Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our 2006 Wildcat 30' 5'er last fall, and heading into this summer, we plan on traveling (alot). We are concerned that the current air conditioner may not be large enough, as we have a 13,500 BTU, single unit, which is centrally ducted. We see two air conditioning units atop many of the other 5'ers and are starting to get concerned. We will be traveling with out two cats, which would make matters even worse if the air cannot keep up.
Any thoughts you may have on this, I would certainly appreciate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We bought our 2006 Wildcat 30' 5'er last fall, and heading into this summer, we plan on traveling (alot). We are concerned that the current air conditioner may not be large enough, as we have a 13,500 BTU, single unit, which is centrally ducted. We see two air conditioning units atop many of the other 5'ers and are starting to get concerned. We will be traveling with out two cats, which would make matters even worse if the air cannot keep up.
Any thoughts you may have on this, I would certainly appreciate.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #3

I think your right at the middle with a 30'.I had a 35' TT and the one ac was not enough down south.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #4

we have a 30'TT with the same size A/C, also a 16lb long haired cat. On St. pat's day in Quartzsite AZ it was 104f. The a/c kept the TT very comfy and cool for the cat, who I did find sleeping on the dinette table with air ducts blowing his fur!
Dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for responding. This is our 1st experiece at RV'ing and as we enter retirement and the new adventures, I am certain that I am micro-managing everything. Now we just need to stop fretting, and enjoy.
See ya'll down the road I hope somewhere.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the southern climates in summer, you will be marginal. Keep the windows shaded and parked in shade, especially from the noon and west sun and you will slip a bit but should be OK. Full Sun, you will have a hard time.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We found out the hard way while at a rally in Tow Texas on the 4th of July a couple of years ago that our 15K Carrier wouldn't do the job and we really found out when the compressor went out on it that same week end. Went the next week and added a Coleman Low profile Unit (8900 BTU) to the bedroom and we are now comfortable and have the insurance of the additional unit should one fail. The Coleman has turned out to be a excellent choice and it actually cools the whole rig by itself better that the larger Carrier alone. Hope this is of some help.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #8

I think ducted A/C is a bad thing. We have a 15K ducted and a 13.5K standard in our 5er. The front 13.5 will cool the entire coach, but the 15K will not in 90* weather.Our 5er is 40' long though. One thing you should check is the ducting, most have openings between the cool air and intake air. Taping these opening closed really helps. Camping World sells a bottom unit for ducted A/C units so the cool air may be directed down,if desired, as a standard A/C unit; gonna get me one!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #9

My guess would be that a 13.5K unit will struggle some in a unit that big, especially if you have a number of slides (or spend much time in hot or humid areas of the country).
Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Several RVs back, we had a 30' single slideout 5th wheel with a single 13.5K BTU A/C. This worked fine in Ohio, but when we moved back to the Houston, Texas area, we quickly learned that the temperature and humidity (sensible and latent heat load) were too much for the A/C to handle once temperatures went over about 85 degF. Above that, the temperature inside the RV went up about 1 degree for every 1 degree increase in outdoor (ambient) temperature. Direct sunlight increased the radiant heat load and made matters worse.

When we bought our next 5th wheel (a 36' triple slide), the dealer assured us that a single 15K BTU A/C would handle it, but we insisted on the optional 13.5K BTU 2nd A/C, and we were glad we did.

Based on our experience, our philosophy on RV air conditioners is, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think ducted A/C is a bad thing. We have a 15K ducted and a 13.5K standard in our 5er. The front 13.5 will cool the entire coach, but the 15K will not in 90* weather.Our 5er is 40' long though. One thing you should check is the ducting, most have openings between the cool air and intake air. Taping these opening closed really helps. Camping World sells a bottom unit for ducted A/C units so the cool air may be directed down,if desired, as a standard A/C unit; gonna get me one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow us to. out bedroom unit will freeze us out
while the ducted unit struggles, even after many vents removals to plug air leaks into the attic it still feels like its struggling... we have a chill grill that lets about 80% of the air supply blown down into the living room it helps when its near 100 out side
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote