Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #1

Are there actually any RV's that fit what I'm looking for?

Been RV hunting, and have been frustrated by several aspects: Family rooms that are centered around a TV. Small kitchen tables and workspaces. Showers where my head literally sticks out of the skylight and sinks where I have to wash my hands one at a time.

Is there a model that would actually work for me? The closest I've found is the stuff Cedar Creek is putting out but I've been scared by Forest River's bad reputation. Essentials for me are washer/dryer hookups and high (7ft+ ceilings). Must have enough kitchen space to cook and and a shower big enough that I can lather up my a** without having to open the door. Do not need bunks or obnoxious amounts of couches - it's just the two of us and the dog.
RNinRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 10:10 PM   #2

All the luxuries of home STUFFED into 320 sq ft

Might want to check out Custom Built units
You design it they build it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
It depends on your price point. Buy a bus dp my brother's has a tiled shower to die for. And so much more. Pull out kitchen in the basement with commercial ice maker. For out door cooking and entertainment.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:26 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Attachment 316417Kind of like this? I pulled the couch/hide a bed and added a second love seat. Wife & I along with 60lb service dog. Dog sleeps in front of fireplace or next to the bed. I cut the King size to a standard queen for added room around the sides.
Attached Images

Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:55 AM   #5

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Your question can only be determined by you and how your new rig will be used, will you live in it or short week trips?
Yes there is a rig out there which will meet your needs. Based on some of your top line requirements, your going to need to be shopping in the luxury RV aisle. RVís seem to be built with either the kitchen like you want or the bathroom that you like. Be prepared for some compromise here.
As you go up in head height so will the overall exterior height, some of the ones you are looking at are declaring Ď13-ď6 and hopefully thatís accurate. My Grand Design advertised Ď12-ď2 turns out that did not include the A/C in the bed room.
I only point this out because Ď13-ď6 is an average height for big trucks, next time you are on a road with trees hanging over it pay attention to how the limbs are hollowed out, now imagine everything on top of the RV is being dragged through those limbs.
I would not get hung up on a manufacturer as quality issues can be found on any of them. To bad too.
Retired Tanker Yanker 2017 F-250 Short Bed 6.7 2019 Reflection 150 273 MK, Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch,SoftStart A/C, May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few! Safe Journey.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like yo need to look at larger higher priced RV's. WE do not have any of those issues with out 40 foot 5er.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:57 AM   #7

My knee jerk answer - not everyone is cut out to stay in 350sq ft. Let face it, RV ard built for smaller guys like me because everything is smaller.

I can't see Shaq O'Neal living in the same space that I do.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Your question can only be determined by you and how your new rig will be used, will you live in it or short week trips?
Yes there is a rig out there which will meet your needs. Based on some of your top line requirements, your going to need to be shopping in the luxury RV aisle. RV’s seem to be built with either the kitchen like you want or the bathroom that you like. Be prepared for some compromise here.
As you go up in head height so will the overall exterior height, some of the ones you are looking at are declaring ‘13-“6 and hopefully that’s accurate. My Grand Design advertised ‘12-“2 turns out that did not include the A/C in the bed room.
I only point this out because ‘13-“6 is an average height for big trucks, next time you are on a road with trees hanging over it pay attention to how the limbs are hollowed out, now imagine everything on top of the RV is being dragged through those limbs.
I would not get hung up on a manufacturer as quality issues can be found on any of them. To bad too.
It’s just that I don’t need a lot of the stuff they seem centered around. I don’t need bunks. I watch TV roughly twice a year and wouldn’t even notice if it went missing. Etc. I just want a shower that doesn’t remind me of a motel 6 in Afghanistan and a kitchen with a residential fridge and enough space to make more than one dish at once.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Sounds like yo need to look at larger higher priced RV's. WE do not have any of those issues with out 40 foot 5er.

Ken
I’m already looking at the 100k+ MSRP space, and I haven’t found anything. Grand design Solitude has incredibly ****** sinks and feels very cramped. Been pointed to Vanleigh but there isn’t anywhere around here I can check one out.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Yes there is a rig out there which will meet your needs. Based on some of your top line requirements, your going to need to be shopping in the luxury RV aisle. RV’s seem to be built with either the kitchen like you want or the bathroom that you like. Be prepared for some compromise here.
As you go up in head height so will the overall exterior height, some of the ones you are looking at are declaring ‘13-“6 and hopefully that’s accurate. My Grand Design advertised ‘12-“2 turns out that did not include the A/C in the bed room.
I only point this out because ‘13-“6 is an average height for big trucks, next time you are on a road with trees hanging over it pay attention to how the limbs are hollowed out, now imagine everything on top of the RV is being dragged through those limbs.
I am looking at purchasing something in order to do travel nursing. I will likely be living in it for anywhere from 6 months to 1.5 years.

