Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Air bags go on Friday

It shouldnt take me but a few hours to install the bags and compressor. I got the Airlift Ultimate 5000 bags and Wireless one compressor. She is tall, long and heavy!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_145851.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	143091
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

Looks nice!

Roll on.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
It shouldnt take me but a few hours to install the bags and compressor. I got the Airlift Ultimate 5000 bags and Wireless one compressor. She is tall, long and heavy!!

Attachment 143091

Thanks for posting the info. I've been looking at air bags for the truck and the trailer.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:

Attachment 143091
I am just guessing here but you do realize putting bags on your trailer will raise it another 2 to 4 inches which equates to extremely tall. You will definitely have to watch at fuel canopies and underpasses!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I am just guessing here but you do realize putting bags on your trailer will raise it another 2 to 4 inches which equates to extremely tall. You will definitely have to watch at fuel canopies and underpasses!
Rear bags under the truck not the trailer.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Loved the bags under my old truck, just did the manual valves though, it was fun loading up then airing up. New truck loves the weight, ride starts to smooth out at 2000 in the bed.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #7

just got them last week for my truck. Went with the Airlifts also but without the compressor. I have them at 30 pounds the first trip...curious what others are inflating to. there is a formula so many pounds weight per psi but I am way under that at the moment.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I always aired up after loading, on my F250 it took 49lbs to get the TC level, your experience may vary.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnirwin View Post
just got them last week for my truck. Went with the Airlifts also but without the compressor. I have them at 30 pounds the first trip...curious what others are inflating to. there is a formula so many pounds weight per psi but I am way under that at the moment.
Take a tape measure and measure from the ground to the highest point of the rear wheel well on both sides before you hook-up, then measure again after hooking up and retracting the landing gear. Fill the bags until the measurement on each side is the same as when empty, this will return the truck to its empty rear ride height and keep your headlight alignment.

Write down the air pressure in each bag and keep it in the truck so you don't have to measure it again. You can do this twice, once for light loads and again for a heavy load to make it easy to lower to the 5psi minimum to drive around town and then air up for towing.
Woodlandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandhill View Post
Take a tape measure and measure from the ground to the highest point of the rear wheel well on both sides before you hook-up, then measure again after hooking up and retracting the landing gear. Fill the bags until the measurement on each side is the same as when empty, this will return the truck to its empty rear ride height and keep your headlight alignment.

Write down the air pressure in each bag and keep it in the truck so you don't have to measure it again. You can do this twice, once for light loads and again for a heavy load to make it easy to lower to the 5psi minimum to drive around town and then air up for towing.
The wireless one retains three settings on the remote memory.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandhill View Post

What if original height causes the trailer not to tow level?
Old 10-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Raise or lower the hitch if you can. If not, your pin box may have height adjustments where it is mounted to the trailer. Ideally you want the truck to be level and at the original ride height and chassis geometry and the fiver to also be level when towing. Of course you also want enough clearance between the pin box and the truck bed and the fiver and the truck bed.....
Woodlandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
What if original height causes the trailer not to tow level?
That is the rub for most. I like my truck to drop a bit, maybe 1.5" so that the truck rides level instead of jacked up in the rear. Thats the main reason I did not install bags.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Chip View Post
That is the rub for most. I like my truck to drop a bit, maybe 1.5" so that the truck rides level instead of jacked up in the rear. Thats the main reason I did not install bags.
^^ x2 Good point the unloaded truck sits tail high. I've no use for bags either.

Pictures can be misleading at times but the one you posted sure doesn't necessitate needing much. Have you laid a tape measure on the trailer? What's in the garage?
The hitch head and pin box usually adjust in 1 1/4" increments.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote