Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2022, 12:01 AM   #1

Air ride pin box

I was planning on pulling the factory pin box off my 5er and have it repowdercoated since it’s all faded but found a Reese airborne pin box locally for a really good price . To all y’all that run them are they really that much better on the ride quality ? My camper is 38’ and around 14k on weight .
spooled05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #2

Anything air is going to be better than no air but all air pinboxes are not equal.

I currently have a 5th Airborn on my 34', 12,000lb 5er. An Alpenlite 34RLR.

My previous trailer was also an Alpenlite 34RLR. It had a Trail Air pinbox.

The difference is night & day. The Trail Air was far superior. Cost more too.

Completely different designs. The Trail Air hinges forward & has alot of travel. The Airborn hinges aft & has very little travel. The only thing better about the Airborne is the airbag is inside the pinbox protected from the elements. The TrailAir airbag is right on the front exposed to the elements.

I'd gladly pay the extra for the TrailAir if given the choice, but hey, some air is better than nothing at all.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #3

The Air Ride pin box is outstanding and making a change would be a step down IMHO!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #4

Gen Y

Another option might be the Gen Y hitch.

I have one on my 20k# fifth wheel and I am very impressed how 'soft' it makes the bumpy roads feel inside the cab.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get a far better ride from a Trailer saver BD5 or TS3 hitch. I sent you a PM. Since we are no longer full timing I am selling my air ride hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV MS View Post
Another option might be the Gen Y hitch.

I have one on my 20k# fifth wheel and I am very impressed how 'soft' it makes the bumpy roads feel inside the cab.
I put one on too. Don't think it made a whole lot of difference on the ride, but you can't beat the convenience.

https://thecastle.blog/pin-box-goose-box/
Old 11-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
I put one on too. Don't think it made a whole lot of difference on the ride, but you can't beat the convenience.

https://thecastle.blog/pin-box-goose-box/
I have the Gen-Y gooseneck, I think the ride is pretty good. Having a totally clear bed after you unhitch is awesome as I use my truck for thing besides towing.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

I have two friends with the new version of the Gen-Y gooseneck. Both said they didn’t notice a BIG difference. I always aske the question “would you buy it again”? One said NO, the other wasn’t sure.

Curt, Blue Ox and Anderson, just to mention a few, offer empty beds with little work and can do by yourself. Any of them pared with a good pinbox is a good choice for an excellent tow!
Old 11-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I have two friends with the new version of the Gen-Y gooseneck. Both said they didn’t notice a BIG difference. I always aske the question “would you buy it again”? One said NO, the other wasn’t sure.

Curt, Blue Ox and Anderson, just to mention a few, offer empty beds with little work and can do by yourself. Any of them pared with a good pinbox is a good choice for an excellent tow!
"Little Work"..... Depending on how often you do it, that can still be a lot. Once I unhook it takes less than a minute to get the ball and chains out. I have a TC and I use the truck for hauling, even at places I camp. Convenience is HIGH on the list.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #10

Hi Oscar and point well taken. You need both pulling and bed access. I can easily understand a gooseneck would fit that very well.

I guess the question is, will it pull and perform well with a 42’ fifth wheel at 18000 pounds as well as a traditional fifth wheel setup?

OK, “As well” is not the right way to frame the discussion. Because both can perform “well”! Looking at it from vibration, chucking etc, will the gooseneck perform as well as a well set up fifth wheel pinbox and hitch combination?

I believe the answer to be NO! And I’m confident there are folks out there who have put a meter on it who came to that same conclusion.

I’d be interested if you’d chime in if you’ve done so?
Old 11-27-2022, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Oscar and point well taken. You need both pulling and bed access. I can easily understand a gooseneck would fit that very well.

I guess the question is, will it pull and perform well with a 42’ fifth wheel at 18000 pounds as well as a traditional fifth wheel setup?

OK, “As well” is not the right way to frame the discussion. Because both can perform “well”! Looking at it from vibration, chucking etc, will the gooseneck perform as well as a well set up fifth wheel pinbox and hitch combination?

I believe the answer to be NO! And I’m confident there are folks out there who have put a meter on it who came to that same conclusion.

My trailer is 42.5 feet and 18,500 lbs. Vibration is non existent and chucking is rare. Very happy with the ride. The Gen-Y has to be matched to the load, on mine the load indicator is right in the middle.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:43 PM   #12

Consider physics: If the Gen-Y torsion links are pointing downwards towards the truck, the pin will push forward on the truck when the front of the trailer is compressed exacerbating chucking. If the torsion links are level to pointing upwards, they will serve to retract the pin during compression and relieve chucking forces. This is why pin weight is important when choosing which model to use.

If you buy a rear hinged air pin box that has the lower suspended arm pointing downwards in the installed position, it will make chucking worse. Look at the side of the pin box and visualize what happens when the item is compressed. If it pushes forward - bad, if it retracts - good.

The design of the Goosebox has it set up correctly.

A Reese 5th Airborne appears to be pretty good when the hitch is centered in the inflation window. I wouldn't add more air or your tow will get worse.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #13

I had a Trailer Saver TS3, towing an 18K lb 5er for 12 years of fulltime travel (175K miles), before switching to a TrailAir for the last 2 years. If you can afford the cost, & don't plan to remove the hitch often, go for the TS3. It's a wonderful hitch. The only reason I switched was because I've added a truck camper, & semi permanently parked the 5er, so I'll be removing the hitch often. The TrailAir is a good hitch, but not quite as nice a ride as the Trailer Saver. Either one will be a great improvement over a no air hitch.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #14

Quote:

So on my blog page I explain that I did over 2000 miles with the straight steel pin box the unit came with on a similarly rigid B&G hitch. And it was a very nice ride.

After putting in the GenY The ride is about the same.

Years ago I hade a Cyclone with a bag in the pin box, two in the hitch and two on the axle. Yes that's 5 bags. The ride sucked and it was the main reason we got rid of it.

This time around it's much better. I give the truck a lot of credit. There's some technology in our 2020 RAM that our then new 2011 Chevy HD didn't have. (Both diesels, both duallies.)

So there are a LOT of variables. Hardware, truck, loading, trailer suspension, road quality..... I don't want to get into harmonics and how oscillations can amplify or decrease each other, but we've all experienced the "buckin' bronco" at some point in our camping careers.

Again, a LOT of variables. So if you don't like what you have, you can spend some $$ and try something different. Outcomes are not guaranteed. And what someone else experienced, or THINK they experienced, as people are prone to seeing improvement if they shelled out $$, may or may not not be what you experience.

Many overthink all this. And there's a whole industry ready to take your money and give you the magic fix. Bottom line is that 20,000 pound campers behind 9000 pound trucks are not going to be a magic carpet ride. There's a reason semis have air seats.

Tags
air, ride