Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #29

FYI, I have been out of the RV world for about 18 years. Previously owned about half a dozen with last one being a 5th wheel 27' Hitchhiker by NuWa. It was basic, no slides or fru-fru stuff but it was great for the 5 years we owned it. Never once had an issue and we boondocked a lot in it.

Fast forward to today. We are in the same boat, looking to purchase another RV. One thing I have learned in my search is try to go to an RV show or two. Do prior research and figure out maybe 4-5 models you want to look at, see them in person and you can tell pretty quickly which units have that better quality you are seeking. Plus at a show they tend to offer sale prices. I saw units as much as 25% off MSRP. To my surprise, at the recent Denver show sales people were not pushy at all. Lots of reps from the factory who can answer questions and not guess at them like some sales people do.

I did this and it really opened my eyes. I am not gonna slam any RV here but I will tell you I was really impressed with build quality of the Outdoors RV. You might look at their Timber Ridge 28BKS, it should match to your F250 just fine. Arctic Fox was one of the ones on my list and although they did not have any TT's or 5th wheels at the show they did have 3 slide ins. I was impressed with their build quality.

Here is a link to the Good Sam 2019 RV schedule. Cheers and good luck!
https://www.goodsam.com/events/
Guido Gamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Gamil View Post
I saw units as much as 25% off MSRP.
fwiw, this is no great deal. In fact, I'd even venture to say paying 75% of MSRP is overpaying. I paid around 65% for the last two new units I bought. Shows are notorious for making people think they are getting a good deal and if you don't, "buy today you'll never get as good of a deal." A lot of the salesmen are from out of the area and only care about making a sale.... TODAY!
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob89 View Post
Thanks for the advice and tips guys. Are the nose cones basically all the same or are there certain models where the nose cone is more conducive to maneuvering with a short bed? Is it possible to get a 75 or 80 degree jack with the short bed?
With a short bed (I have had 2) you need an auto-sliding hitch for most 5ers. Keep in mind that if you do not get an a/s hitch and you hit the cab you will pay out 2 to 3 times what you would have paid for the a/s to start with.

As for quality, you will find that people are more likely to post about "problems" than they are about no problems. An RV (TT, 5er or MH) can not be built like a stick and brick home, it must be able to flex or move as it is going down the highway. An RV takes more maintenance than a house does. If you would jack up your house and put I beams and wheels under it then pull it down the road at 65mph you would not get a mile before it falls apart.

I would say that a lot of those "JUNK" RV stories you read about are from people who have no idea about how to maintain an RV they just hook and go!
Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
With a short bed (I have had 2) you need an auto-sliding hitch for most 5ers. Keep in mind that if you do not get an a/s hitch and you hit the cab you will pay out 2 to 3 times what you would have paid for the a/s to start with.

As for quality, you will find that people are more likely to post about "problems" than they are about no problems. An RV (TT, 5er or MH) can not be built like a stick and brick home, it must be able to flex or move as it is going down the highway. An RV takes more maintenance than a house does. If you would jack up your house and put I beams and wheels under it then pull it down the road at 65mph you would not get a mile before it falls apart.

I would say that a lot of those "JUNK" RV stories you read about are from people who have no idea about how to maintain an RV they just hook and go!
Disagree. Spend enough years reading on RV forums and it's a fact that there's many experienced owners that buy new RV's only to tell horror stories about problems in the 1st week, month or year. None caused by neglect.

Examples. I won't divulge the MFG's.

1. leaking cold water inlet to water heater; repaired by myself
2. coach shipped with wrong remote for fireplace, new remote provided by dealer
3. inside trim around entry door not attached....flapping. Reattached by dealer
4. cracked trim around shower skylight; replaced by dealer
5. both kitchen sink baskets leaked; repaired myself
6. blackboard over desk falling off wall. Removed and replaced with white clean erase board
7. mirrors falling out of sliding closet doors. Dealer checking with (Brand) on repair/replacement. I have temporarily secured them with Gorilla tape.

Upgrades we have done to replace items of poor quality/poor function"

1. replaced kitchen faucet with Moen single handle pull down model
2. replaced fixed TV mount in bedroom with mount that swivels, tilts
3. purchased decent Sony DVD player for living room; Jensen unit pretty crappy
4. replaced manual bath vent fan with auto fan with remote

A 2019 Brand X.

After two trips to Lazydays
1. Drawers & cupboards that would not close securely (Resolved)
2. Trailer brakes needed calibration (Resolved)
3. Sensors on black and gray tanks not working correctly (Resolved)
4. Multiple unsightly areas on slide molding that appear rubbed and damaged due to excess filler used to cover nails. (Resolved)
5. Hallway floor outside the bathroom pops/creaks (Resolved)
6. Refrigerator does not stay running on gas while traveling (Tech could not replicate, but nonetheless it completely shuts off during travel/Not fixed)
7. Areas where the laminate flooring is not secure and “bubbles” under the fireplace and refrigerator. (Resolved)
8. One Thomas Payne recliners have already started to peel. (Denied by the manufacturer)
9. Kitchen table cracked-left side (A new table has been approved and is being ordered)

I can post these stories all day long. Fact is while not junk, they're certainly sloppily put together and need fine tuning.
Many many stories of experienced RV'ers buying their 3rd or 4th and getting one that needs many trips back to the dealer. and not for the same problem.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #33

If they're experienced, they ought to know how to check stuff out.....and shame on them for not doing a quality PDI....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #34

