Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
OK, let's try again. In addition to the Michelins I cited above, our new 5th wheel (see signature) came from the factory with the Load Range G Goodyear G614RST radials - in LT235/85R-16G size. If you'll check out the Goodyear website, you'll see that the G614RST is an all-steel construction radial - a pure trailer tire that is "Designed for optimal performance on both low platform trailers and enclosed trailers." Now, if you'll click on the Sizes and Specifications link, you'll see that the only size this tire series is offered in is the LT235/85R-16G.

The previous poster's suggestion was to use 16" tires on the RV, not the truck.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RustyJC:
OK, let's try again. In addition to the Michelins I cited above, our new 5th wheel (see signature) came from the factory with the Load Range G Goodyear G614RST radials - in _LT_235/85R-16G size. If you'll check out the http://www.goodyear.com/truck/products/G614RST.html, you'll see that the G614RST is an all-steel construction radial - a pure trailer tire that is "Designed for optimal performance on both low platform trailers and enclosed trailers." Now, if you'll click on the http://www.goodyear.com/truck/products/G614RSTSize.html link, you'll see that the only size this tire series is offered in is the _LT_235/85R-16G.

The previous poster's suggestion was to use 16" tires on the RV, not the truck.

Rusty <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey RustyJC, you may want to read what you are writing because you just confired what I said. Your trailer came with TRAILER TIRES as you so eloquently wrote and I "a pure trailer tire that is "Designed for optimal performance on both low platform trailers and enclosed trailers"
Enough said.

Also CyberVet65 was the one that said " posted January 17, 2005 07:28 PM
Try 16 inch tires on the RV. It is nice because you now have four spare tires that are the same size as your tow vehicle.
Chet "

And as I stated AIN't happening with an 03 or newer Dodge Ram. They have 17" tires or larger.

I would also like to mention that the Michelin tire you talk about is also a TRAILER TIRE!!!
Design for commercial trailers NOT cars and trucks!!!!!

Oh yeah did I say "Enough Said"
Old 01-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
All right, it appears that the point has been made that a trailer tire isn't necessarily designated "ST" - there are also tires recommended by their respective manufacturers for trailer service that are marketed as "LT" tires.

In addition to trailer applications, the Michelin XPS Rib is designed to serve as a truck steer axle tire to be used in conjunction with the Michelin XPS Traction tires that are designed for drive axle usage.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #18

Interesting discussion. Apparently some trailer tires are listed as LT's...

Anyway, I was aware I couldn't use them as spares on my truck, anyway, since nothing smaller than a 17" rim will clear the brake calipers on my truck, plus the truck has more lugs.

Currently, replacing my perfectly fine wheels and tires doesn't make economic sense. Maybe when I'm due for a set of tires...

At this point, I think I will either live with it the way it is (2" difference front to back shouldn't cause any problems, should it?) or I will just buy 4 spring pads and flip the axles (if I didn't like it, I could put it back and only be out about $40).

Thanks all for the replys.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #19

My Cardinal 5th wheel came from the factory with 235/85R/16 tires. The exact same tires that were on my F350. That is the only reason I mentioned the "spare tires".
And you are correct. At one time tires were made specifically for trailers. They had a very strong sidewalls. But many tire manufacturers are making vehicle (truck) tires to the same specificstions. At one time I had an article bookmarked that detailed the differences between trailer and vehicle tires. As I recall the biggest difference was the sidewall construction.
Chet
Old 02-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Hello Jeff.
The most reasonable way to raise the trailer in
my opinion is to cut off the existing shackles
from the frame, then weld on to the frame a one
or two inch length of steel tube. Once that is done weld the shackles back on to the tube.
This way your axles and all the suspension will
remain as originally designed. No messing with truck etc.The size tubing you choose will determine the lift you will obtain.
This is assuming your rig has standard springs
and suspension and not some other fancy rig.
Cheers.
Brian.

Cummins 6BT5.9
Brian Cloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 03:52 AM   #21

I had the same thing done as Brian.
* I liked the truck the way it was. No way I was going to lower the rear
* The axle came from the factory, already flipped So that was not an option
* I took the 5vr down to the local shop and they added tube steel to the frame, with reinforcment (nice work)
* new spring mounts
* Rides just as good as before
* no wind issues
* The 5vr already had three steps for the door, so the extra highth was no issue

I my humble opinon -
1 - flip first (cheapest)
2 - weld on tube steel
Old 02-08-2005, 07:14 AM   #22

Thanks guys. I wondered about doing that, but was a bit concerned about keeping everything aligned properly.

Sounds like neither of you had any issues, so I think I will look into it.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #23

Good luck and tell us how it turns out!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:18 AM   #24

Well, after all that, I ended up doing the flip... Turned out to be more of an ordeal than I figured.

I ordered 4 spring seats from an online place... They sent the wrong ones- for a smaller diameter axle. Called them up, got put on hold twice, then told that they would e-mail a return label and ship correct parts right away.

Next day, no e-mailed return label. E-mailed them- where's the label, and confirm correct parts are coming... Get reply with return label and explanation of return policy... I send reply, what about my second question, I have an appointment with a welder? No reply, so I call them- no, they didn't ship correct spring seats, and they show they only have 3 in stock?

Cancelled that, ordered from auto part store. Two days later, they are in- except their supplier only sent 2. A few days later, go back to store, the other two are in- wrong ones...

Sorry, I guess I needed to vent... (I can't wait to see if the online place credited my card back)

Anyhow, I guess the low cost and the fact that it can be undone easily made me go with the flip. I'm into it under $100 including certified welder, and a stack of damaged 4x12's I cut up for blocking (took axles out myself).

It seems to tow fine, though it also seems to jar the truck around more when the trailer bounces around. I suspect the longer moment arm of having the pinbox and the hitch each one notch more extended.

Next project will probably be shocks. It has mounts, but the axle side mounts are on the plate that the U bolts bolt to, which is now upside down and won't work without being modified... I guess it never ends.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank everyone for the advice .
Old 03-28-2005, 07:13 AM   #25

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...and a stack of damaged 4x12's I cut up for blocking (took axles out myself). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff,

I flipped my axles as well and don't notice any additional jarring of the TV once weight is in the trailer.
And it will be interesting to see if your card is credited for the returned parts.

And to a RVing packrat such as myself, NO amount of cut 4x12"s could be considered damaged once I get my hands on them. When I sold my previous 5'r, I was even a little bummed that the new owner asked me if he could keep my collection of cut wood scraps. Darn it I thought to myself, I should have hidden them.!! At any rate, i am now collecting my new collection of 2x12" and 4x12" for new 5'r.
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I flipped my axles as well and don't notice any additional jarring of the TV once weight is in the trailer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was wondering about that. I only took it on a short shakedown run with tanks empty (still winterized), but there was one quad in the back.

Obviously it will usually run with a full tank, and often a second quad, so maybe that will help.