Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Here is what we have:
2018 Road Warrior 427 45ft long wt. empty 16K loaded out we are around 18,750 lbs.
Truck: 2017 3500 Ram Dually, 6.7 Cummins with 4:10 rear ends Big Horn Edition
No air bags on the truck. When it is hitched the truck will squat down just about 3-4" but changed to the Mor-ride hitch on the Road Warrior. We use the Mopar puck 5th wheel hitch that we bought from the RAM dealer. It is the 25K hitch by MOPAR.
We don't get the chuckling or slapping when we tow if, we are loaded with the golf cart in the garage, without it we get a little chuckling.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #16

B&W makes a puck mount hitch version of the companion for the RAM that is a great hitch. I used one coupled with a Reese fifth Airborne air bag/shock combo in box that I really liked. Unfortunately, I had height issues with that combo that resulted in my 5er being too nose high and couldn't adjust it any lower.

Currently use a Reese Goosebox which again gives an air bag/shock combo which helps a lot with the ride, plus it has the advantage of no hitch in the truck. With the factory fifth wheel package you have the ball and safety chain mounts are quick and simple to install and remove.

My RAM has the factory self leveling air bag rear suspension.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #17

New truck, new trailer, high usage, you are crying out for the best, most comfortable tow, Trailer Saver TS3. In addition to absorbing bouncing forces, the unique design will dissipate chucking forces. Nothing else compares assuming you are looking for high quality, towing comfort and gear protection. Very heavy, not an "in and out" device. Expensive.

Unfortunately, Trailer Saver does not make a hitch which will install directly in the Ram puck system. You would have to use the TS3 in conjunction with a Demco Ram prep bracket.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
With a pin weight of 4000lbs you might not need the airbags to level. I would go with a air ride style pin on the trailer.

I prefer the Goosebox for many reasons. Air ride is just one of them.
The Reese Goosebox currently only makes products for two different pin boxes, and will hopefully have more offerings in the future.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #19

We have a F350SRW and tow a Cedar Creek which weighs about 15k when loaded for a 2 week trip with no water. 9k is on the axles and 3k is on the pin. I put airbags on the truck because it sat a little low and would cycle the suspension pretty well on the road. I only run 15-20 lbs of air and didn't get the onboard compressor. The air bags levelled it out and gives a better ride in my opinion.

We have a 20K Reese GooseBox which I would recommend. Only having to drop the ball in is great and the GB also has air suspension which is very nice.

If I wanted something different I'd look at Comfort Ride Hitch, they use an aircell technology that is impressive. Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #20

Call Hensly if you have a hitch question. I have a BD 3 . Have had it since 2012 . It is a great air ride hitch and worth every penny . Your trailer just floats and much less shock to the truck and the people in it.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by masdixdragon View Post
Were taking delivery of our GD 377MBSR in May as I was wondering if our Ram3500 Dually Diesel would benefit from rear airbags? I was thinking this would help with ride leveling and was wondering if this helps with cushioning the 5th wheel trailer hitch ride at all?
Were also considering other air cushion options like pin box and hitches but many arent set up for our particular factory puck system for some odd reason and its pretty costly on the hitch end but we be full timing and working around the mid west for 9 months moving frequently.

Advice and experiences appreciated before we pull the trigger on which way to go with this

Thanks

We have a 2017 RAM 3500 Dually Laramie and added AirRide 7500XL bags. We tow a 41' 5th wheel that is 20k gvwr, with approx 4600lb pin weight.

We have a 100g fuel tank in the bed, plus a B&W Companion hitch. We often carry a 70g water tank behind it. The truck weights ~ 11,000 loaded.

Prior to installing the airbags, with the trailer attached, fuel and water in the truck tanks, water in the trailer tanks, the truck would squat slightly lower (about 1') in the rear, than level. The ride was fine and as expected.

Once we installed the AirRide 7500xl bags and independent compressors with blow-off valves I was able to adjust the ride height to exactly where I wanted it (truck level + ~1' in the rear).

