Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #127

Anderson Hitch Doesn't Chuck, See Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
I followed up on this topic reading reviews of which over 90% of owners of Andersen hitches seem to be deliriously happy (which I do not mean in a satirical way). Check out the reviews on Amazon to read the results for a sampling.

I found only one report of component failure and an additional note that some states require safety chains with any hitch using a ball coupling. That owner was unaware of the law and was required to unhitch by a Texas state trooper where he was and could not move the fiver until chains were installed, if I am reading his post correctly.

Dozens and dozens of owners continue to report it either greatly reduced or completely eliminated chucking Not all reported complete elimination of chucking! (I am assuming common sense was employed in terms of leveling, fifth wheel weight distribution, pin weight, and so forth).

That leaves me with only a few possibilities. Either the Andersen hitch really does work as well as people are describing. Owners reporting high levels of satisfaction are delusional. Or none of them have fifth wheels that ever had an issue with chucking and don't know what it is (although more than one sounded knowledgeable on the subject).

It seems safe to at least conclude Andersen hitch owners are satisfied with their purchase. Some sound like they are glowing! Now I have to admit, I don't understand how the effect can be so dramatic as not all traditional hitches have slop, but it is difficult to overlook so many reports which seem to be consistent. I also do not understand why neither of the main suppliers to dealerships are distributing Andersen hitches. Maybe the company is still too small to be on their radar screens.

Steve
Its easy to understand the no chucking or bucking Steve when you think of all the different nuts, bolts ,clamps, slides, plates ect on any conventional 5th wheel hitch. Compare that to an ungreased ball with a coupler attached this equals, no multiple parts to move causing actions, reactions= no chucking
I love mine andposted somewhere here before that pulling my 34 ft HR Presidential 5th wheel with my 1999 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel felt like the monorail at Disney world My rig was stuck fast steady and glued to the road. A great experience. I suggest anyone wanting a true understanding of how this is accomplished with this hitch just watch a video or two on youtube. I would start with this one,
dryancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #128

How is everyone who has the hitch mounting safety chains? I know Anderson sells chains that mount to the adapter bolts, but how do you attach them to the TV? I certainly don't want to drill big holes in my bed.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #129

The installer that installed my gooseneck hitch drilled and installed the ubolts in the bed that they attach to as part of that install. The ubolts, or whatever they are drop mostly flat into the bed when not in use, so I personally don't find it that big of a deal.
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #130

With the rail mounts, you can get eyelet pins that fit into the extra rail holes. If you have a factory fifthwheel/gooseneck prep, you can get chain retainers that fit into the pucks.

http://www.easternmarine.com/curt-16000

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...rt/C16000.html

Robot Check
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootersotg View Post
The installer that installed my gooseneck hitch drilled and installed the ubolts in the bed that they attach to as part of that install. The ubolts, or whatever they are drop mostly flat into the bed when not in use, so I personally don't find it that big of a deal.
X2. What he said. Also, when I have the hitch installed I leave one end of the chain always attached to the ubolt in the bed with the hook end free. When hooking up I just slap the 'hook end' of the chain on the adapter eye bolt. Takes about 2 seconds for each chain.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
With the rail mounts, you can get eyelet pins that fit into the extra rail holes. If you have a factory fifthwheel/gooseneck prep, you can get chain retainers that fit into the pucks.

CURT 5th Wheel Safety Chain Loop Kit #16000

Robot Check
Correct, if you get the Curts, Ram, or Reese gooseneck ball kit for the factory prep 5th wheel package you get the eyelet pins with it. But with a Anderson hitch the puck holes are covered by the hitch. I think the u-bolt method is the way to go.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #133

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsufreak View Post
I also own an Andersen ultimate aluminum hitch and I could not imagine going thru the hassle of loading or unloading a hitch any heavier than 32 lbs why would you want to? Why would you,at your age or mine ,want to pickup a 100+ lb hitch full of grease and hook it up or set it up in the back of the pickup then try and hook up to the fifth wheel by your self? You are gonna need a family member or friend outside to help you! Now with the Andersen it's simple it's a one man job.just back up and lower the fiver down on the ball and your done!! Get out and twist the lock hookup the E brakes and fiver lights. Forgot to mention it's only $650.00 ten minutes in and out,simple....did I mention no chucking or bucking?
Used my Anderson hitch over a year now. Towed in excess of 5,000 miles. Light wt. Use my 2013 F-250 for towing around the farm. Easy to remove & put in. Only dis advantage is hooking up the 5th wheel. You have to be dead on. Getting better every time.
Ford 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #134

Well I didn't have the patience to read all the way through every page but I should have my Anderson hitch this Thursday. I'm pretty fair on reviews so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm really looking forward to the 35lb. advantage. Is there a diy safety chain setup anyone has come up with? And is there always so many negative Nancy's on here when someone likes a certain product?

