 4 or 5 weeks before calling them.

I could go on... Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tic Tic Tic
That's the clock ticking on your warranty, the whole time the shop had it you couldn't use it.

Now that you have it back your warranty time has been reduced so if you do find something else wrong it may be out of warranty.

This happened to me on a new Class C I bought years ago, it developed an exhaust leak, the manifold actually cracked. It was a Ford and at the time it was a common problem so there were not new manifolds in stock anywhere (and I checked my self during the {4 months it was in the shop). When I got it back I requested an extension of warranty but was denied. Guess what, with a 4 month period the other manifold failed but I was out of warranty. Had to repair it myself on my dime.

So my advice is at minimum I'd contact the company and explain what happened, be nice, and request an extension of warranty. If you don't get a positive response work you way up the ladder.

In my case, after numerous problems with my Class C all them associated with the chassis, I finally resorted to sending a certified letter to Henry Clay Ford Jr and finally talked to someone. I should have done that sooner because he said they could have helped me but after ~4 years I was SOL.

Do a general Google search for contact information on the manufacturer concerning complaints. There is a website out there that has the numbers listed.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #3

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Gator View Post

I finally have my trailer back and it would seem that all of my initial Build concerns have been fixed. How should I proceed with this dealers service center from this point forward? They lied to me, would not return my calls or emails and had to re-do work at least 3 times on some things... It took 8 months to get items I first brought the unit in for service for to get resolved. Now that these items are resolved I will never go back to this particular facility. Do I eviscerate them in reviews, call corporate to provide feedback(if I could even find a number), or do I just walk away?

I appreciate all thoughts on this as I am pretty pissed off by their ambivalence.

Some background..

Purchased a new 5th wheel just over 8 months ago. Let me say this, we are happy with the unit, just not happy with it living in the service department for all but 45 days of it's life with us.

Initial Build of the unit left some things to be desired. Ok, I was warned that these units are not built like they used to be. I also know some parts are slow to be shipped. Ok... I can handle that...

Bought the unit... Saw some issues.. Took our first trip and found some more... Reported them and dropped the unit off for repair the day after we returned from our trip. Then it all started...

I could go through each and every issue but this would be a VERY long post. Suffice it to say, I was patient with them and was not "The Problem Customer". Maybe that was my problem as it seemed like they forgot about my unit until I would get ahold of someone and find out the status.

They told me that someone should contact me at least once a week to let me know how things were moving. I waited for 2-3 and sometimes 4 or 5 weeks before calling them.

A guy from church was in the same boat with a TT he bought. Biggest issue, outside the shoddy build, was he bought from Camping World. Anyway, he was somewhat philosophical about it and just figured he got 9 months of free "covered storage", as that's how long it was "being fixed". This was cumulative, not in one chunk. He'd have a list of things that needed to be fixed, re-fixed, re-re-fixed, re-re-re-fixed. He'd call them up and tell them he wanted to pick it up on X day so he could go camping. He'd go camping, come home, drop it back off at CW, usually with =new= issues or repeats of old issues, they'd pull it back into the shop, work on it (supposedly) until the next time he wanted to go camping. In the end, they got it pretty well fixed and, as he said, he got 9 months of free "covered parking". :-)

Lyle
Old 02-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #4

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Tic Tic Tic
That's the clock ticking on your warranty, the whole time the shop had it you couldn't use it.

Now that you have it back your warranty time has been reduced so if you do find something else wrong it may be out of warranty.

This happened to me on a new Class C I bought years ago, it developed an exhaust leak, the manifold actually cracked. It was a Ford and at the time it was a common problem so there were not new manifolds in stock anywhere (and I checked my self during the {4 months it was in the shop). When I got it back I requested an extension of warranty but was denied. Guess what, with a 4 month period the other manifold failed but I was out of warranty. Had to repair it myself on my dime.

So my advice is at minimum I'd contact the company and explain what happened, be nice, and request an extension of warranty. If you don't get a positive response work you way up the ladder.

In my case, after numerous problems with my Class C all them associated with the chassis, I finally resorted to sending a certified letter to Henry Clay Ford Jr and finally talked to someone. I should have done that sooner because he said they could have helped me but after ~4 years I was SOL.

Do a general Google search for contact information on the manufacturer concerning complaints. There is a website out there that has the numbers listed.
That almost certainly would have been a Ford warranty issue, not the RV mfr's issue. I =certainly= would have hammered the dealer on this from the get-go. Of course, I wouldn't have had an RV on a Ford base...

Lyle
Old 02-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
..or do I just walk away?
I'd just walk away and never darken their doorway again. Ever.

You and I discussed the dealership chain before. Similar results here but in a different part of town. I should've known better when I noticed their service lot had 3X as many RVs lying around as their new unit lot did.

Great sale prices. Worthless service.

They got me for a month lollygagging on a brake issue. I can't even begin to imagine 6+ months. I would've been livid. But again, I can see it happening as a normal scenario at this outfit. And unfortunately it isn't uncommon to the industry based on my readings on the forums here.

