Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
Well I didn't have the patience to read all the way through every page but I should have my Anderson hitch this Thursday. I'm pretty fair on reviews so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm really looking forward to the 35lb. advantage. Is there a diy safety chain setup anyone has come up with? And is there always so many negative Nancy's on here when someone likes a certain product?
Yes, Andersen makes a safety chain kit specifically for the Ultimate hitch. I got it from Amazon for $65 and installed it this past weekend. Pretty simple to install. Haven't had the chance to use them yet.
EagleFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexan View Post
And is there always so many negative Nancy's on here when someone likes a certain product?
Every forum has folks that dismiss anything new or different. Often it is the same folks over and over. Most haven't tried the products they put down.
Oh, and tire failures are our fault for not maintaining proper pressure, driving too fast and hitting curbs. There is nothing wrong with Chinese tires.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #143

I compared the Anderson and B&W companion side by side. Even though the Anderson was $300 cheaper I went with the B@W. This is why.

1. With a real 5th wheel you don't have to lined up exactly right. Off an inch is fine it will slide over.

2. I don't have fancy electric jacks. With the Anderson you have to jack it up back under and jack it back down on the ball. With the B&W I put the jacks down take some pressure off and pull away. Hooking up I get it close to the right height back under and it pushes the truck down. Put the pin in done.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:04 AM   #144

B&W was a strong candidate for me to replace my Reese rail mount and picture frame adapter, but I've reached an age where I don't like moving heavy stuff, so I went with the Andersen for both price and weight.
The B&W has a lot going for it with the ability to move the head fore and aft, and different bases to accommodate pucks, rails and goose mounts, plus just being well built.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I compared the Anderson and B&W companion side by side. Even though the Anderson was $300 cheaper I went with the B@W. This is why.

1. With a real 5th wheel you don't have to lined up exactly right. Off an inch is fine it will slide over.

2. I don't have fancy electric jacks. With the Anderson you have to jack it up back under and jack it back down on the ball. With the B&W I put the jacks down take some pressure off and pull away. Hooking up I get it close to the right height back under and it pushes the truck down. Put the pin in done.
I agree with point 1. but 2 I don't follow? Both have to be jacked up to proper elevation, backed under, and jacked down. Only difference is you latch 5th wheel first then lower onto hitch, and you lower Anderson first then latch.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #146

I just jack it down so there is pressure on the ground and pull out. The back of the truck comes up about 2 inches and we are good. The camper is even level at that point. When I back in same way. The 5th wheel is tilted down to the back it pushes the truck down and the pin slides right in.

I have done a lot of truck driving. This is how I was taught to hook up trailers. A pickup 5th wheel is no different than a semi. Just smaller. If you have the trailer jacked up too far there is a chance if you are not lined up exactly right (off an inch either way) the pin will go over the 5th wheel. I have had this happen on a semi. The pin hit the 5th wheel and instead of going into the jaws it rode up over the 5th wheel and ended up in front of it. That is a mistake you only make once. If you leave it down so it has to push up over the 5th wheel the pin will be forced into the lock.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #147

Andersen Safety Chain?

My question is this. So I have a Ram 3500 with the factory prep package. I am looking at getting an Andersen Ultimate rail mount. If I use the pucks for a reese or other rail system like an RP30154, what or where would I attach safety chains to in the bed of the truck. Some people say you don't need chains and some say it is required in some states. I know Andersen sells the safety chaing, just trying to figure the bed part out. Thanks for any help or info.
Smitty4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post

You made a wise choice my Son! One BIG reason I would not own an andersen is there is no way to lock the RV to the hitch.

See below I am a Lock person.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #149

Andersen fifth wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post
My question is this. So I have a Ram 3500 with the factory prep package. I am looking at getting an Andersen Ultimate rail mount. If I use the pucks for a reese or other rail system like an RP30154, what or where would I attach safety chains to in the bed of the truck. Some people say you don't need chains and some say it is required in some states. I know Andersen sells the safety chaing, just trying to figure the bed part out. Thanks for any help or info.

If you go with the Rail Mount Andersen then you could use something similar to the link below as Andersen doesn't cover all of the rail positions.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP50223.html

You could also simply connect the chains to the Andersen pyramid structure.

I'm not familiar with the Dodge setup (or any of the newer trucks for that matter) as I drive a 2002 Chevy with in the bed rails.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post
If you go with the rail system you'd need to attach the chains to the rails. You could weld a couple attachment points on them or bolt them to the rails. That should be plenty secure. Or you can just go with the center ball mount and save the weight of the picture frame. If you do go that way the center ball kit by Reese has the puck mounted chain anchors. Apparently the Curt kit does not work with the hitch as the chain mounts are angled. I think the RAM kit is made by Curt as well.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
You made a wise choice my Son! One BIG reason I would not own an andersen is there is no way to lock the RV to the hitch.

See below I am a Lock person.

Mine is differant. I take the goose neck ball out and slide this in place. Then there are 2 U bolts and 1 bolt on top that tighten it down. I have a bed cover that stays closed when Im not hooked up. Nobody knows its there.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #152

I had the 18K companion in my 11 HO RAM Dually. Sold it for $500 on CL first call. Locked the handle and head on that one also.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #153

Anderson Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I have the Andersen and there is zero chucking! The only tolerances are between the Andersen Ball and the adapter on the king pin. No accumulated tolerances for chucking. It is also very easy to hookup and unhook. Only those who haven't use one have a problem with the Andersen.
can you use a anderson hitch with a short bed truck i have 2014 KR 6foot bed.
Jonnypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #154

The answer is totally dependent upon your 5th wheel and your pin box. Your 5ver will decide if a fixed hitch will work verses a slider. You will need to do some careful measurements.