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
Well I didn't have the patience to read all the way through every page but I should have my Anderson hitch this Thursday. I'm pretty fair on reviews so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm really looking forward to the 35lb. advantage. Is there a diy safety chain setup anyone has come up with? And is there always so many negative Nancy's on here when someone likes a certain product?
I have heard of folks running eye bolts through the spare holes on the pin box for the chains.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #136

Looking forward to your review east texan... it's interesting, all the negative comments and "reviews" come from folks who don't own this hitch.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #137

I can now weigh in on the Andersen. I used it for the first time Saturday to pick up our new trailer and was very pleased.

I have the rail mount, and it was a little difficult to install at first. I think that was mostly due to it being a perfect fit and getting all four tabs in at the same time was difficult. I used a file to put a small radius on the tabs of the hitch and the slots of the rails. Now it goes in and out smooth.

The adapter box was a simple install, including routing the cable and securing it.

I experienced no "chucking", rattling, banging, etc on the 90 mile drive home. The hitch provided plenty of range for backing into my relatively steep upper driveway off of a normal width two lane road.

Hooking up / unhooking was a simple as you would expect. Back it under the cup and lower the landing gear. Push the cable handle and twist. Connect electrical plug. After I was home, I pulled the cable, raised the trailer, disconnected plug and drove out. I don't have the safety chains, but will add them before we take it camping.

I have the standard Lipert pin box (no shocks or springs) and after towing it have no desire to change it.

This was pulling a 1360 lb fifth wheel with my 2500hd.

Weights before and after...
Front - 3920 (I don't think they waited for me to get back in the truck here)
Rear - 2900

Front - 4180
Rear - 5420
Trailer - 10860

I'm happy with the Andersen.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
I have heard of folks running eye bolts through the spare holes on the pin box for the chains.
If I can find the right grade eye bolts locally I'll use them like the kit they sell. They know you are required to have them but it's anothe 60$ to order from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Looking forward to your review east texan... it's interesting, all the negative comments and "reviews" come from folks who don't own this hitch.
I hear ya. It should be here Thursday and hopefully I should be moving Friday for a test.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I can now weigh in on the Andersen. I used it for the first time Saturday to pick up our new trailer and was very pleased.

I have the rail mount, and it was a little difficult to install at first. I think that was mostly due to it being a perfect fit and getting all four tabs in at the same time was difficult. I used a file to put a small radius on the tabs of the hitch and the slots of the rails. Now it goes in and out smooth.

The adapter box was a simple install, including routing the cable and securing it.

I experienced no "chucking", rattling, banging, etc on the 90 mile drive home. The hitch provided plenty of range for backing into my relatively steep upper driveway off of a normal width two lane road.

Hooking up / unhooking was a simple as you would expect. Back it under the cup and lower the landing gear. Push the cable handle and twist. Connect electrical plug. After I was home, I pulled the cable, raised the trailer, disconnected plug and drove out. I don't have the safety chains, but will add them before we take it camping.

I have the standard Lipert pin box (no shocks or springs) and after towing it have no desire to change it.

This was pulling a 1360 lb fifth wheel with my 2500hd.

Weights before and after...
Front - 3920 (I don't think they waited for me to get back in the truck here)
Rear - 2900

Front - 4180
Rear - 5420
Trailer - 10860

I'm happy with the Andersen.

Good to hear. My current Rig has the standard box, but the new one I will pickup Friday(hopefully) has the mor ryde box. I hope it doesn't allow slack for chucking?

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
Old 02-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
Good to hear. My current Rig has the standard box, but the new one I will pickup Friday(hopefully) has the mor ryde box. I hope it doesn't allow slack for chucking?
I wouldn't be concerned as some of the Andersen demo videos are with a MorRyde pin box. I have one and my Andersen rail mount arrived yesterday. It will be a couple of months before I can try it though. Even with my current Reese hitch, the rear of the MorRyde comes very close to the sides of the bed in a hard turn, so we may want to mount the pin adapter with the ball hole to the rear to provide more clearance from the bed. I will have to experiment with it.
Although safety chains are not required in most states, Andersen has a kit, but does not address the attachment to the truck. Here are clips for rail mounts:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP50223.html

And here are some cables to replace those noisy chains:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...x/BX88208.html

If anyone finds some good eyelet bolts to use so we don't have to buy the kit, please post a link.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote