Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
My new 5er arrives in a few weeks, but I won't be getting a new truck until later in 2018.

I currently have a Hidden Hitch gooseball hitch in my truck. I am comfortable hitching up a gooseball.

My current truck is on the edge of weight rating, so trying to avoid adding a couple hundred pounds to the pin weight with a fifth wheel hitch, and I'm not interested in installing rails on a truck I'm selling in several months anyway.

Was leaning towards the Andersen Ultimate, but there are reports of cracking at the bedroom slide with the 5er model I am getting, and I don't want to complicate matters with a Lippert unapproved gooseball type hitch like the Andersen, should I suffer that failure, too. The Reese Goose Box is the only Lippert approved gooseball hitch.

Amazon has the 20k model on sale today, almost $100 off.

Any reason not to pull the trigger?

Todd
My question is why would you consider either the Goosebox or the Andersen, the TrailAir is hands down better hitch than either if those
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
My question is why would you consider either the Goosebox or the Andersen, the TrailAir is hands down better hitch than either if those

You not read the part he was near capacity and didn't want to add the 200#for the hitch?
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
What sort of clinical information are you basing this on?

Please give us the links to the studies you site.

Thank You
Old 08-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #88

I just returned from a 2500 mile round trip to Colorado. We stayed at Lake Granby while out there visiting children that live in the area.

The GooseBox performed flawlessly! The cushioned ride is great and it was easy to hook up (we had to move the rig 4 times while in the Campground last week). I’m not sure if Trailaire is better riding than GooseBox...it doesn’t matter to me. What does matter is the overall performance of GB.

The best part of it all was the EMPTY BED when unhitched. We had 3 inflatable kayaks on board that were easily transported to the shore without a bulky fifth wheel hitch cluttering up the bed. Our campsites were up on a hill making for quite a hike to the shore (especially starting out at 8300 feet elevation)! We had my wife’s parents along for this trip (84 and 81 years old) and there was no way they could lug their 2 person kayak around so it would have been up to me to get their boat to the water and back.... glad I had an empty bed!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE using the GooseBox!

Oh did I mention that I’m fond of Gb?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #89

I’m only up to slightly over 500 miles with the GooseBox so far, and have to say it is working well.

Hooking up is more difficult than a conventional pin box, very similar for me to connecting with the Andersen Ultimate as my BakFlip cover makes it so that I can’t see the ball on either hitch without using a camera or the yellow fuzz balls. While slightly harder to line up not difficult by any means. I will say the way the ball sits in the socket prevents the issues I would sometimes have when the truck and trailer were tilted in relation with one another.

My B&W, Andersen, and the GooseBox are all slop free and don’t induce any slop type chucking. The fifth Airborne/B&W worked the best on the bad road chucking/jerking you get on overpass transitions, or those dips you sometimes encounter with the skid marks on the upslope. Both the fifth airborne and GooseBox are pretty much identical when it comes to smoothing out bumps and jolts, the Airborne just seems a little better with reducing chucking. The Andersen of course is a solid hitch and doesn’t help with chucking or jolts, and if anything, by shifting the pin weight aft of the axle it slightly amplifies those in some situations.

As for turning radius and other issues using the GooseBox with a short bed truck (RAM) I haven’t had any issues so far driving forward, with tight turns into off angled driveways and a couple u-turns presenting no clearance issues. Even a couple switchbacks on the million dollar highway where the limited slip on the truck chattered a bit didn’t get me close to anything hitting. My fifth wheel has the rounded front end which of course is the main reason this works. Overall I can turn slightly tighter than I could with the Andersen configured with the ball behind the pin which I had to do to prevent pin box to bed rail contact. With the B&W adjusted full aft I could turn slightly tighter. All three are probably within a couple degrees of turning radius which is insignificant in my opinion. It would only really matter if I couldn’t do a wheel lock u-turn without hitting. Backing up, you just have watch what you’re doing when using a short bed truck as you will hit at some point.