Anyway, just walk away is what I did.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:

Some background..

So since you asked for thoughts.... Do you have other dealers locally that could provide future service? What do you want from this crappy dealer at this point? Will spending the time to report them to corporate, bad reviews on FB, etc do anything for you other than blowing steam or what is it that you really hope to achieve by doing this? It's your time, seems they have already wasted abunch of it...will spending any more of it provide you any different results or some level of satisfaction?

I would write a profesionsl letter to the manufacture that provides all of the details of the warranty issues and their dealers level of customer service and profesionlaism so they are aware of the issues, documenting the timeline and loss of use all of this has cost you. Copy the dealer on it too. If you want something,( extened warranty, something upgraded, a free getaway, whatever) then demand it in the letter
Hope its all behind you now!!!
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #7

I AM the warrantee. Bought mine "as is". Signed the papers, gave them a check and never looked back. Components under warrantee I chase the manufacturer but, knock on genuine simulated wood, I haven't had any issues with this unit so far. Previous unit I bought new, also never went back to them.

I don't need that much annoyance in my life. I'd rather fix it myself, which I enjoy doing.

I know this is not for everyone. In my opinion if you're not a tool person you're better off buying a basket of time shares. Same lousy investment but you don't have to deal with the a-holes.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:00 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Thank you for your perspectives. I had planned on never darkening this companies doorway again after all of the repairs that they "Owned" were completed. As I am now whole with regards to the work that was done. I am simply put, very bitter and normally I am not even close to that.

I am waiting on the General Manager for the facility to call me back as I intend to write a factual review of this site to forewarn others. As I think of the sheer amount of content that I have, I want to see if anyone owns up to the straight up craptastic work they did not do. There are many long winded details I have not included. But yes, I was a thorn in their side. Did I get free storage, yes... Had I known, I would not have paid for a new spot when I bought the trailer.

Good companies cannot improve without constructive feedback. The question is are they deserved of constructive feedback? We will see by the attitude and demeanor of the GM's call.

Ultimately posting this and seeing others take on this has helped me "relax" on the issues that have pissed me off. Now I can focus on customizing my trailer and all of the ideas I have had for 8 months can begin.

Thank you all and safe travels..
Old 02-07-2022, 09:50 PM   #9

I never understand the reluctance to name names. If you are telling the truth (and can prove it, or at least not be disproved), there's no legal danger in doing so.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:11 AM   #10

The only way I’d have mercy on them is if it was a delay in warranty parts, and they could show me where they had ordered the parts in a reasonable amount of time(like a week).
Had a buddy with a dealer dragging their feet, so he went there on a Saturday, and walked around the new units people were looking at, and told them of his experience. Some how the 6-8 week estimate to repair turned into an hour, and he was ready to go.
Wowens79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:29 AM   #11

One recommendation
Make an appointment at the factory service center.
They could fix everything in a week that the dealer will take a year to do.
Worth the trip, sure better than 45 days.

I bought my 2020 Winnebago Horizon in March 2020, pre-Covid
In September I had a list of about 42 mostly small items.
Had a reservation for factory service and warranty work, in September 6months after purchase
Drove 1100 miles to Forest City, 5 days later all items fixed perfectly.
Since then I only had 5 items all small fixed this past September again in Forest City along with routine service for my generator, Aquahot, and other items that needed yearly service.
All done right, all done quick.

Go to the factory now!
Most dealer service centers are worthless and don’t want to do warranty work because it pays very little. They definitely don’t get the $200/hr fees from the manufacturer. That’s for sure.
They would rather fix the out of warranty units at $200/hr.
And that’s a fact! (As Meatloaf says)
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #12

When and if you get a call from the GM, (am betting you don't) I would ask for a mailing address, send a copy of what you have accumulated to his attention(registered mail-signature required), that way he can never claim he didn't get it..then mail a copy of the same to the manufacturer's consumer department(registered-signature required). Then follow up with the factory asking for an appointment(if convenient for you to go) and ask to have all the work done by the dealership reviewed and additional repairs made at no expense to you including lodging if necessary while they work on your rig. I like others don't understand the not saying the dealerships name. The rule of 200 is a very positive way to get a dealership/store or person's attention. It simply states the average person knows at least 200 people, if they are told something bad and truthful about a dealership, store, person whatever and they repeat it to the 200 they know. How far and how fast will a bad reputation or someone getting the shaft take...And it's even more with social media now a days..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Well, I have talked to the General Manager about the challenges with my unit, extended times, etc...

It was a good conversation and ultimately I can now walk away from Explore USA's Denton facility. Apparently they have too many open work orders and not enough staff. So much so that they are apparently closing service to any new requests until they can clear the backlog.

Time to customize my unit and expand my solar to 640 watts of panels...
Old 02-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #14

Quote:
So much so that they are apparently closing service to any new requests until they can clear the backlog.
I've heard that very recently about another place. Does not bode well for those buying today......

8 months is one thing but "never" is another story. There's gonna be "billable hours" (for the attorneys) here. I know that.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dealer, service