Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Anyone know the dry pin weight of a DRV 39DBRS3?

We’ve narrowed our search for a full-time RV to a very short list, with the DRV Mobile Suites 39DBRS3 at the top of that list. I have no doubt that a properly equipped RAM 3500 dually can pull the fully loaded trailer but I don’t know at what point the kingpin will exceed the truck’s payload or rear axle capacity because the manufacturer has not published the dry pin weight.

Is there anyone out there who owns one of these units that has actually put it on the scales? If so, what are the numbers?
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
paz

DRV is not very forthcoming with their weight info. We just went through the hassle of trying to find weights when we ordered our new Tradition. You might try the Suites Owners International Travel Club Forum. You will have to register for the forum to ask your question, but you don't have to join the travel club.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

Its out there,I have been to rallys where they get weights by axle ,side and pin.
FYI add about 1000# to the brochure number (at least),full timers even more.
My 'brochure' pin weight was 2800#- reality- 4040 # from a CAT scale, be ready.
They are not forthcoming because of so many variables but they also don't want to scare off customers who do not want too big a truck.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

By DOT regulation the RV trailer manufacturer MUST publish a hitch/pin weight. For fifth wheel trailers it's one of the figures used to establish GVWR and GAWR.

This is how the statement reads in the regulation: FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.2.

RV trailers, the sum of the GAWRs of all axles on the vehicle plus the vehicle manufacturer's recommended tongue weight must not be less than the GVWR. If tongue weight is specified as a range, the minimum value must be used.

FastEagle

p.s. After the trailer is sold the owner becomes responsible for all subsequent pin weights.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

hone eagle is close to correct, but may be short at 1000# added. The DRVs are almost always higher than 20% of the GVWR. Ancient history, but my '05 at 16000 GVWR has a PW of 4200#
Haven't answered your question, but it will be north of 4000#.....unless that model is a triple-axle.

FastEagle, altho I understand what you are stating, nowhere in the part that you quote does it say must PUBLISH the rating, just that it has to be as they say.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #6

My 36 SB3 is very heavy! 19K with a 5K pin.

Take the gross weight rating for your RV and 25% of that number will be very close to the pin. Dry weights mean NOTHING!!!!!

The 2015 RAM Dually will easily handle your RV and all weights will easily be within specs!

We will be ordering a Elite/MobileSuites soon 39 TKSB3. I am sure it will be about 20K when we transfer our goods and the pin will be about 5,500#.

Truck on order is a 2015 RAM LongHorn Crew Dually with factory rear air.

Get er ordered!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

For a 5500# pin you will want air bags. We have a 5680# pin and it bowed springs backwards. GM said this was normal with this weight but I was not comfortable. Most I know of with pin weight this high has bags. Much better. We also replaced bed with hauler bed and air hitch. We really love it.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
For a 5500# pin you will want air bags. We have a 5680# pin and it bowed springs backwards. GM said this was normal with this weight but I was not comfortable. Most I know of with pin weight this high has bags. Much better. We also replaced bed with hauler bed and air hitch. We really love it.
Seems to me that any vehicle that has to have air bags to keep the springs from bowing backwards (normal or not) and is still under the GAWR is either under designed or the capabilities are grossly optimistic.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post

FastEagle, altho I understand what you are stating, nowhere in the part that you quote does it say must PUBLISH the rating, just that it has to be as they say.

Joe
OK, there is another way to mathematically come to the pin weight provided to the DOT. Look at your trailers certification label, write down the GVWR, subtract the total GAWR, the remainder is the minimum pin weight they could have used.

FE
Old 12-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
OK, there is another way to mathematically come to the pin weight provided to the DOT. Look at your trailers certification label, write down the GVWR, subtract the total GAWR, the remainder is the minimum pin weight they could have used.

FE
What possible use is minimum pin weight ?
actual # derived from a scale in camping trim is the only relevant number.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #11

I came to my weights on an Cat scale. My rear axle was within specs. The look of my springs had me "scratching my head". Even looked at other trucks to make sure mine had what it suppose to have. Bags solved it though. Put 5 psi in them, when loaded they go up to 35 due to weight. I add nothing to them. Springs look normal and truck is level, so is 5ther which is the most important item. By the way, my dry advertised pin weight was 2845#.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #12

Until the FMVSS changes something, the way it is written keeps mfgs from advertising an impossibly low pin weight would be my guess.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
What possible use is minimum pin weight ?
actual # derived from a scale in camping trim is the only relevant number.
It depends on who's shoes you are standing in.

From the trailer manufacturers view they Must provide a pin weight. When combined with total GAWR it will be equal to or greater than the certified GVWR. They have zero control of pin weights once the trailer is sold.

From an owners view the pin weight is going to be added to the tow vehicle's load allowance. The trailer owner is responsible for loading and balancing their trailer's weight.

Here is a good reference to take to the scales.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

FE
Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #14

Cummins12V98, I’m just about to order the same truck as you… a 2015 Longhorn 3500 dually with rear air suspension. But unlike you, I’m not so sure it will, as you say, “easily handle” the weights of the 39 DBRS3, at least not when the trailer is fully loaded. Towing is not even an issue. It’s the pin weight that I’m worried about.

First, let me say that I never take the manufacture’s published weights as Gospel until I see it on the scales. That being said, the GVWR of my prospective trailer is 21,000 lbs. The DRV website lists the dry weight at 15,750. That’s 5,250 less than gross. But the yellow safety certification label on the one at the dealership listed CCC as 3,995. I assume then, that DRV added about 1,200 lbs of cool stuff like a garbage disposal (yes, they did!), an inverter, washer/dryer, etc. to that unit. The certification label lists the two axles as 8,000 each, but nowhere is the dry pin weight listed.

FastEagle suggest I simply subtract GAWR from GVWR to get the minimum pin weight. I disagree. That’d be 5,000 lbs, and that’d be the maximum pin weight. I want to know the the dry pin weight so I can figure out how much gear I can load in the trailer before the pin weight exceeds the truck’s payload or rear axle weight rating. The RAM literature lists max payload at only 5,680 for the configuration I need (diesel, dually, long bed). It doesn’t do me any good to have nearly 4,000 lbs of CCC available in the trailer if just a fraction of it will cause the pin to overload the truck’s rear axle.

Hone Eagle asks “What possible use is the minimum pin weight?” Perhaps minimum is the wrong word. I want to know the unloaded, dry weight so that I have a starting point to be sure there’s a good spread between that weight and the pin weight of a loaded trailer before I commit to buying a truck that can’t carry the load or a trailer that weighs too much for the truck.

Cummins says “Take the gross weight rating for your RV and 25% of that number will be very close to the pin. Dry weights mean NOTHING!!!!!.” No, no no! That’s not exactly right, either. it’s important to me. The trailer’s GVWR is 21K, and 25% of that is 5,250. The mighty RAM 3500 payload capacity is 5,680, leaving only 430 lbs. That’s not even enough for me, my wife, and my dog, let alone the hitch in the bed of the truck. That just tells me I can’t mount a fully loaded trailer. A properly designed 5th wheel will have an actual pin weight between 15% and 25% of the GVW, not the GVWR. It'll vary with the overall weight. So a half-loaded trailer will have a pin weight somewhat less than a fully loaded trailer. I already know the overall dry weight. I want to know the dry pin weight so I can determine the pin to axle ratio and how much I can actually carry without busting any limits so I can decide if I can live with that much (or that little) while living on the road. I was a flight engineer/load master in a previous life. I can do weight & balance! I just need valid numbers.

Paz says “DRV is not very forthcoming with their weight info.” Ain’t that the truth! I had a dealer call DRV and ask for the dry pin weight. I was sitting across the table from him when he made the call. DRV quoted 3600 lbs. That was lower than I had expected, but seemed reasonable given that it’s about 23% of gross (dry weight). A few weeks later I followed up by calling DRV myself. The factory rep did some research and e-mailed me the next day. He said he recorded the numbers from about two dozen units and the actual average pin weight was 2924 and the average overall dry weight was 16950. That makes the average ratio close to 17%. That too seems reasonable considering the floorplan. The bed is much further aft than most other floorpans, with not a lot of heavy items up front. Even the washer/dryer cabinet is positioned mid-ship. Of course, as I load up the basement with all our stuff it’ll move that ratio closer to 25% and put more weight on the truck.

In the back of my mind I know the factory reps and sales people want to sell trailers, so they’ll want to play down any talk about heavy pin weights or else people will think they’ll have to go out and buy a Freightliner. That’s why I started this thread. I wanted to hear from folks who actually own this particular model. I certainly do appreciate all the comments from the folks on this forum, but I’m going to take Paz’s advice and ask the question on the Suites Owners site as well.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight