Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #29

You are going to move your 5er two times a year? Unless you are going a long way with no other heavy towing anticipated, I'd probably get a gasser also.

And the new Ford gasser looks like it will be a beast. It will be more expensive than other gassers maybe but nothing like a diesel and the transmission that goes with the diesel. You just have to get used to hearing it work.

And I recently towed 1000 miles and never went to a truck stop for fuel. It wasn't bad at all.

2005 Jayco Designer 31RKS
5001craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #30

Set your comfortable budget and buy the newest truck you can. There have been incremental improvements in the last several years.

2011 was a good year for truck improvements. GM really improved their frame. I would not buy any truck older than 2011. In 2013 for Ram with the 6.4 litre gas motor. In 2017 Ford made huge improvements in frame and tweaked the 6.2 Boss engine (gas).

In 2011 Ford introduced the 5th wheel hitch option AKA the 'puck system' and the 6.2 Boss engine.

Pre 2017 both Ram and GM had a better frame than Ford. The Ford frame was ok, Ram and GM were better.

I started following trucks in 2006. Those were the dark ages. In 2011 the dark ages ended.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #31

OP, Im on a firearms/hunting forum for Oklahoma and one of the members posted this not long ago. Not sure of your budget but if you don't need 4x4 and can get a couple grand off the asking price you may have yourself a damn fine truck with a great 5.9 in it.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/f...el-5-9.275094/
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes. We had a Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4, but our Cougar, although the same length you're looking at, was considerably less GVWR (10k).

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010243.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	677.0 KB
ID:	245429  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #33

Something I haven't seen mentioned in this discussion is the differential gear ratio. There is no question the diesel powered trucks have much more torque than the gas powered engines. However with the gear ratio being matched for the load a gas powered truck can hold it's own.
If I was looking for a gas powered truck to pull a 5er I would search for a truck with a 4.10:1 gear ratio and a large displacement engine such as a 2500 or 3500 series Chevrolet or GMC 2 WD. with a 6.0 engine. Depending on the way the truck was originally built these trucks could have been built with a 3.42:1 gear ratio which will cause the truck's engine to work harder pulling a heavy load up a steep or long hill.
If the gear ratio isn't listed on the data sheet somewhere in the truck (usually in the glove box on these trucks) a call to the dealership's parts department would be in order. Ask the counterman what the truck was built with. You will need to give the counterman the last 8 digits of the VIN. He can look the truck up and provide the gear ratio information.
The lower (higher numerically) ratio will consume a little more fuel running around with no load but will be better when pulling a heavy load as the engine is not working as hard to pull or carry the load. The lower ratio is also easier on the transmission and other drive train components. The transmission will actually shift down and back up less when pulling a load up hill.
The same gear ratio information would apply to a Ford or Dodge truck. I just used Chevrolet or GMC as an example. No offense intended.
Lynn
Old 05-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #34

After towing with a diesel, I can't imagine towing anything with any serious weight again with a gasser. But this state is very mountainous which kills gassers and why we sold our Class C motorhome. That V10 Ford gasser screaming at near 5k rpm pulling a long grade towing a Jeep Liberty had our nerves rattled. Even an older 5.9 Cummins will pull grades like a beast.

For occasional towing a gasser on flat land is fine, but throw in some mountains, and you will be hating life.
Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
I am in the process of truck shopping, but I really do not want a diesel. This will be a used truck that will also serve as my daily driver.
The rig is approx. 30 feet in length. The dry weight is almost 10k, and the GVWR is just under 14K. The hitch is rated for 15k as well. I only anticipate moving this rig a few times a year and never for distances that would exceed 500 miles in any one trip. This rig is what I live in while working on the road. Any suggestions and shopping advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Depending on what you mean by a few times a year, hiring someone to move your rig may be cheaper than buying, insuring, licensing and maintaining a second truck.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #36

Looks like some people are back on diesel dually to tow anything. The ford trucks had the same ratingsfrom 05 to the new body style. Gm didnt change much for most of the 00s-teens. For your needs id be looking at a low mileage pre emissions duramax or a 6.0 thats been done up right.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #37

I worked for a guy that had a 10k job trailer hooked to a 11ish 2500hd. It pulled it well but that engine was really wound up on the hills around here but the little 6.0 did it. I think it blew one trans in 200k
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #38

Our TH is not quite as heavy as yours, but we pull it all over the mountains out here in the West. WE have the 6.2, 6 speed and 4.30 gears. Yes, it goes above idle to climb a hill, but it is a very strong setup.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #39

Yep i mentioned a gas engine and a ton of rear gear. 8.1L 6sp allison and 4.88 rear gears is a good example. sometimes i think 5.13 or 5.38 would be even better
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #40

All you die hard diesel fans are missing the OP's part about only a couple times a year. Yes, a diesel will tow better we all know that. Here, I'll say it again to make you happy. A diesel tows better than gas. That's not to say a gas isn't able to tow a plenty big 5th wheel. I'm guessing OP doesn't want a diesel because he doesn't want a project. Diesels hold their value so well that the cost of used ones like being discussed is just ridiculous. Anything under 20K will be over 20 years old and have north of 200K miles.

OP, there are plenty of gassers more than capable of hauling your 5th wheel. I pull an 11,000# 5th with my 2014 Ram 6.4 Hemi and it does fine. Yes, it would be better/faster in a diesel and I could easily go buy one but my current truck is paid for and the money looks better in my IRA (well, maybe not today as the market fell 600+ points but most days, anyway).
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I'm guessing OP doesn't want a diesel because he doesn't want a project. Diesels hold their value so well that the cost of used ones like being discussed is just ridiculous. Anything under 20K will be over 20 years old and have north of 200K miles.
I like to do a lot of my own maintenance and I know nothing about diesel engines. I do get a bit "tickled" about die hard diesel folks saying that the engine is just getting "broke in" at 200k miles. That may well be true, but the rest of the vehicle still has 200k miles of varying degrees of "wear and tear" on the vehicle depending on how it was driven and maintained. And I used to think that used Toyota Tacomas were ridiculously priced...….
Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #42

To be honest, the OP said it all in his first sentence....."I am in the process of truck shopping, but I really do not want a diesel".

So it really doesn't matter what us "die hard diesel fans" say. Bottom line is just get the best gas HD truck for the budget he has and live with single digit mpg's and poor climbing ablity.
Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas