Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #225

To 1010 regarding the Andersen. Some considerations:
  1. Size of a "Short bed" varies GMC with double cab is 6'6", with Crew Cab it's 5'5". I believe a short bed in a Ram or Ford is 5'6". That extra foot makes a difference.
  2. Change Pivot Point You can use a Curt 4" Gooseball extender and gain 4" of cab clearance and combine that with a flip of the Andersen kingpin adapter and change the pivot point of your king box, which reduces 8" of cab clearance. The net is you actually move your 5er four inches closer to the cab but your trucks bed rail clearance improves (this works for a std length king box only)
  3. Overall 5er Weight The Andersen can handle both the Pin weight you are considering and the GVW. However, I'm not so sure you want to pull that heavy of a trailer with a short bed truck. I believe your weight issues will end up being more about the Payload capability of the truck. My std bed 3/4 ton GMC had a published Payload that would handle what you describe BUT turns out the add on equip reduced it down to 1950# and that pushed me to an ultralight.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
  1. Size of a "Short bed" varies GMC with double cab is 6'6", with Crew Cab it's 5'5". I believe a short bed in a Ram or Ford is 5'6". That extra foot makes a difference.
  2. Change Pivot Point You can use a Curt 4" Gooseball extender and gain 4" of cab clearance and combine that with a flip of the Andersen kingpin adapter and change the pivot point of your king box, which reduces 8" of cab clearance. The net is you actually move your 5er four inches closer to the cab but your trucks bed rail clearance improves (this works for a std length king box only)
  3. Overall 5er Weight The Andersen can handle both the Pin weight you are considering and the GVW. However, I'm not so sure you want to pull that heavy of a trailer with a short bed truck. I believe your weight issues will end up being more about the Payload capability of the truck. My std bed 3/4 ton GMC had a published Payload that would handle what you describe BUT turns out the add on equip reduced it down to 1950# and that pushed me to an ultralight.
I have a question for you regarding your suggestion about changing the pivot point using the offset adapter; I can see the reasoning for this setup but unsure how, or even if this changes the amount of weight on the front axle? I am curious if there are any scale numbers available showing what effect this configuration might have on the placement of pin weight on each axle vs. a tradional Anderson short bed configuration?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
On the RAM 1/2 ton the bed is 5'7" with the crew cab, 6'4" with the Quad Cab. On the 2500's the short bed for both Crew and Mega are 6'4". No short bed for the Crew DRW. Only short bed for the Mega DRW.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post
My question is this. So I have a Ram 3500 with the factory prep package. I am looking at getting an Andersen Ultimate rail mount. If I use the pucks for a reese or other rail system like an RP30154, what or where would I attach safety chains to in the bed of the truck. Some people say you don't need chains and some say it is required in some states. I know Andersen sells the safety chaing, just trying to figure the bed part out. Thanks for any help or info.
I mount mine using the RAM goose neck ball in the hitch prep. No rails needed, works great. What I don't know is whether the safety chain pucks will fit with the Andersen mounted. Anybody know? Also, does anyone know which states require safety chains with the Andersen?
NW Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #229

The Andersen frame does clear the pucks for the safety chains. Whether chains are required or not does depend on local regulation, I use them they are required for commercial where personal use is in a grey area. They are very easy to hook up, no need to crawl into the truck bed or to bend over.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #230

Andersen has stated that Indiana for sure requires safety chains. I have read from others that California and Texas do as well but that has not been verified. As I recall the person claiming Texas did got his information from a police officer and not DOT. I have not read on any of the Rv sites I frequent of any other state that requires chains when using the Andersen.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #231

It is so easy and quick to slap the safety chain hooks on the adapter eyelets to just do it automatically. It takes about 3 seconds per chain.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
It is so easy and quick to slap the safety chain hooks on the adapter eyelets to just do it automatically. It takes about 3 seconds per chain.
Agreed. I put them on for every trip and never stress about whether they are needed for the particular state I am in.
cootersotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
I mount mine using the RAM goose neck ball in the hitch prep. No rails needed, works great. What I don't know is whether the safety chain pucks will fit with the Andersen mounted. Anybody know? Also, does anyone know which states require safety chains with the Andersen?
I am not sure on this, but someone posted the CURT prep kit does not allow safety chains as the brackets are curved and hit the frame. He went to the Reese kit. I think RAM uses the CURT, but not sure.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #234

Is anyone using the Andersen Ultimate Rail mount with a Reese Revolution/Sidewinder? I asked Reese and they say it will work but the wedge has to be locked back in and the 2 bolts that were removed from the pin box have to be put back in so the unit won't piviot. Just wondering if anyone can share any experiences.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
Is anyone using the Andersen Ultimate Rail mount with a Reese Revolution/Sidewinder? I asked Reese and they say it will work but the wedge has to be locked back in and the 2 bolts that were removed from the pin box have to be put back in so the unit won't piviot. Just wondering if anyone can share any experiences.
I used the Sidewinder for 3 1/2 seasons. I had to lock it (5 1/2" grade 8 bolts) when I got my F350 as it was the only way I could raise it high enough to level the trailer. When I no longer had/needed the Sidewinder function, I became unhappy with the chucking so I replaced it with a MorRyde.
If you already have a 5th wheel hitch, I don't know why you want to replace it and lose the Sidewinder function. Otherwise, the Andersen is a great hitch and I just installed mine (rail mount).
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #236

I like the Sidewinder function but the 200 lbs less weight of the hitch makes it possible for me to take it out of the bed by myself. Reese says if I put the lock out bolts back in and remove the wedge it will make the Revolution/Sidewinder a regular pinbox which then will work with an Andersen Ultimate hitch. Andersen says an F250 6 1/2 bed should be fine on tight turns. Therefore I should no longer need the pivoting pinbox. The other benefit is much less noise and no chucking. I would mate it to the Reese rails that are already installed.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #237

When you lockout the sidewinder and remove the wedge it will act just like a regular pinbox so I see no issues with using it with the Anderson. I use a sidewinder with my ram 3500 but I need it for clearance. If not, I would put my mor ryde pinbox back on for some cushion
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #238

Gtsum2 I have an air ride cushion on my 5r pulled great with no air in the cushion (I had to let it out to get hitched) hauled it 700 miles then put air in cushion made it feel like I jumped on a water bed at stopping. I let the air back out, called Anderson they recommended 4 or 5 lbs in my air ride cushion, just enough to protect the integrity of the rubber cushion from rubbing against itself.
dryancy is offline   Reply With Quote