Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #1

Are Winnebago 5th wheels equal quality to others?

Starting the process of finding our next camper with a little more space then our 26' Cougar. For purchase in March/April

I had never seen a Winnebago 5th wheel before and now my wife has found 2 of the same model (2900RK) that she wants to add to our list of possibles.

We know so little about them since we have never seen one in the campgrounds around here. I thought I would ask here.

Are they equal to the Forest rivers, cougars and the like? At 9500lbs dry (11540 GVWR) it seems kinda heavy for only a 32' camper.
For reference our other campers currently on the list are a jayco 29', a 32' Rockwood lite and a Reflection 31' Half ton.

Thanks folks
Scoob
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 02:44 AM   #2

I used to think highly of Winnebago and felt they were a bit better than other manufacturers but my mindset is changing. I just looked at a Flagstaff 5th wheel and was mildly impressed. The Flagstaff had features that Winnebago did not have, like the Solid Step entry/exit.

Today I will look at Rockwood.

I have not looked at a Cougar yet but it is on my list.

Oh, one feature I want is a PVC membrane roof.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

I looked at the Rockwood today. It was nothing special but nothing bad either.

I also looked at Coachman Brookstone 5th wheels which were more impressive than the Rockwood.

Neither had a PVC membrane roof but Rockwood had a laminated roof what ever that is?
Old 09-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

Oh, I will add I did talk to a Winnebago Rep when I was hot after a Winnebago travel trailer. They were one of the few trailers that use a BAL frame and can be optioned with a leveling system.

I was looking at a Mini Plus 27 RBDS at the time.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

I’m new to this website. Thought I’d chime in with my 2cents worth. We purchased a 2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2405RG 5th wheel. We previously had a 2018 2106FBS TT. Stepping up to the 5er is a huge difference for us. We feel we have so much more room. After several trips I found the bottom of our cabinet above the sink separating from the frame/support on the inside of the cabinet. But I digress, I’m interested in your conversation with the Winnebago folks concerning the auto levelers. I called Winnebago and they would tell me if my coach would handle a leveling system. They advised I contact the frame manufacturer. Which I did, however I have received no reply. The dealer said our frame was too weak for a leveling system. Curious of your thoughts or insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF6CB60B-12C2-43F3-ADFF-CF50CF19A6A5.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	261714   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F0BBFC1-7D0A-428F-9B3E-75A83C6A0B07.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	261715  

kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I don't know what's happened to Winnebago in the last few years. They can't seem to find their way. Always a huge class A manufacturer, the line-up has dwindled and is very cheap looking. They used to have a variety and a nice product.
They introduced the Destination fiver a few years ago and that tanked.
They bought Grand Design and now premium and class A manufacturer Newmar.
Looks to like the Winnebago name is going to be just an umbrella with other manufacturers under it.
Time will tell but I certainly don't think they are turning out anything like they used to.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

I consider myself “new” to the RV scene. My parents full timed for nearly 20 years in a Travel Supreme 40’ 5th. I always thought Winnebago was considered “top of the line”. I still like ours but comparing it to our first TT, this unit has issues.
Nothing insurmountable I’m sure and I’m aware any coach from any manufacturer may have issues.
kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

Well kitsonkt

Your non quality is very typical
Now days
In all reality we all get what we pay for.
Manufacturers build for a pricepoint market.
Many people buy for the amount of the payment.

If you take your new purcase back to the dealer for repairs. Even waranty work.
With the frame spec's that support your house.
See what your selling dealer says ???

Then try to trade it for a mid level 5ver.
And see what he offers you ???

You may be smart to do that because in
3 to 5 years you wont find a dealer that will even trade you at all. For the one you own now.

The long term sales people I have visited
Say many manufacture 's are
Building throw away rvs
Like some of the appliance companies.

Up untill 5 to 10 years ago we used trouble free appliance's for 20 plus years.

Now the last washer dryer we purchased
, Kenmore 4 years ago isnt worth fixing.
THE SELLING DEALER WOULD NOT FIX AND NO INDEPENDENT WOULD COME FIX, FOR ANY AMOUNT.
So we purchased new.

