Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #1

The book says that water weighs 8.3 lbs per gallon and that the fresh water tank is 61gals. It also states that the hot water tank is 10 gals. If I fill my fresh water tank before heading out does that mean I actually have 71 gals of water? Doesn't it auto fill the hot water tank first? I don't plan to be so close it would make a difference I just like knowing these things. I thought the manual for my BETA tape system was difficult!!!

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #2

The book says that water weighs 8.3 lbs per gallon and that the fresh water tank is 61gals. It also states that the hot water tank is 10 gals. If I fill my fresh water tank before heading out does that mean I actually have 71 gals of water? Doesn't it auto fill the hot water tank first? I don't plan to be so close it would make a difference I just like knowing these things. I thought the manual for my BETA tape system was difficult!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Assuming you start off with both the fresh water tank and hot water heater tank completely dry, you would put 61 gallons of water in the fresh water tank. Nothing would flow to the hot water heater tank until (1.) you turned on the water pump and (2.) opened a hot water faucet to allow the air to escape. Even then, there will be an air space in the top of the hot water heater tank to allow for expansion.

So, you would then have (let's say) 50 gallons in the fresh water tank, 9 gallons in the hot water heater tank and 2 gallons in the water lines and gray water tank (from bleeding the air out of the hot water heater tank). You could then refill your fresh water tank with 11 more gallons.

Interesting mental exercise....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #4

Sometimes the specs on the water capacity includes the water heater. (makes it sound like more than it is)
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #5

Thanks, great detail and balanced answer so now I either do or don't have 71 gals. Philosophy is great. How about this. I have two 30gal propane tanks according to the manual they hold 7 gals each at 4.3 lbs a gal. Why does a 30gal tank hold 7gals?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Well, on the fresh water tank issue, you could tell if you didn't get 61 gallons in the tank on the initial fill. If you only managed to get 51 gallons or so in, then you know that the other 10 are based on the hot water heater tank.

At 7 gallons x 4.3 lbs/gallon, you'd have 30.1 lbs of propane - about right for a 30 pound cylinder.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:48 PM   #7

Hot water tank is always filled from the fresh water system. It will not fill until you do one of two things, 1) put a hose connection on the city water inlet and turn it on, or 2) fill the tank and turn on the water pump. At which time it will pump water out of the tank and fill the W/H, and drain 8 or 10 gal from the fresh water tank.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #8

When calculating the total weight of propane you are hauling remember, the tanks will only accept 80% of total volume. So, multiply a 30 pound tank X 80% = 24 pounds actual capacity of a "30" pound tank. 24 divided 4.24 = 5.6 gallons of propane.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote