Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #29

The Andersen hitch may help with your turning radius, and it might hurt. With my short bed Ram 3500 with factory pucks, the turn Radius with my Andersen was a few degrees less than what I can turn with my current B&W

The ball on the Andersen Hitch itself is approximately 4 inches aft of the ball mount in the bed of the truck. This gives you slightly more turning radius than you would get with the hitch pivot point being in the normal mounting position which is right over or slightly in front of the rear axle. Keep in mind that many traditional hitches such as the B&W allow you to adjust the hitch fore and aft so the Andersen doesn't necessarily provide an advantage in this area.

The second thing to consider is that the Andersen pin adapter mover the ball to either 4 inches in front of, or 4 inches aft of the pinbox pin. With my trailer with the long pin box, I had to put the adapter on so as to effectively shorten the pinbox or it would hit both the tailgate and the bed rails in a tight turn. In a tight turn this actually caused the trailer corner to be closer to the middle of the truck cab in a tight turn and reduced my turning radius to where the Andersen provided maybe 5 degrees less turning radius than what I get with the B&W with the hitch adjusted full aft. Keep in mind many don't like carrying the weight aft of the axle. I haven't found it makes much difference, but you do see the front axle loosing a couple hundred pounds when hitched.

I'm not a fan of the Andersen because the way the weight of the pin is carried on the two set screws between the ball socket and trailer pin. It cause the baseplate of my Lippert 1621HD pinbox to buckle. (Pin weight approx 3800lbs, trailer right at 15k loaded) When this happened the normally communicative Anderson suddenly quit communicating, refused to do anything about it other than say that happens with some pin boxes. They did send a spacer to distribute the load better but by then the damage was done. I ended up having to suck up the cost of replacing the pin box, and buy a new hitch. My andersen is just sitting in the Garage collecting dust as I wouldn't feel right even giving it away, let alone selling it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #30

Searching, not understanding you equating the angle off of the trailer to turn radius. Turn radius would be measured in a linear measurement, and is dependent on factors other than the angle off. And, I have never been in a situation where the difference between 85 and 90 degrees angle would be a factor. I would never let myself get in that situation because of the tremendous side forces on wheels, tires, and hubs.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
The Andersen hitch may help with your turning radius, and it might hurt. With my short bed Ram 3500 with factory pucks, the turn Radius with my Andersen was a few degrees less than what I can turn with my current B&W

The ball on the Andersen Hitch itself is approximately 4 inches aft of the ball mount in the bed of the truck. This gives you slightly more turning radius than you would get with the hitch pivot point being in the normal mounting position which is right over or slightly in front of the rear axle. Keep in mind that many traditional hitches such as the B&W allow you to adjust the hitch fore and aft so the Andersen doesn't necessarily provide an advantage in this area.

The second thing to consider is that the Andersen pin adapter mover the ball to either 4 inches in front of, or 4 inches aft of the pinbox pin. With my trailer with the long pin box, I had to put the adapter on so as to effectively shorten the pinbox or it would hit both the tailgate and the bed rails in a tight turn. In a tight turn this actually caused the trailer corner to be closer to the middle of the truck cab in a tight turn and reduced my turning radius to where the Andersen provided maybe 5 degrees less turning radius than what I get with the B&W with the hitch adjusted full aft. Keep in mind many don't like carrying the weight aft of the axle. I haven't found it makes much difference, but you do see the front axle loosing a couple hundred pounds when hitched.

I'm not a fan of the Andersen because the way the weight of the pin is carried on the two set screws between the ball socket and trailer pin. It cause the baseplate of my Lippert 1621HD pinbox to buckle. (Pin weight approx 3800lbs, trailer right at 15k loaded) When this happened the normally communicative Anderson suddenly quit communicating, refused to do anything about it other than say that happens with some pin boxes. They did send a spacer to distribute the load better but by then the damage was done. I ended up having to suck up the cost of replacing the pin box, and buy a new hitch. My andersen is just sitting in the Garage collecting dust as I wouldn't feel right even giving it away, let alone selling it.

Nice write up and interesting observations!

Andersen is not the "end-all" hitch. For some applications it works well but I chose to move away from it for a couple reasons: It does not carry both CSA & J2638 test standard credentials and I could utilize a hitch and pin box combo all-in-one thereby eliminating a bulky hitch remaining in my bed when uncoupled. My trailer is similar in weight to yours and I removed the same Lippert Pin box you are using by going to the 20k GooseBox. Unless your GN hitch can accommodate an offset ball adapter the GooseBox limits users to the standard pivot/weight carrying position... (perhaps not ideal for short bed trucks).

I was unaware that damage (bending/buckeling) was happening to some pin boxes. Glad I am no longer using Andersen...
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #32

I have seen the Anderson set up. No way am I using a 40lb hitch to tow my trailer. My B&W 20k hitch, even tho it weighs 200lbs is the best hitch I have ever owned.

Maybe for a light trailer, and the owner needs to remove the hitch on a regular basis, it might work. Me, never.......
Old 04-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
I have seen the Anderson set up. No way am I using a 40lb hitch to tow my trailer. My B&W 20k hitch, even tho it weighs 200lbs is the best hitch I have ever owned.

Maybe for a light trailer, and the owner needs to remove the hitch on a regular basis, it might work. Me, never.......

I agree.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #34

Quote:

Or just say " I refuse to own other hitches, so the one I own will be best ever based solely on my own thoughts, opinions and zero proof on a 40 pound hitch working."

Love the "might work", do you have any idea how many of these are out there WORKING JUST FINE?. No might work to it.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I agree.
Did the owner of anderson sleep with your wife or something? You seem to have this personal vendetta against these hitches.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
I'm not a fan of the Andersen because the way the weight of the pin is carried on the two set screws between the ball socket and trailer pin.

That is my thought as well. I'll stick with my Superglide
Old 04-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobert View Post
Did the owner of anderson sleep with your wife or something? You seem to have this personal vendetta against these hitches.

Keeping it classy I see.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Or just say " I refuse to own other hitches, so the one I own will be best ever based solely on my own thoughts, opinions and zero proof on a 40 pound hitch working."

Love the "might work", do you have any idea how many of these are out there WORKING JUST FINE?. No might work to it.
I think Scoobert either missed his nappy or someone ate his ice cream.

Now lets see, take a 8 ton trailer, hook it up to something that weighs 40 lbs, YEA, THAT "MIGHT" WORK?............
Old 04-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #39

Quote:
I think Scoobert either missed his nappy or someone ate his ice cream.

Now lets see, take a 8 ton trailer, hook it up to something that weighs 40 lbs, YEA, THAT "MIGHT" WORK?............
Why do you feel weight makes any difference? Feel free to show us all the real world experience you have with the hitch not holding the weight. Oh, thats right you have NONE.
Well then since you must be a design engineer please show us the proof it wont work. But damn all the thousand of units out there pulling trailers must be wrong and there must be thousands of them that didnt work so you should have no problem supplying that info, right?

Please mister design engineer please tell us the exact weight a hitch needs to be before you have determined it will work. Surely you wouldnt just pull a number out of your butt right? After all you are an expert in the field and all the thousands of these hitches out there working perfect must be wrong.

Of course you dont fly because no way would aluminum hold up the weight of a plane. Heavy steel planes only for you, those cheesy aluminum ones only "might work"
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #40

weight

Quote:
Why do you feel weight makes any difference? Feel free to show us all the real world experience you have with the hitch not holding the weight. Oh, thats right you have NONE.
Well then since you must be a design engineer please show us the proof it wont work. But damn all the thousand of units out there pulling trailers must be wrong and there must be thousands of them that didnt work so you should have no problem supplying that info, right?

Please mister design engineer please tell us the exact weight a hitch needs to be before you have determined it will work. Surely you wouldnt just pull a number out of your butt right? After all you are an expert in the field and all the thousands of these hitches out there working perfect must be wrong.

Of course you dont fly because no way would aluminum hold up the weight of a plane. Heavy steel planes only for you, those cheesy aluminum ones only "might work"
and I guess you shouldn't buy a new ford super duty because it has an aluminum bed and body it cant take the weight either lol.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr0208 View Post
and I guess you shouldn't buy a new ford super duty because it has an aluminum bed and body it cant take the weight either lol.
OMG STOP, could you imagine the world changing effects it would have if you put an aluminum hitch in the bed of a new Ford Superduty? We are talking changes at a molecular level. As soon as you set the trailer on the hitch the whole vehicle would just instantly explode starting off a anti-matter chain reaction that could end the world as we know it.

What ever you do stay under ground. With all the aluminum 737 and 747's flying overhead that simply cant hold that weight you are sure to be hit by one of them falling from the sky. Only come out when the safe steel airplanes fly over.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #42

yes he needs his happy pills for sure.

but lets be honest do you Andersen haters really think that Andersen would put out a product for all of us to buy and have it fail regardless of the weight factor??? the people that do buy the AUH don't want that extra 250lbs in there truck nor do they want to try to move it in or out of there truck.

i have read a lot of post since i joined this forum site and would say its the AUH winning right now. i finally got to see it in person hooked up to a guys truck the other day when i was getting gas, and this guy was very impressed on how the AUH works preforms and the ride quality. the guy had said he has had all the other brands of hitches, and he said quote I WILL NEVER GO BACK, AUH for life he stated. and he has been towing for about 20yrs now.

2016 ford f350 6.7
fifth wheel : still looking
Closed Thread

Tags
fifth wheel