I find that the ride is slightly more comfortable as the airbags do provide additional cushion and dampen the transfer of bumps from the road to the body of the truck.

We installed the system ourselves, so for the price of the kit it was worth it for us.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Well, after pulling for about 8000 miles without air bags on my new then 2014 Ram 2500 decided to go for the bags. While it "won't" increase your weight capacity to haul/tow, it will lessen the pin shock on the 5th wheel, keep your ride at factory height, and finally keep your headlight alignment on the road as well. For the $500 and an afternoons activity, a friend can help along with a "cold one", , it was certainly worth the effort and expense in my opinion. Ps. Did tow through Alaska and towed the 38', 14K 5th Wheel Toy Hauler to the Artic Ocean twice on the roughest roads imaginable. No shock or suspension damage in over 12K miles. Again, IMO, well worth the expense and effort.
WELL SAID- works for me...............
Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #23

OK...after looking at everything Im now leaning to the flex-aire pin box with a B&W companion hitch and adding airbags to the rear axle just for leveling...might not need the bags but if I do they are there and not really a major expenditure...
but one thing I was wondering about does the B&W hitch have any rotation give to the sides (i.e. left and right of center line of tv)? and would I want that with the flex-aire pin box or is that too much possible flex/travel?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Can you replace the trailer springs with bags and shocks? That would help when towing. (And reduce the step into the house) Then delete the overloads, and part of the main spring pack, and replace with bags. That will give a soft ride MT.
I have installed trail arm air suspension with fluid filled shocks on my DRV LX450. The chucking, swaying and and bouncing went totally away. I have a solid gooseneck pin box on my 2017 F450 with air bags on the truck. I run about 45 pounds in them to lift truck about 1/2 inch. The whole rig rides like its on glass compared to the spring suspension on the trailer. Best investment I ever made in the 5ver.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdixdragon View Post
OK...after looking at everything Im now leaning to the flex-aire pin box with a B&W companion hitch and adding airbags to the rear axle just for leveling...might not need the bags but if I do they are there and not really a major expenditure...
but one thing I was wondering about does the B&W hitch have any rotation give to the sides (i.e. left and right of center line of tv)? and would I want that with the flex-aire pin box or is that too much possible flex/travel?
Sounds like an excellent combo hitch setup. The B&W pivots about 10 degrees side to side IIRC. I've had my B&W almost 10 years now. My only complaint is, it seems to be getting heavier each time I R&R it.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Sounds like an excellent combo hitch setup. The B&W pivots about 10 degrees side to side IIRC. I've had my B&W almost 10 years now. My only complaint is, it seems to be getting heavier each time I R&R it.....

Honestly I dont plan on taking it out much if ever...I installed a retraxpro MX rolling aluminum cover to keep things secure when not towing and plan on just using the back end of while working for daily storage with long bed and the locking tailgate. Thanks for the info on the B&W..didnt really see that online anywhere.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love my B&W Companion. Very quiet with no slop with the king pin and silent pivoting. It is heavy though.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
New truck, new trailer, high usage, you are crying out for the best, most comfortable tow, Trailer Saver TS3. In addition to absorbing bouncing forces, the unique design will dissipate chucking forces. Nothing else compares assuming you are looking for high quality, towing comfort and gear protection. Very heavy, not an "in and out" device. Expensive.

Unfortunately, Trailer Saver does not make a hitch which will install directly in the Ram puck system. You would have to use the TS3 in conjunction with a Demco Ram prep bracket.

Hensley called me last night and did indicate they have an adapter plate for a TS3 for the Ram puck system and has over all adjustment from 14 to 19" which is the right combo for my application...because of the larger spread of the pucks it was too unruly to make a direct fit. They also indicated they have in house financing for 1 year as it is pretty costly when you add freight. Very nice hitch undoubtedly and very tempting but I still like the idea of the air bags on the truck for leveling which no hitch is going to help. Not really sure if air bags and an air hitch are a wise idea?

Tags
5th wheel, air