Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2021, 02:32 PM   #15

As to the Taco , don't love nuthin that won't love ya back. Trade for a 3/4 T or trade the 5er for an A or C. I really hate paying for services I can/could do plus you could leave on your schedule & not a rv movers.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2021, 12:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We have been to a few parks that do require you to have a running vehicle capable of moving the trailer. Motorhomes have to be kept in running condition.

Ken
Good to know. Thanks.
vetplus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
As to the Taco , don't love nuthin that won't love ya back. Trade for a 3/4 T or trade the 5er for an A or C. I really hate paying for services I can/could do plus you could leave on your schedule & not a rv movers.
Ditto on the leaving on my schedule. That said, paying for an occasional move would likely be more cost effective. It is all a trade-off in one way or another.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #18

We have a large fiver on a seasonal site in western North Carolina. The campground provides a service that will winterize your rig and tow your it to their storage area for a reasonable fee. We don't have a truck to tow the fiver, because we use it exclusively on a seasonal site. The service also will return your rig to your site in the spring and level it (almost perfectly I might add). The rv must go to the storage area because we are among tall trees that lose big branches sometimes during the western North Carolina winters. It works perfectly for us, but I know for folks who don't stay put in a seasonal site, that might not be a good arrangement.
NCPearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #19

The last 3 years of my career I was required to move to another assignment about once a year. Just hired a transport service to move the 5th wheel. My employer reimbursed me for the expense.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPearlie View Post
We have a large fiver on a seasonal site in western North Carolina. The campground provides a service that will winterize your rig and tow your it to their storage area for a reasonable fee. We don't have a truck to tow the fiver, because we use it exclusively on a seasonal site. The service also will return your rig to your site in the spring and level it (almost perfectly I might add). The rv must go to the storage area because we are among tall trees that lose big branches sometimes during the western North Carolina winters. It works perfectly for us, but I know for folks who don't stay put in a seasonal site, that might not be a good arrangement.
Very neat service to have.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
The last 3 years of my career I was required to move to another assignment about once a year. Just hired a transport service to move the 5th wheel. My employer reimbursed me for the expense.
I will be moving more often than that, and I cant get reimbursed. That said, using a transport service may still be the best option.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #22

Permanent solution...Buy a 3/4-1 ton truck that can handle the trailer wt. Temporary solution get it moved once then look for a better permanent solution. Just my 0.02. If you upgrade to a new(er) truck my favorite is a 1t single rear wheel unless you plan on getting a much heavier trailer...then go dually. As for the diesel vs. gas debate...well...pick your poison.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #23

Since getting rid of your Tacoma is not an option, the first thing to do is see if its flat towable or needs a trailer. Use the dinghy tow lists. The next possibility is to see how much travel trailer you can tow and what that size trailer would be like, but if you need the space, a motorhome instead of the 5ver makes the most sense. Just be sure it can tow your truck, and possibly trailer. Many gassers can't tow more than 4 or 5000 lb.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:24 PM   #24

Hot Shot drivers can do this and they are ready and willing all over the country. Many of them will haul autos, boats, etc. Get in touch with a trucker's job board with details like from where to where and when, as the need arises and interested Hot Shot drivers will get back to you ASAP.
Dr. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:27 PM   #25

We are converting a 40' semi-trailer to a TinyHomesOnWheels ('THOW').
We hired a local trucker to move it to the acreage, then another local trucker to move it around the acreage.
It is good right where it is... at a cost to us of us$125 cash each time.
For us, no licensing, no insurance, no maintaining a rarely-used semi-truck.
We think 'sharing the love' is better than keeping it all to ourselves.
An unexpected benefit:
We needed a crane.
We asked our trucker chums, they recommended a local operator.
He has a major outside crane in his yard, plus a yuge traverse rail-mounted over-head indoor crane... with a remote-control!
Skads of fun!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #26

I found a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD turbo diesel, in great condition with only 40K miles on it, for less than $40K in Feb. of 2020. I tow my fifth wheel AND my boat with it simultaneously, and get 12 mpg. When I'm only towing the fifth wheel, mpg is 13.2. Not towing anything, just on medium & short drives, it gets 18 mpg. On long hauls (300 miles or more) I just set it at 55 mpg and avoid hard starts & hard stops and get 29.2 mpg on the flat. The fuel's a little more expensive than gasoline, but the MPG from the diesel is so much better than that of a similar truck with gasoline (which gets nearly half that mpg) that diesel's cheaper to run. Due to the pandemic, my truck's worth more now than when I bought it. Win-Win all the way around.
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ron View Post
Hot Shot drivers can do this and they are ready and willing all over the country. Many of them will haul autos, boats, etc. Get in touch with a trucker's job board with details like from where to where and when, as the need arises and interested Hot Shot drivers will get back to you ASAP.
I have never heard of Hot Shots. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
We are converting a 40' semi-trailer to a TinyHomesOnWheels ('THOW').
We hired a local trucker to move it to the acreage, then another local trucker to move it around the acreage.
It is good right where it is... at a cost to us of us$125 cash each time.
For us, no licensing, no insurance, no maintaining a rarely-used semi-truck.
We think 'sharing the love' is better than keeping it all to ourselves.
An unexpected benefit:
We needed a crane.
We asked our trucker chums, they recommended a local operator.
He has a major outside crane in his yard, plus a yuge traverse rail-mounted over-head indoor crane... with a remote-control!
Skads of fun!
Never heard of a "thow".
My moves will be more like $1100.00 a pop.