Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Andersen Ultimate 5th

I've been researching the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. The 5er we just purchased comes with a MorRyde Orbital pin box (without the rubber plate). The salesman recommends the AUH over a standard 5er with the orbiting hitch. Has anyone gone this route, chosen AUH over a standard 5er with an orbiting hitch?

I'm pulling with a 2019 GMC Sierra CC 4x4 6.6 dmax with a 6.5' bed. I can't seem to find anyone using a GMC or Silverado, everyone seems to have Ford and Ram.
hwkscr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

If your 5er is new, keep in mind that the Anderson Ultimate Hitch will void the frame warranty of your coach if it's a Lippert frame.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Orbital pin box...........rotates at pin box mount
Andersen Ultimate Hitch....gooseneck ball hitch

So you are going to buy a rotating pin box then lock it out so you can use a gooseneck ball hitch ?????
Can't have 2 points of pivoting

I'm not seeing the benefit.

Ask the dealer about the 2 pivot points.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Orbital pin box...........rotates at pin box mount

Andersen Ultimate Hitch....gooseneck ball hitch

So you are going to buy a rotating pin box then lock it out so you can use a gooseneck ball hitch ?????
Can't have 2 point of pivoting

I'm not seeing the benefit.

Ask the dealer about the 2 pivot points.
The orbiting hitch comes on the coach standard. It's o e or the other. I'm trying to decide which is the best option for a hitch.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsuzuCamper View Post
If your 5er is new, keep in mind that the Anderson Ultimate Hitch will void the frame warranty of your coach if it's a Lippert frame.
Thanks for the heads up. How does the AUH void the frame warranty?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:

Do you have a LINK to that statement?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #7

Here is what is on the lippert site, you can also call lippert ans ask them, the FR should be able to give you the contact information for the frame you have.

From the lippert site
A few RV/Trailer Frame manufacturers have said (or implied) that they will void the warranty on their 5th Wheel (or frame) if an adapter is used for hooking up.

Officially, that is illegal. According to the FTC’s Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act they can only void the warranty if the adapter actually CAUSES damage, not simply if it is USED. Additionally they have to PROVE the damage was caused by the adapter.

Our solution:

For the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection… If they won't cover it, WE WILL, up to $5 Million Dollars –and we'll put that in writing! See our supplemental warranty.

Link to supplemental warranty
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...-+Ultimate.pdf
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
I called Andersen and they have never heard of or been contacted by any frame manufacturer regarding a void due to the useage of their hitch. If they did, they carry a $5m insurance policy on their hitches.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I have the AUH and a Lippert frame and your statement is truley false!
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

Call Andersen on the MorRyde Orbital!!! The Flex-Aire requires a lock out kit and I suspect the Orbital does as well. The MorRyde rubberize pin box is fine.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #11

We’ve been using the AUH for over a year and it is great!
Curbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwkscr View Post
I've been researching the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. The 5er we just purchased comes with a MorRyde Orbital pin box (without the rubber plate). The salesman recommends the AUH over a standard 5er with the orbiting hitch. Has anyone gone this route, chosen AUH over a standard 5er with an orbiting hitch?

I'm pulling with a 2019 GMC Sierra CC 4x4 6.6 dmax with a 6.5' bed. I can't seem to find anyone using a GMC or Silverado, everyone seems to have Ford and Ram.
Last year when we purchased our 5th wheel, I had the dealer replace the pin box with a Goosebox. The cost was on par with buying a 5th wheel hitch. All I have in the bed is the ball that drops into the factory 5thwheel/gooseneck.
This setup is approved by Lippert so no warranty concern.
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #13

From the Andersen site:
There are many confused statements in the industry. Our Ultimate Connection will not void any frame or pin box warranty as we are pushing and pulling the RV from where it was designed to be pulled from.

One of the main reasons we came out with the Ultimate Connection was to be able to offer a hitch for gooseneck owners that want to tow an RV with the most comfort, quietness, lightweight hitch available.

Officially they can only void the warranty if the adapter actually CAUSES damage, not simply if it is used (see Federal Trade Commission'sv'Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act', 15 U.S.C. ch. 50, 2301-2312).

As an aftermarket manufacturer, we and most of the towing industry do not feel we need to ask for Lippert to test our products to be approved by their system. We build products that are tested by the industry leader in third-party testing to exceed the SAE standards as that is the law.

We do offer the safety chain kit as a few states have mentioned in their towing laws that any trailer connected via a ball must use safety chains. Indiana is a state with that exact wording and we have heard but have not found the language to be the same in Illinois.

We have not had any failures of our Ultimate Connection.

There are a whole lot of "expert" opinions on this forum, but few of them actually know what they are talking about. I've had an Andersen Ultimate as my only fiver hitch, no problems at all. I chose it as I like the lighter weight for removal and, as a single woman I can hook up by myself without any help. There is no risk of high hitching like with a traditional fifth wheel hitch.

One drawback is that to clear the ball, you have to raise the nose of the fiver higher when hitching/unhitching than a normal hitch. This can be difficult if you're on a sloping site or if you don't have enough of the legs down to offset the height. I actually use Andersen jack blocks which are quite tall by themselves and have no issue, but once had a guy at the dealership park it without the jack blocks and without the legs at all extended; I couldn't raise it up high enough to hitch, so they had to bring out the forklift to get it up to put the block under, then I was fine.

It's a solid connection in terms of towing. I do have safety chains, as I live in Indiana. No big deal at all. I love the hitch and wouldn't trade it for any other at this point.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #14

So I called MorRyde bc the pin box on the trailer with the part number did not come up on their website. Turns out Arctic Wolf special order the MorRyde piviting pinbox without the rubber dampening [emoji2373]. The rep also said they sell the gooseball adapter plate, but if I use the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection, then the warranty is void on the pinbox.

So it looks like I'll be going with either the Reese M5 or the B&W companion. Anyone using these?Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1_01.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	232154Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1_02.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	232155Click image for larger version

Name:	123_1_03.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	232156Click image for larger version