Rob, I have the same Ford as you with the exception that mine is the F-350. We purchased a new 2017 Jayco 27.5 RLTS 5th wheel. We did a THOUROGH walk thru even before we inked the deal. I found a couple minor issues that were fixed prior to me signing on the proverbial dotted line. And, yes. I have read the horror stories on the rv's as well both tt's and 5er's. I did purchased the extended warranty and have not had to use it. We bought ours in August of 2016 from Camping World GASP!.....They were great to deal with. So for all the negative feedback you read, there is a lot more positive feedback as well. The same applies to cars, trucks, washing machines etc.etc.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #35

We have an 03 Teton also. Only replaced faucets, ac, upgraded several items, Mini split, disc brakes, TV's, etc. Still in excellent shape. But units such as ours were high priced back in 03. You basically get what you pay for. We researched for about 2 years. Nothing we found on the market inpressed us. We looked at units also $100,000 market. Found this Teton and latched on. It's a keeper. For a full-time unit, it will be heavy. Lightweight cuts weight in infustructure.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If they're experienced, they ought to know how to check stuff out.....and shame on them for not doing a quality PDI....
How do you find out that drawers don't stay closed when the new RV is sitting still at the lot?
How do you know if the recliner will flake when it's sitting at the lot?
How do you know if the fridge won't run when towing?
Etc, etc ,etc.
Many problems aren't caught in PDI.

RV's aren't junk but there's a reason why they depreciated 50% in 5 years. And it's not from a lack of maintenance.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #37

To answer the OP 's question yes.

Don't care if you have 3-36" frame rails stacked, glued, screwed and welded...there is only a tiny piece of tin that extends out from the frame (outriggers) that hold the box and keep stuff from twisting.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
To answer the OP 's question yes.

Don't care if you have 3-36" frame rails stacked, glued, screwed and welded...there is only a tiny piece of tin that extends out from the frame (outriggers) that hold the box and keep stuff from twisting.
Not true for some units. My Teton for one. There are others also. But I have seen what you are saying on most mass produced campers.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #39

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by genou812 View Post
Rob I am in the same boat. I currently own an 03 Laredo 5th 25RL. It's in the 8k range. I own 2 GMC Sierra 2500's, the first a 2000 gas 6.0 and a 2006 Diesel, both long bed 4x4. I bought the diesel because I felt I was dogging the gas too much hitting the grades in North GA. The diesel with the Allison transmission can pass people with ease on the grades. So to answer your question the gas will pull it fine, the diesel is defiantly my go too pull vehicle.

Were heading to an rv show today. I am looking with an open mind and have been doing my research. We're lookin at the Keystone Cougar 30RLS, but the Grand Design Reflection 30RLS also has my eye. Our Laredo is an 03, I'm at least the second owner. It has a few quirks but is very stable frame wise. I've completely moded it out including a custom built cabinet between the living area and bathroom with an entertainment center and fireplace. Other than that I have few complaints and made minimum repairs. Did catch a branch and tore the roof, made a good patch and was back in business.

The point is it was a healthy rv, and upgrading will prove to be a little nerve racking . My research on new units has opened my eyes, it seems that all new units have the chance of having issues, but some more than others. I will not by anything made by Thor, I really like the looks and features of the Jayco Eagle, but if there isnt reasonable workmanship just cant go there. The other thing I've learned is it's all about the dealer, do as much research on them as well as the unit...

We own a Kz brand 5th wheel which is owned by Thor now, it has severed us well an is pretty darn well built ... Thor has left Kz alone an let the company run it's self for the most part, so not all Thor products are junk Are there cheap models made by Thor, yep, but like everything if you take care of it, it will last ... Kz also make light weight 5th wheels an TT trailers an been in business from the early 70es but are not well known, i'd say they are the sleeper in the RV industry at the moment, well built but not advertised allot ... https://www.kz-rv.com/
Old 01-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have stated, some are much better than others. Some new units come with plenty of issues to be fixed, too many IMO. Most will have at least a few issues when new, but usually get worked out pretty fast. Quality is frequently proportional to cost and weight.

Our Excel 5th is now 11 years old and doing very well. I've replaced a few items, alarms, water pump, etc but that's normal wear and tear. Our much newer Minnie Winnie is not anywhere near the build quality of the Excel but it's also doing fine.

IMO- quality starts with the frame and suspension system and goes up from there. I would not buy a 5th that was not built on an in-house or custom frame/suspension system. Unless it was just going to be parked somewhere or towed only a few miles per year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #41

Higher end units will weigh much more than your truck can handle. Quality = weight the majority of the time. Personally I feel your 3/4 ton gas truck is going to be a limiting factor in how much quality you can get

On another note, our fiver had msrp of 102k back in 2015...got it for 60% of that. It has been a good unit and has been towed 20k miles...things flex and happen, but all in all it’s held up ok...that being said, it was slapped together and the quality of it is a “5” IMO.

compare any of the high volume units with a quality DP or a high end fiver (well over 100k msrp) and you can tell which units are made for full time travel and which aren’t. When a 35’ fiver weighs 10k and another 35’ fiver weighs 17k....that should tell you something.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
As others have stated, some are much better than others. Some new units come with plenty of issues to be fixed, too many IMO. Most will have at least a few issues when new, but usually get worked out pretty fast. Quality is frequently proportional to cost and weight.

Our Excel 5th is now 11 years old and doing very well. I've replaced a few items, alarms, water pump, etc but that's normal wear and tear. Our much newer Minnie Winnie is not anywhere near the build quality of the Excel but it's also doing fine.

IMO- quality starts with the frame and suspension system and goes up from there. I would not buy a 5th that was not built on an in-house or custom frame/suspension system. Unless it was just going to be parked somewhere or towed only a few miles per year.
Fred, I'm torn between Grand Design AND Northwoods Manufacturing for full time living ......what say you??? TIA

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer