Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us not argue about the definitional of a camper, After all, a Camper is not a piece of hardware,, It is a person sitting out next to his camp fire camping.

The Hardwere is not doing anyting thus it can't be an ___er.

(And if you take that seriously, Shame on you)

I've seen many 3-axle trailers of one kind or another around here where I'm currently parked.

I recall last year when they put fresh millings on the brand new sites and did not pack ;'em down well enough...

A 3-axle Voltage... Slowly sinking into the asphault shavings.

I just.. Drove on past cause there was NOTHING I could for 'em.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I recall last year when they put fresh millings on the brand new sites and did not pack ;'em down well enough...

A 3-axle Voltage... Slowly sinking into the asphault shavings.

I just.. Drove on past cause there was NOTHING I could for 'em.
Since the OP's topic has been answered and we're off on bunny trails.....

We stopped at a brand new RV park on a trip back from Tennessee on a hot summer day. The host led us to a new, freshly asphalt paved campsite. Unfortunately, they did not compact the soil under the asphalt. As I tried to lower the landing legs to unhitch our 16K GVWR 5th wheel, I watched two (2) of the Lego-type levelers disappear into the asphalt. Before I could get the landing legs back up and get in the truck to pull out, the sidewalls of the 5th wheel's tires were halfway into the asphalt. Needless to say, we didn't stay there!! I'm sure the campground host was as unhappy with the condition we left his site as we were.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Someone forgot to tell these guys:

Rusty
Rusty;
That's either 994F or G Caterpillar wheel loader built in Aurora IL and shipped via Keen trucking company. Keen had the trailers built special for hauling the 994's and the other heavy equipment that Cat sells. You ought to see them try to maneuver this load in the small towns around Aurora IL.

Jim W.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Basically all the big toy haulers and lots of custom units too. Who told you that?
A friend of mine that owns two RV dealerships in Florida. He said it's only the three axle Camping Trailers that is not going to be made anymore because the center wheel wears out real fast which makes it dangerous.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
A friend of mine that owns two RV dealerships in Florida. He said it's only the three axle Camping Trailers that is not going to be made anymore because the center wheel wears out real fast which makes it dangerous.
Let me take a wild guess here.

Your friend does not sell three axle trailers.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #20

Does he sell or actually service too? Does he do axle alignments?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Let me take a wild guess here.

Your friend does not sell three axle trailers.
He doesn't sell three axle trailers because of problem.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
If your friend chooses not to sell them, that's certainly his choice, but that's a long stretch from triple-axle trailers being illegal as stated in the thread title. No, they're not illegal.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny, we had a 3 axle Avion and never an issue with the tires...front rear or center. It is amazing at the amount of magical thinking that people come up with.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
He doesn't sell three axle trailers because of problem.
Thought so.

I not accusing you friend of anything and mean no disrespect. Any person that owns two dealerships has to be pretty savvy. It could be that he is forecastingf the future of tri axles. Who knows?

My life experience has shown that dealer that sells "A" will tell you that "B" in not as good, he doesn't sell them, and have a good sounding reason for it.

Dealer that sells "B" will tell you that "A" is not as good.

I would think that if trailers are going to drop third axles, we would have heard about it on this, and other very active RV forums. The problem of tire wear he mentions also has never show up on the forums.

I often read about happenings here BEFORE it shows up on HLN News!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #25

I've been looking for three axle camping trailers and find very little for some reason. What is the draw back for 40 foot three axle trailer?

Thanks all of you for the information.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #26

Quote:
I've been looking for three axle camping trailers and find very little for some reason. What is the draw back for 40 foot three axle trailer?

Thanks all of you for the information.
IMO I would not have one. It's 2 more wheels causing drag and usually the axles are inferior. Give me 7k or 8k tandums.
Newmar went with duals. Which again I would not have.

Triaxles are great for toyhaulers due to rear loading and better pin weight consistency. But only use mostly 6k axles. Even some get away with 5k axles.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #27

Three axles are used on heavier trailers to properly carry the load, and to provide additional braking capability. They also may/must be used in some cases to allow for a properly rated tire. Tires only go up to a certain load carrying capacity. While you "could" provide an axle that would carry almost any load, finding a tire that will also carry that load may be impossible or prohibitively expensive.

With lighter trailers there is no real reason to have triple axles, unless you feel that the braking improvement is required.

People often discuss how triple axles "ruin tires" because of scrubbing. While a triple WILL scrub more, rational turning strategies reduce this to the extent that it is not an issue, in practice. You are more likely to replace tires because they age out vs. get worn out - even with a triple axle trailer - PROVIDED that you do not constantly spin the trailer around the axles.

Some manufacturers, a good example being DRV, strive to keep to 2 axles when possible. So you see very heavy axles with high-ply tires on them. Typically at least "H" rated tires. This strategy is acceptable if you have decent tires being provided. It does reduce cost for the manufacturer, since they use less rubber, brakes and axles. For the consumer it has obvious maintenance benefits. The downside for the consumer is less braking, and possibly a more harsh ride for the trailer/contents depending on the suspension used.

For heavy coaches - over 18K lbs - triples are almost always used. Mainly for the benefits described above: better braking, better ride, more weight carrying capacity, better choice of rubber, better choice of axles.

There are times when triples are the appropriate choice. To say they should "never" be used is a statement that ignores the facts of heavier trailers.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #28

This friend told me instead of three axles companies are coming out with dual wheels on camping trailers.

Tags
camping