Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2020, 05:07 AM   #43

We had a 2013 Winnebago 5th wheel and never had a problem. Loved it. Sold it as we are going to a Class A and based on experience with 5th wheel strongly considering Winnebago MH
helopilot880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #44

Quality of build

What a nightmare you had with a Jayco. Although I agree that some 5th wheels are lower quality than others, it would be very rare to get any RV without a problem. We bought a 2020 FR Brookstone 310RL and had a couple of issues, but none were serious and all fixed by our fantastic dealer in a reasonable timeframe. The most serious problem was that the shower drain leaked. Unfortunately, it leaked on the furnace circuit board which shorted out. I believe that you should shop not only for the make/model of a RV you want, but also for a reliable and trustworthy dealer and manufacturer. We invest in these RV's to relax and enjoy life in God's green earth, not nightmares.
grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #45

Night and Day difference

My family and I have been full timing for over 4 years and currently own two 5th wheels both of which we bought new. The first is a 4250w Weekend Warrior manufactured by The RV Factory (They also make the Luxe brand 5th wheels) We had over 80 documented issues with this RV and spent almost 6 months in shops over the first year. Many of the issues were never resolved. So in all good conscience we could never recommend this company to anyone.

Our second 5th wheel is a Grand Design Solitude 380FL. We traveled for 10 months before we had our only issue with the Grand Design, a short in the bedroom/bathroom lights which was repaired under warranty. If we had started our journey with the Grand Design RV I can only imagine how many more places our family could have seen, instead of living in The RV Factory shops.
BkmDano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #46

Yes the quality control lacks for sure. And, EVERY RV will have some sort of issue that needs repair. All to often it right after purchase and the trip you had planned has to cancelled until the RV is repaired.......and they don't just bring it in......you need to schedule and appointment and deal with the "Who's responsible for the repair" the dealer or the manufacturer. Those of you who think you didn't have any issues just haven't found them yet.......so when they do show up, they are more costly. I recommend hiring an RV Inspector to check a unit before laying out the $$$$. You'd be surprised what they find, even on NEW RV's.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #47

Freightliner Owners Club
Almost every brand you buy is going to be a problem child. factories are cutting cost, short cutting protocol and quality to save production cost and time. we went the route of a boutique custom build to order 5th wheel. it has basically been totally rebuilt as well as a new roof and a complete strip and repaint. the factory spent more money to "Fix" our 5th wheel than we paid for it originally. it is a one of a kind ("truly the only one they built"). so they had to fix it as opposed to giving us a new one. my suggestion is to buy the extended warranty before the factory warranty runs out so you can protect yourself.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #48

When we purchased our northwood arctic fox 5th wheel there were only a couple very small warranty issues with the rig. If/when we buy another one, we will go back to northwood.

The dealer we used also played a part in our positive experience. After our shakedown trip we had a list of things we wanted them to do. They knocked the list out in one day. (In by 9. Out by 5).

It may have been that we got lucky. We are only one data point, and that doesn’t prove that the whole of the manufacturers offerings are problem free, but it does earn our recommendation for them as reputable, builders of quality rigs.
PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #49

Highland Ridge 314RLS

We bought a new Highland Ridge Open Range 314RLS in January 2019. So far no problems whatsoever.
Bull46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
we have a 2019 Jayco Pinnicle 36SSWS. very disappointed in Jayco. We have had numerous problems from kinked water lines .
Furnace sail switch, bathroom door having block from factory still and would not open or close. (Sliding door) then when dealer repaired it they did not put wall back together correctly and the whole wall came open. Now the slides do not work. Oh also water heater LP Gas controller went up.

So does anybody who bought your 5th wheel or Class A new. Never had a problem or just a couple of problems. I am beginning to think poor builds is not just a Jayco problem but a industry wide problem.
The only thing I ever bought with no defects was potting soil! All coaches all TTs no matter what price will have issues big and small. Just like a house! We were cinnamon resort with$2.3 million dollar coaches and repair crews arrived daily to fix a brand new coach. It takes a year to work out issues new or used. We have RVed for 44 years! If that isn’t what you think you would be willing to put up with, buy a bus ticket!
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinHawaii View Post
When we purchased our northwood arctic fox 5th wheel there were only a couple very small warranty issues with the rig. If/when we buy another one, we will go back to northwood.

The dealer we used also played a part in our positive experience. After our shakedown trip we had a list of things we wanted them to do. They knocked the list out in one day. (In by 9. Out by 5).

It may have been that we got lucky. We are only one data point, and that doesn’t prove that the whole of the manufacturers offerings are problem free, but it does earn our recommendation for them as reputable, builders of quality rigs.
Either you have posted positively several times, or I had heard this from several folks. If Artic fox had a 5th wheel toyhauler, I'd consider one.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #52

I agree 100% $$$$ over quality
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:31 PM   #53

This spring we bought our first 5W. It's a Keystone Cougar 302RLS. We love it and have been on a least 6 trips so far this Summer. The only "problem" we had was the black tank clean-out fitting under the bathroom sink was loose. I hand tightened it and no problems since. I know people knock Keystone but this is our second Keystone RV and have been happy with both of them.
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #54

I bought a new 2011 Sunnybrook who was building good trailers in 2009. But by 2011 they were so so. I did not have any issue I could not fix myself including re-wiring a control panel that was not wired quite right from the factory.

After you tow your trailer 1,000 miles you will find things wrong just about every time. Minor things that can be fixed with a screw driver, pliers, glue, or bigger screw.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:59 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Either you have posted positively several times, or I had heard this from several folks. If Artic fox had a 5th wheel toyhauler, I'd consider one.
2 years ago I was looking at selling the motorhome and going back to a 5th wheel and the AF Silver Fox was the top of the list. I've never owned one but the preponderance of the reviews from owners is overwhelmingly positive. The major complaint I found, dated design and interior. Frankly give me dated design if it's well built. IMHO the problem with current RV quality is bling over quality. Get lots of bling and no quality. IF Northwood made a a 5th wheel toy hauler I would have bought it.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #56

How many times do people log on and state "Took another trip in the RV. Nothing broke. Everything worked as expected."?

Tags
5th wheel, ems, problem, problems