Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #1

Anyone install aftermarket auto-level in a 5er

The fivers we are looking at do NOT include auto-level. Has anyone installed an aftermarket version? Difficulty?

Thanks,
Zac
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Also would like to know as I am thinking of changing mine to auto-level
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

We had a Quadra Big Foot system installed on our Travel Supreme trailer. The challenge the folks at White Pigeon had was our front cap area was sealed because of the generator. So we had one 40# propane tank removed for one of the jacks. We don't use propane very much so that wasn't a problem.

The frame of the Travel Supreme is strong enough to allow the entire trailer to be raised almost a foot. Not recommended but it makes changing tires a lot easier.

Not all light and mid-weight trailer can have only four jack because of frame strength.

Life is good with auto-leveling. Would not be without it.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #4

I honestly don't see the need. Now we have independent front electric levelers and strong arm crankdowns in rear. This is easy and fast. It is also cheap and easy to repair when needed. It's your money though. Now IS is. This is in my Teton future upgrade.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
The fivers we are looking at do NOT include auto-level. Has anyone installed an aftermarket version? Difficulty?

Thanks,
Zac

I believe if you check, Lippert will not sell its auto-leveling system as a DIY. It must be installed by and authorized service organization. It requires frame welding and stiffening.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

Lippert Ground control 3.0 fifth wheel kit with remote Part #94-7278 MSRP $3,209.00. Looks like it's in the NTP/Stag catalog. I don't see anything about who can buy. Have never installed on, but looking at the parts, it looks like it is all bolt-on.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

I, too, don't think Lippert will sell direct to you. I looked at the installation manual for the Quadratrack. Holy mackeral, I'm very handy and wouldn't attempt it.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

Lippert won't sell direcdtly to you, but the dealers who order their parts through NTP/Stag will. Go to a dealer who purchases from that distributor, almost all do. Tell them to open to page 719 in their Stag 2015 Big Book (their hard cover catalog) to Ground Control 3.0. Point at it and ask them to order it for you.

It most likely will be a special order, so no returns and it might take 7-10 days for it to arrive and you may have to pay for it in advance or make a deposit given the cost the fact it will not be a fast mover, if they get stuck with it.

Steve
Old 12-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #9

JMHO but I wouldn't put anything named Lippert on my trailer unless it was a Lippert part for an OEM Lippert item. Why ask for more trouble.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

I looked in to it on our previous Fuzion toy hauler. We had front hydraulic jacks but didn't have the auto leveling. It was going to cost me around $5,000 which financially didn't make sense to me because there were some other options I also wanted. I traded toy haulers and got what I wanted. Personally, I'd look at other 5th wheels get one with auto leveling from the factory.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

C130, I think your decision makes sense. The cost of expensive add-ons can almost never be recaptured at the time of trade or sale.

Steve
Old 12-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

Adding an after-market auto-leveling system to a new coach doesn't make much sense, but adding it to a used coach might. We're looking at possibly switching to a 10-12-year-old 5'er, and few (if any) of those will have a factory auto-leveling system. Adding it to such a coach may not make financial sense, in that we probably won't recoup the cost, but it just may make life easier for us, and maybe will make the coach easier to sell at some future date. If it brings some of the initial cost that would be a bonus.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:42 AM   #13

David,

For sure if you will enjoy it, it is worthwhile and you are right, it will make resale easier. Some folks expect to get the value of their options back out when it comes time to trade or sell, but that just doesn't happen (unless you are lucky enough to find someone who takes NADA pricing seriously).

Some folks, like us for example, change RVs often and I get so tired of taking off the upgrades and putting them on our "next last RV". On our most recent purchase, that has meant a solar system with inverter, power distribution panel, and the list goes on and on. Knowing me, I would have to pull the auto levelers and reinstall them. I guess the one upside is I get faster each time removing and installing things!

Steve
Old 12-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #14

Just viewing recouping the cost misses the value of having the feature to use. You could say why buy an RV since you cannot recoup the cost of it.

In this case, automatic leveler system are a real value to me as it is so easy to setup in the campground. No boards to level the wheels. And we can level the trailer without torqueing the frame if you just use front jacks for leveling.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install