Finally, as has already been mentioned, the empty truck bed is really nice when you’re not towing, and getting the necessary hardware in and out of the bed is far easier, quicker, and less physical work with the GooseBox than it is with the other two hitches.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
Wondering if someone could post a picture of what the “green line” is supposed to look like. We have the goose box and just air it to 35 lbs but we’ve never figured out what you’re supposed to see when it’s correct. There are tons of videos but not a single one shows the procedure for airing it up.
Here is the picture you requested, the photo is taken from below the bed rail, thus being parallel. Mine has been in the same place since November, each time I hitch its always right there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9928.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	215931  
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganT69 View Post
Here is the picture you requested, the photo is taken from below the bed rail, thus being parallel. Mine has been in the same place since November, each time I hitch its always right there.
Pictures help a lot! We discovered that our air label was completely under the overlapping metal and that’s why we had never been able to find it. We now have a label showing and the proper amount of air.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
You not read the part he was near capacity and didn't want to add the 200#for the hitch?
The weight is still on the truck whether a regular hitch or hose box
Old 08-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane wood View Post
The weight is still on the truck whether a regular hitch or hose box

It’s probably a whole lot lighter than just about any other air ride type setup. The goose box adds weight to the trailer compared to a regular pin box, but eliminates the need for a hitch in the truck. Overall weight most likely comes in lighter than even a regular pin box/Andersen aluminum hitch, but you’d have to get weights for your particular pin box to be sure.

On the plus side, with the goose box you get more bed space even when towing, and with the the factory puck system on my truck, getting a clean bed while unhooked literally just requires lifting the ball and chain mounts out of the sockets. No tools required other than maybe a paper towel to lift the ball since it’s greased using. The air bag/shock absorber additions for the pin make it a very desirable choice even if you were to end up heavier overall.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #94

Love mine. Need someone to spot for you while hitching up only downside. I have these magnet rods from auto parts store used to retrived dropped parts. Put one on the hitch and one in the truck bed. Line them up and can hitch up by myself if in a pinch.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:49 AM   #95

I use one of these camera to hitch, works great

RVS-83112-WiFi | WiFi Hitch Camera | RVS Systems
Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #96

We decided to ditch our B&W Companion 5th wheel and switch over to the GooseBox so that when not towing I didn't have to fight with a 275 lb hitch to use the bed.

I have to say that I am 100% thoroughly impressed with it. There is significantly less chucking now with the airbag and shocks and it didn't really give me much more trouble to hook up than my 5th wheel. The only difference now is that I spend a minute or two making sure I am directly under the hitch front to back but doesn't seem to take very long. The only other "issue" (that really isn't an issue) is that I opted for safety chains so I have to jump in the bed to connect and disconnect those.

Aside from that though I love it. I just wish we had known about it sooner!
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #97

Couple of things to note;

1. It's a lot easier to hitch the GooseBox with 2 people. Thankfully my wife is willing to back the truck in.

2. Safety Chains have been a big debate with the GB, all I am going to say is to each his own.
I don't use them myself and I'm very comfortable with my legal position HOWEVER, I also have a complete set in the trailer if I ever get pulled over and I'm told I have to have them. Don't argue with a cop on the side of the road right or wrong if you can help it.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #98

I hate you guys...

Hey Dave look at this cool Pin Box! You really need this... Better than B&W Turnover Ball... Empty bed when you drop the 5th wheel Even lipert approves the use. rides awesome.

Errr - but I like it.

Anyone know if NorthWood Approves? Think I might call them today.

Those of you that have this what are your thoughts on if the truck had air ride VS regular leaf springs. I installed rv4tech before they disappeared and the system adjusts to the weight in the bed automatically. My only thoughts are the 2 air bag systems fight each other but I think the automatic part is slow enough that this won't be an issue, as its more about the weight change then bumps.

Besides price is there a drawback?

Currently running 06 dodge with B&W turnover ball and companion..
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote