Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

!#@$&! 50 Amp Cord

Okay, so the new FW has a 50a cord. I never realized how hefty they are. I realize it's cold outside, but I could hardly get it pushed into the storage bay when I broke camp. I guess I've seen cord reels advertised for sale; never looked closely at them, but this cord is so stiff I doubt it would roll up on a reel! What does everyone do with these things?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Okay, so the new FW has a 50a cord. I never realized how hefty they are. I realize it's cold outside, but I could hardly get it pushed into the storage bay when I broke camp. I guess I've seen cord reels advertised for sale; never looked closely at them, but this cord is so stiff I doubt it would roll up on a reel! What does everyone do with these things?

Know what you mean, the 50A cord on our coach has a large diameter and when it's cold, just have to wrestle that sucker into the bay..lots of fun

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some are stiffer than others! I just coil mine up in the bottom of the electrical bay with no problems. But Newmar (as well as others) supposedly uses a more flexible wire than some others.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Agree--50 amps cords can be a PITA. My cable reel has performed flawlessly for over 12 years---hot or cold. Seems the 50 cords have a pre-defined coil pattern in them that the cable reel manages to leverage--dont ask me how it knows [smile]....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #5

Unfortunately, the 50 amp cords I have owned are all temperamental in cold weather. If you have a small bay, you just have to get physical with it. Of course, do your best to be in places where the 50amp cord stows easily due to warm climes.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
When I had my 5th wheel I just threw the cord in the truck if we were going to another rv park. if we were stopping somewhere I would lock it in a bay. Yes they are stiff when it is cold.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

I'm loving our Glendinning power reel! Sorry, I know I shouldn't gloat.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post

I'm loving our Glendinning power reel! Sorry, I know I shouldn't gloat.
What's even BETTER is a Glendenning Cablemaster RLC which doesn't need a reel just a compartment to stuff it into.

Another thing to make sure is that whatever 50 amp power cord you use the casing should be SOOW rated.

If anyone would like to replace their old stiff non-flexible power cord with one that will never give you problems in ANY weather choose THIS ONE. You won't be disappointed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I find it a little easier to coil as much as possible before I cram it into the compartment.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could pick up some of those styro foam pool "noodles" and slice one side from the hole to the outside so you could slip them over the cord. the insulation may help and they are light and could easily store. Maybe need only a couple or 3 for the exposed cord outside the RV????
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What's even BETTER is a Glendenning Cablemaster RLC which doesn't need a reel just a compartment to stuff it into.

Another thing to make sure is that whatever 50 amp power cord you use the casing should be SOOW rated.

If anyone would like to replace their old stiff non-flexible power cord with one that will never give you problems in ANY weather choose THIS ONE. You won't be disappointed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Excellent advice. SOOW rated cord stays flexible down to -40F.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
You could pick up some of those styro foam pool "noodles" and slice one side from the hole to the outside so you could slip them over the cord. the insulation may help and they are light and could easily store. Maybe need only a couple or 3 for the exposed cord outside the RV????
I had a 20 amp cord actually melt the insulation as I left it coiled and used a small electric rototiller on it. I still use it after I wrapped it with tape in the thin spots.
Not sure if the same could happen to a 50 amp cord inside the noodles, probably not but I'm not going to chance it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Not to change the subject of this thread but I remember reading somewhere NOT to leave an extension cord partially coiled up or any 30 or 50 amp shore power cord partially coiled as it causes it to heat up due to the coiling and acting like an electric coil.

Why this happens is beyond my electrical knowledge base so take that information with a grain of salt.

electricity - Effects of a Coiled Cable - Physics Stack Exchange

Danger of coiled extension cord [Archive] - MX-5 Miata Forum

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...0125802AAs2Ufo

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
oh, it does, we have had a few cords get melted that way due to various son's not knowing about that and trying to have less trip cord when using the hedgehog, etc....of course, it only took 1 time for each son to learn that... we have 4 sons.