Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #43

Well you can always use the pickup for somthing for other things. The MH justs sits there.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #44

We've had 2 motorhomes and 2 fivers...and just ordered our 3rd fiver. We tow with a F350 dually. Tows a 40 ft fiver like a dream. Still had to tow a toad with our motorhomes. We do use the truck at home,and have missed it when we didn't have it. Finally decided to go from MH to fiver when we were only getting 6mph on the MH and now we get about 12-13mph with the truck. Also we like the variability of floor plans with the fifth wheels. We took. 2 month long road trip to New England last fall from CA and had no problem at all touring around small towns and narrow roads with the truck.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #45

New Horizons Owners Club
Went from DP to a 5th wheel

We always had motor homes, the last one a Diesel Pusher with 4 slides. It was a beauty ! We pulled a Jeep behind it.

It turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL LEMON and the manufacturer "chose" to buy it back from us the day before we were set to go to court under Calif. Lemon Law.

We have a New Horizons Majestic that has more storage than our Motorhome did. It also has a washer/dryer, fireplace, dishwasher and is almost nicer than our home in California. My husband is glad he doesn't have two engines to deal with and if our truck needs work while we are traveling we still have our "home on wheels." That wasn't the case when our Motorhome broke down. We were stuck parked in a repair lot for several days which was not fun.

There are pros and cons to both and no "perfect" RV for everybody. We don't missed being bounced around by high winds in a Motorhome. I do love the way our New Horizons hauls, I don't even know it's behind us. We haul it with a Freightliner M2 as it is 43 feet long and a triple axle. It's also a heavy 5th wheel with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds and has a low center of gravity.

I'd only upgrade to a PREVOST but unless I win the lottery I don't see that happening anytime soon
Old 11-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillorTeresa View Post
We always had motor homes, the last one a Diesel Pusher with 4 slides. It was a beauty ! We pulled a Jeep behind it.

It turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL LEMON and the manufacturer "chose" to buy it back from us the day before we were set to go to court under Calif. Lemon Law.

We have a New Horizons Majestic that has more storage than our Motorhome did. It also has a washer/dryer, fireplace, dishwasher and is almost nicer than our home in California. My husband is glad he doesn't have two engines to deal with and if our truck needs work while we are traveling we still have our "home on wheels." That wasn't the case when our Motorhome broke down. We were stuck parked in a repair lot for several days which was not fun.

There are pros and cons to both and no "perfect" RV for everybody. We don't missed being bounced around by high winds in a Motorhome. I do love the way our New Horizons hauls, I don't even know it's behind us. We haul it with a Freightliner M2 as it is 43 feet long and a triple axle. It's also a heavy 5th wheel with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds and has a low center of gravity.

I'd only upgrade to a PREVOST but unless I win the lottery I don't see that happening anytime soon
That is what I call a serious rig shown in your avatar. Having seen a few rigs like yours over the last couple of years I consider yours the ultimate way to go. That sucker would pull a building off it's foundation. I cannot really tell from the photo but they look like they are color coordinated.

I went from a 5th wheel to a motorhome and back to a 5th wheel

Our RV adventures started 6 years ago with the purchase of an KZ 30' pull behind toy hauler. I have had motorcycles nearly all my adult life and just could not go anywhere without it. My wife and I have ridden our bike in almost every state in the US and that was made even more enjoyable when we got our first trailer. Shortly after the purchase of our first toy hauler we made the mistake of going to a very large RV show at the Tampa Florida fair grounds. We like many others soon found out that we "needed" a larger trailer so we purchased a 40 foot Keystone Raptor and of course now we needed a larger truck, so enter a new Ford F350 diesel dually. We had this setup for 2 years until (you got it) we again went to the same RV show.

While traveling thru many RV parks we started to like the idea of a Class A motor home and of course we had to be able to take the Goldwing. There are a few Class A' toy haulers but we did not find any that we liked. So we started searching all over the internet and several months later found a 2007 Country Coach Inspire that had everything we needed except the interior storage for the Goldwing. So we said goodbye to the Raptor and my new Ford dually and purchased the Country Coach. We found a super hydraulic lift that would carry the 1000lb Goldwing bike welded to the frame on the rear So off we went again traveling all over the country. Class A motor homes are a real pleasure to driveand extremely comfortable but are very expensive to own and especially pricey to operate. Every repair or accessory seems to start at $1,000. I remember my son telling me when we were thinking about buying our first trailer that I should just bite the bullet and purchase a class A motor home. He seems to know me better than I know myself, and he was right.I cannot tell you how many thousands of dollars we could have saved had I taken his advice.We finally sold the motor home last year and said goodbye to the wonderful world of RVing, or so we thought. Last week we purchased a Forrest river silverback and a new (you guesses it) Ford F250 diesel. Once RVing gets in our blood it stays there forever

Tags
5th wheel, class a