Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 10:03 AM   #15

Hi Bhidalgo, I sent you three PM’s and can’t tell if any of them got to you? If hey have please excuse my stuffing your ballot box.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #16

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Bhidalgo, I sent you three PM’s and can’t tell if any of them got to you? If hey have please excuse my stuffing your ballot box.
No problem. I got a few but answered back about an hour ago. Hope it helps.
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #17

Thank you sir and I appreciate your reply. I’m really surprised the forum doesn’t show when a PM is sent.

Thanks again
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Thank you sir and I appreciate your reply. I’m really surprised the forum doesn’t show when a PM is sent.

Thanks again
I does. It's up in the right corner where you login info's at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	712.8 KB
ID:	337464  
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #19

Just ordered a 310RL with the generator yesterday. So excited. They’re saying it should come off the line around 9/12. Anxious to know others experience with timeliness of delivery if you’ve ordered. Just joined this group.
HelotesAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelotesAg View Post
Just ordered a 310RL with the generator yesterday. So excited. They’re saying it should come off the line around 9/12. Anxious to know others experience with timeliness of delivery if you’ve ordered. Just joined this group.
We bought a 310RL in February but that was from dealer stock and they only had to transfer it from Idaho Falls to Cheyenne which took 2 weeks due to winter weather. But getting the Onan generator shipped and installed at the dealership took another 5 weeks due to manufacturer backlog. As an unintentional bonus, the trailer had the 190W solar package with inverter installed.

I would ask if Alliance is experiencing similar part and material shortages as other manufacturers. That could screw up the best manufacturing schedule.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #21

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
... But getting the Onan generator shipped and installed at the dealership took another 5 weeks due to manufacturer backlog.
Our only choice for the generator was to get it installed at the factory because nobody else has them (at least that's what dealer said). They assured me that they (Alliance) has the generator for me. Fingers crossed!

Earlier there was a discussion about getting progress pictures, did anyone ever figure out if that's really a possibility? That would be fun. I did watch a factory tour video on YouTube and they mentioned that when they have a customer order going they tag our RV with our name on it as it's going down the line.
HelotesAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #22

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelotesAg View Post
Our only choice for the generator was to get it installed at the factory because nobody else has them (at least that's what dealer said). They assured me that they (Alliance) has the generator for me. Fingers crossed!

Earlier there was a discussion about getting progress pictures, did anyone ever figure out if that's really a possibility? That would be fun. I did watch a factory tour video on YouTube and they mentioned that when they have a customer order going they tag our RV with our name on it as it's going down the line.
Our rig is due to hit the assembly line on the 18th of this month, then scheduled to be in our hands by September 1st. We did not go with the preinstalled generator, however. Instead, we are getting the Solar package with upgraded panels and Inverter. I also just purchased a Champion 4500w Dual Fuel portable generator in case we need to use it. We just did not have the extra money for the preinstalled one PLUS didn't want to deal with the added weight an installed one would add.

As for the pictures, I have emailed and spoken to Tanner at Alliance and he is going to get me progress pics as the rig advances down the line. He's in sales at Alliance HQ. He told me they do it all the time...Can't wait to see how it turns out. Saw the corporate video tour of the line on YouTube. I also worked on Navy aircraft for 29 years and built Boeing 787's for two years so seeing the inner workings and layout of the RV is exciting.

The biggest thing I still have to get is a hitch. Looking at a B&W 20K. We are not expecting our 2022, SWB, standard bed length F350 to arrive until after the end of September, so the rig is going to sit either in the dealer lot OR at a storage facility we have reserved until the 350 shows up, unfortunately. We have an F250 but its cargo capacity is less than the pin weight of the rig and I will not knowingly exceed vehicle limits. I'm hearing lots of competing advice on getting a slider or standard 5th wheel hitch. Need some NO S#!T advice on which way to go with that. Need to get the hitch ordered and in-house for when the truck arrives. Looking at ordering through eTrailer OR using a local trailer business to get it. So much to do ... and getting it done one bite at a time. Bill...
Old 08-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidalgo View Post
......I'm hearing lots of competing advice on getting a slider or standard 5th wheel hitch. Need some NO S#!T advice on which way to go with that....
The problem is that it depends on your personal acceptable level of risk. The non-slider is absolutely fine if you always pay attention when backing in. In my case, given my scatter brain, I know I will screw up sometimes so the auto-slider was an easy choice. Yes it is heavy, but I hung a cheap Harborfreight chain hoist with king pin simulator from the garage rafters and can easily take the hitch in and out by myself.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

Coastal Campers
Quote:
The problem is that it depends on your personal acceptable level of risk. The non-slider is absolutely fine if you always pay attention when backing in. In my case, given my scatter brain, I know I will screw up sometimes so the auto-slider was an easy choice. Yes it is heavy, but I hung a cheap Harborfreight chain hoist with king pin simulator from the garage rafters and can easily take the hitch in and out by myself.
Jerry Thanks. I have a few weeks at most to make a decision and get it. I've looked at both versions and with my jacked-up back from the Navy A hoist would definitely be a requirement with the Slider for me to move it in/out of the truck. So many decisions to make to go out and have "fun".
Old 08-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #25

An alternative to a hoist is to leave it hooked upto the trailer, release the pins from the hitch then raise the trailer, drive out from underneath leaving the hitch connected to the trailer.
StewartMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidalgo View Post
Jerry Thanks. I have a few weeks at most to make a decision and get it. I've looked at both versions and with my jacked-up back from the Navy A hoist would definitely be a requirement with the Slider for me to move it in/out of the truck. So many decisions to make to go out and have "fun".
I’ve read all of the pros and cons. I like the thought of a simple, lightweight hitch like the Andersen. I also know that I may forget and back to far and bust up my cab. So, I decided to get a slider. Maybe I’ll stop using it after a while but feel that I need some time to learn since this is my first fifth wheel.

I did lots of searching and found a new, unused Reese puck adapter for my Ford and then a lightly used Curt Q20 slider; all in for $600. I’ll setup some of hoist in my garage if I take it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4E7BC17-1A37-4102-A3A4-DC50AA9AB6D3.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	338930  
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #27

For the folks who have ordered an Alliance this may be interesting, regarding the choice of truck. I weighed my 310RL with F350 SRW diesel today on a calibrated CAT scale and found that I am right at the border of (or slightly above) the rear axle specs.

Details in this post: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/so-i...ml#post5866868

Skip the beginning of the thread where I used a non-calibrated scale and came up with too optimistic numbers.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
The problem is that it depends on your personal acceptable level of risk.
Sage advice.

Dad (RIP my best friend!) and mom full-timed many moons ago. Standard box pickup. Slider hitch. Still popped the back window once during a somewhat unlevel backing turning maneuver. Dad apparently got experienced at backing without having to slide the hitch head back. Got a bit overconfident that one occurrence, and it bit him.

In short, he had a slider, didn't use it all the time when backing because he "knew" the limits of keeping it in the tow position, and popped the window. To OP, if you go the slider route, be sure to use it, or you're pretty much in the same boat as me and other standard box owners not having a slider. Otherwise, get an auto-slider if you want less worries (other than weight of course!).

2 cents: I'd start with the non-slider and swap the head onto a slider base if the pucker factor gets too high. Haven't puckered here yet!

Tags
alliance, paradigm