Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Anyone install a large ASME LP tank in front basement?

We are looking at custom ordering a Big County 3900FLP. With 8000 pound axles, which they do come with, I will have enough weight to add a horizontal 100 gallon (note:gallons not pounds) LP tank. Has anyone else done this? If these tanks can be installed in a trunk of a car they should be a good fit for a basement install.

As to why? Boondocking with impunity and only having to fill tanks once a month while traveling. Managing fuel tanks or carrying tanks in the truck is just not what I want.

-Dave
Valhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Seems to me it would be more hassle to move 5ther everytime you need propane.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Seems to me it would be more hassle to move 5ther everytime you need propane.
Assumption is the mother of all mistakes. I would keep the dual 30 pound bottles for emergencies.

I plan on actually using my 5th wheel. Full time and moving 12-24 times a year. If I am stagnant then I am on park hookups and wont be using any LP as the Big County is electric for everything but the furnace . The LP is for the Onan 6.5kw generator. LP stores for a long time so the fuel never goes bad.

Do you have the same perspective on fresh/black water? You need to drive it somewhere to maintain when you Boondock. May as well have similar storage for all your consumables. 100 gallon of LP is 420 pounds and the tanks are in the 300 pound range. People carry 700 pounds of water and never give it a second thought. If you average 4-6 hours of generator time per day, you can run for 20-30 days.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Dave,
Sounds like a good plan!! Looks like you've thought things through, with keeping the "reserve" LP tanks. Our 5th wheel is all electric also, so we use very little propane. We do not boon-dock or stay where it's cold anymore, so the electric does not have a problem even down to mid to low 20's at night.
On the positive side, it would definitely help your pin hitch weight in proportion with the 5th wheel weight. Only draw back I see is, loss of basement space. But, that would be a negligible loss. I'd go for it!!

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1poles View Post
Dave,
Sounds like a good plan!! Looks like you've thought things through, with keeping the "reserve" LP tanks. Our 5th wheel is all electric also, so we use very little propane. We do not boon-dock or stay where it's cold anymore, so the electric does not have a problem even down to mid to low 20's at night.
On the positive side, it would definitely help your pin hitch weight in proportion with the 5th wheel weight. Only draw back I see is, loss of basement space. But, that would be a negligible loss. I'd go for it!!

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
Thanks. The BC 3900FLP has 3 basements with 150 cubic feet of space. I plan on using the front one solely for heavy utility. The DW can have the other two, about 95 cubic feet.

I am just checking to see if anyone has done this and run into any engineering issues like ventilation or fill valve placement. If I can, I would love to mount a fill\vent to the wall for a permanent external maintenance solution. As I stated, 'assumptions are the mother of all mistakes'.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Dave,
If you know someone in the LP industry, show them pictures and talk to them, they could most likely answer all the questions. Until someone does get in the conversation, that has actually done it and hopefully there is. The only real concern I would see is the actual mounting. I would think you would need to beef up between the frame, for the support of the tank. The welding to the frame, also might void your "warranty" on the frame, something else to check. Sounds like your setup is like ours, I have all my "heavy, dirty" work tools and stuff in the "dirty" front, and the wife has all her "clean" stuff in the "clean" upper basement, LOL.
On another note kinda off the subject, since you are ordering and sounds like you will be traveling a lot, check on the MOR/ryde Independent Suspension System (IS), with disc brakes. It is better and more handy, than a pocket on a shirt. We also have the MOR/ryde Rubber Pin Box. We have a smooth ride and pull's like the prefect dream, not a nightmare! Both are one of the best investments, we ever made!!!!

God bless!
Mike
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

Interesting thought. I know that Open Range had a TT that was similar to a 5'er, in that it has a raised bedroom in the rear. That model has four 20-pound propane tanks. That would mean that you would still have three tanks to run on when one ran out.

Our MH has an 80-gallon tank, which is 64 gallons usable. We were in Oklahoma from December to May. We filled the tank on 2 January and again in March. Others there had 5'ers with 30-pound tanks. They were amazed that we didn't have to fill the propane tank. Yes, we had to drive the coach into town to fill the tank in March.

The biggest problem I see, assuming that you are able to get the tank properly installed, is maneuvering your 5'er to where you can fill the propane tank. You can mitigate that somewhat by checking the various suppliers out before you need to fill.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

Ok responding to the posts above...

• An AutoGas 100 gallon tank is designed to bolt to a bed or frame. Its framing is designed to mount in the trunk of an automobile or bed of a truck. My thought is to mount a 50 inch by 19 inch diameter tank to the generator's firewall dead center to the frame.
  • If you put an auto fuel fill valve you can use any public LP station.
  • Public Liquefied Propane Gas (LPG) stations and prices in the USA for example. Most are pull through for LP vehicle users.
All these are good points. keep them coming. I am looking for 'the one' I can't engineer around. ��
Old 11-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #9

"I am looking for 'the one' I can't engineer around." There isn't one. All it takes is money. <grin>
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
"I am looking for 'the one' I can't engineer around." There isn't one. All it takes is money. <grin>
Well considering the original plan was to buy a Dutchstar 4369, that is not an issue. 5th wheel money is less than half of 'bus money'. . Part of the reason I am going 5th wheel. I can buy new and build what I wish.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #11

After talking with Heartland engineering AND talking with their frame vendor, the front pass through will not hold the weight. I either have to go with a smaller tank or just use the paltry 18 gallons two 40 pounders hold. That will not last long for dry camping.

So, we are back to looking at luxury toy haulers. So far the Sonoma or Las Vegas are looking the best. Toy hauler living room is tiny, as usual, but the master bedroom has seating for 3-4 as well and that huge bay window.

Floor Plans - CrossRoads RV

Tags
install, tank