Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #1

Anderson Hitch

Previous fiver I had the Hensley TSII. Nice hitch, but heavy, and a PITA to get in and out.

The Anderson hitch looks promising. Easy in, easy out and no need to remove the pin box that comes with whatever I buy.

But, there is zero "give" in it. No longitudinal flexing whatsoever. In fact if you have a flexing pin box you need to put a bracket on there to lock it in place.

So, how is the ride of the Anderson compared to the flexy hitches of various ilk?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #2

I have the Anderson Ultimate hitch system used in conjuction with my gooseneck ball. I think it rides better with no chucking or jerking like with the fifth wheel hitch I had years ago. I like it because I can take it out or put it in by myself, only weighs 40 lbs or so.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #3

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Been using the Anderson Ultimate Hitch (AUH) for 12000 miles with no issues. I did experience some chucking at first but after installing a modified rubber stall mat between the hitch and the box floor from Tractor Supply, the rubber mat mitigated the chucking I felt. Also, made few other suspension mods at the same time see my signature.
A key to using an AUH is torquing the bolts to specification and checking the torque after traveling awhile. AUH does produce a mat for this purpose, I chose the stall mat because it is a little thicker.

You may still feel some some of the trailer in the truck but after many years of transporting 8-9000 gallons of liquids, I like to be able to feel some of what my trailer is doing back there.

Name:   54500F55-554D-4E9C-986B-6BE4074147CC.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  39.8 KB
Retired Tanker Yanker 2017 F-250 6.7 2019 Reflection 150 273 MK, Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few! Safe Journey.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #4

I have an Anderson. I have never used a conventional fifth wheel, so cannot compare them.

My Andersen seems very stable and comfortable. Towing is a lot like towing my previous bumper pull rigs, in that it does not seem to be an issue.

My Anderson rotated about the gooseball at first. I put a 1/4” thick rubber stall pad under it, and that took care of that issue.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #5

My Andersen tows very well. No need for flex with the ball mount. The trailer and truck can tilt independently.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #6

The Andersen has many good attributes such as weight and visibility when hooking up. No way will any solid hitch give you the comfortable tow a Trailer Saver TS3 will deliver. Only you can weigh each's advantages and conclude what is most important to you.

I towed my fiver home today from a campout hooked up with my TS3. Trailer was floating up and down behind the truck, unnoticeable. With a solid hitch the trailer would be bouncing the truck and occupants. Been there, done that. Would never go back.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #7

I have a HENSLY BD 3 trailer saver . It may be heavy but it works flawlessly . 11 yrs and counting . I am sure the Anderson works well .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:59 AM   #8

I know the Andersen requires a bracket to cage the Rotoflex pin box if installed. Are there ANY flexing pin box that work with the Andersen?

NOTE: Just realized it's AndersEn not AndersOn...... Oh well.

Tags
hitch