We raised 4 children using our Maytages
W.D. purchased in 76.
Till we sold the home in 2002.
The new owners are still using the set trouble free.
We have 2 high end refrigerators that we purchased 20, and 26 years ago. Trouble free.

We are known as the throwaway society
To manufacturers and they have trained us to think that way.

Now study the Labor force ???
Available today???
And the ramifications of building Half of everything QUALITY and it lasting the CONSUMER
4 to 6 times longer.???
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

Winnebego's an old, established company built with investment and profitability. But the rest of the RV industry has been developed out of the ashes of bankruptcies going back to 2008-2010. Companies like Berkshire-Hathaway have built Forest River taking over factories and designs purchased at 10% of their original cost.

Grand Design came into business around 2013-14 as a completely new business with new designs, however their owners were old line RV guys. They knew which dealerships were good, and they chose to do business with them. They were very customer service oriented, and Grand Design sales grew incredibly fast. They sold out to Winnebego, a fine company, for more money than they could refuse.

Look at the Grand Design fifth wheels. They have lightweight models that would fit your needs. I've been very satisfied with my 2015 Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #10

If the highest quality in a new 5ver is mid line then winnebago may suit you. Lower Mid i would say at best. Id take a used higher end unit for the same money and have something built to last. Unless your into high 5 lower 6 figures. You wont find much in quality. Even thr Artic Fox 5vers are high 80's low 90's last i knew. Built great but bling inside they dont. Which side are you on. Do you want bling or do you want a well built well insulated structure. Me i want insulation, good windows etc. Interior i can change something a lil if not like it.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
....Look at the Grand Design fifth wheels. They have lightweight models that would fit your needs. I've been very satisfied with my 2015 Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel.
GD is no better then FR or Thor at this stage. The last 2-3 years(about the time they sold out), the build quality dropped significantly. More alarmingly is their customer service which is what they built their prior reputation on became spotty. Some customers were and are still treated like royalty and others are shunned like a red headed step-child. Guess it all depends on the temperament of the CSR when a customer calls in. Lots of horror stories abound. The one thing that hasn’t changed however is the premium prices being demanded over a similar unit from the competition.

Today’s GD units, in my opinion are no better or worse then anything similar you’d find on a competitor’s sales lot.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnow View Post
GD is no better then FR or Thor at this stage. The last 2-3 years(about the time they sold out), the build quality dropped significantly. More alarmingly is their customer service which is what they built their prior reputation on became spotty. Some customers were and are still treated like royalty and others are shunned like a red headed step-child. Guess it all depends on the temperament of the CSR when a customer calls in. Lots of horror stories abound. The one thing that hasn’t changed however is the premium prices being demanded over a similar unit from the competition.

Today’s GD units, in my opinion are no better or worse then anything similar you’d find on a competitor’s sales lot.
x2, GD's IMO are just a re-badged Keystones.

Right now no MFG has set themselves apart from the rest in terms of quality.
Just because an RV has higher grade appliances, fixtures etc doesn't mean they were installed any better.

I've always said you can have two of the same models sitting side by side on a dealers lot and one will have more issues than the other.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
es.

Right now no MFG has set themselves apart from the rest in terms of quality.

Correct.

Almost all of the individual components are made by the same companies. And the work-force is mostly the same.

I am definitely not an AF cheerleader. They do have one substantive difference: their frames are made in-house to stronger specifications than many towables.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #14

WE bought a new 2016 Winnebago Destination 36RL in August of 2017. The second trip out with it, one bracket holding the roller blind up over the dinette broke. The dealer replaced it under warranty and installed a third bracket in the center. The crown molding on the slideout over the fridge came loose, I added a few screws to it and all is okay now.

A shout out to Lippert Industries:

I just replaced a broken leaf spring on the trailer which is a Lippert product along with the axles. The trailer is out of warranty, but my wife contacted Lippert, and they said they would goodwill the parts but not cover any of the labor. Way to go Lippert!

These are the only problems that we've had with this Winnebago. The quality to us is a whole lot better than the previous 2015 5th wheel that we had owned.
LadyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, winnebago, quality