And yes, I do understand that all manufacturers have issues, but some, such as forest river, seem to have far more issues than a manufacturer like grand design, which has more issues than something like Vanleigh.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I cross-shopped the Solitude and Vilano extensively before going with Vilano. I will say, though, if headroom is a high priority for you, you'll like the Solitude over the Vilano. The Solitude has several more inches headroom on the upper deck vs the Vilano. And, to make matters worse, the Vilano has a raised shower floor which exacerbates the lack of headroom. I'm 6'4" and dust my hair on the ceiling in the Vilano when walking in the bedroom with shoes on. Showering is done with a slight hunch. Again, I went with the Vilano because the majority of my time is spent in the living/kitchen area, where the Vilano exceeds imho.

Disclaimer: I cross-shopped the 310GK and 320 GK models. Other floorplans may avert the issues described above.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNinRV View Post
Been RV hunting, and have been frustrated by several aspects: Family rooms that are centered around a TV. Small kitchen tables and workspaces. Showers where my head literally sticks out of the skylight and sinks where I have to wash my hands one at a time.

Is there a model that would actually work for me? The closest I've found is the stuff Cedar Creek is putting out but I've been scared by Forest River's bad reputation. Essentials for me are washer/dryer hookups and high (7ft+ ceilings). Must have enough kitchen space to cook and and a shower big enough that I can lather up my a** without having to open the door. Do not need bunks or obnoxious amounts of couches - it's just the two of us and the dog.

I work from my RV 14/14 and have been going through this same thing. Iím going custom either New Horizons or Spacecraftó decision point next month!

Something in the semi-custom New Horizons Summit line may do it for you. Youíll get broader input on finishes, hardware, and sinks and whatnot along with the absolute highest quality youíll find in a fifth wheel but the floor plan is mostly locked. Thatís a notch above Luxe and two notches above the VL Beacon price wise but $50-$100k less than a full custom NH Majestic. They have a build and price tool on their website to get you in the ballpark.

https://horizonsrv.com/custom-rvs/summit/

Spacecraft is quoting me $5500-$6000 per foot right now on a fifth wheel (thatís total, so if you lay out a 35í floorplan or whatever add 3í or so). That upper end is with a mini split AC and aqua hot hydronic heat...

This is what Iím sending them for floorplans right now...NH calls this a 32í, SC calls it a 35í. Either way, itíll be +/-35í tip to tail.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	316486

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	316487
Old 01-31-2021, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldpunk View Post
I cross-shopped the Solitude and Vilano extensively before going with Vilano. I will say, though, if headroom is a high priority for you, you'll like the Solitude over the Vilano. The Solitude has several more inches headroom on the upper deck vs the Vilano. And, to make matters worse, the Vilano has a raised shower floor which exacerbates the lack of headroom. I'm 6'4" and dust my hair on the ceiling in the Vilano when walking in the bedroom with shoes on. Showering is done with a slight hunch. Again, I went with the Vilano because the majority of my time is spent in the living/kitchen area, where the Vilano exceeds imho.

Disclaimer: I cross-shopped the 310GK and 320 GK models. Other floorplans may avert the issues described above.
I’m only 6’1 but just about every single RV I’ve tried had my head sticking out the sunlight. I’m looking at the 36ft range myself right now, I find anything under 30 feet to be too cramped for me. An additional issue is I still have my weightlifter’s frame with a 46 inch chest. One of the RV’s I tried had a shower where I literally didn’t fit through the door.

An issue with the vanleigh RV’s is that there simply isn’t a place I’ve found to see one around here. I’m in the Charlotte NC area.

@freqz while appealing, definitely far outside my price range and not something I could consider anytime soon.

How well do Vanleigh 5’s hold their value compared to Grand Design? Looking at the dealer prices (one near me cuts 25-30% off of MSRP right off the bat) they seem to hold their value very well 2-3 years down the road.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #14

Grand Design Owners Club
If headroom in the shower is an issue look at some midship or rear bath floor plans. Before ordering our current Solitude we looked at a lot in the 35-36’ range. Vilano & Beacon, Alpine,Montana,Big Horn,Grand Design. I actually liked the Vilano more, but the shower just wouldn’t work for me. I think Solitude also is a little taller in the bedroom. Keystone products at the time seemed to have the toilet sitting diagonally in the corner which we didn’t care for. I do think I remember a longer Montana though that had a large / tall midship bath and rear bedroom. The problem for me is that means the lower ceiling is in the front living area , which is where the most of your time is spent.
Lastly , Columbus / Palomino just came out with a flat floor fifth wheel in the 40’ range that is has 7’ ceiling height throughout best I recall.
Good luck, Charlie
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs