Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Smile Augusta Luxe Significant Changes

I contacted Augusta to get more information about the Luxe line. I was told that effective immediately, all production will be converted to "wide body" construction (width growing from 98" to 101") as well as numerous other changes.

Attached is what was sent to me.

I'm a novice with all this. I hope some of you will explain if the width increase is a huge benefit! They did say the change will add about 300 to 400 more pounds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Luxe Wide Body Changes.pdf (688.3 KB, 902 views)
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Luxe Manual

Augusta also sent me some additional information on the construction and materials used. I've attached it.

I think there are savings to be had on the "old narrow body" version sitting on dealer lots.

Does anyone find it puzzling they had a full 2015 model year, a handful of 2016 units recently manufactured using the old specs, and then now to roll out 2017 models early as "wide bodies"? I guess they are listening to customer comments.

EDIT: I'm not able to attach the materials. Not sure why, maybe it's too large
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

I haven't seen one in person, but they look rather impressive on their website. Too bad my pockets aren't deep enough for them.
Could it be they're just trying to draw attention with mid year model changes?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

The changes look good. I would definitely like to see one. I agree with it looks like they are listening to the customers. Hope they don't jack the price up.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
PPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
Augusta also sent me some additional information on the construction and materials used. I've attached it.

I think there are savings to be had on the "old narrow body" version sitting on dealer lots.

Does anyone find it puzzling they had a full 2015 model year, a handful of 2016 units recently manufactured using the old specs, and then now to roll out 2017 models early as "wide bodies"? I guess they are listening to customer comments.

EDIT: I'm not able to attach the materials. Not sure why, maybe it's too large
They are absolutely listening, and how wonderful is that! We've been taking a close looked, toured the factor, and have been in communication with their lead sales manager. I cannot get over how responsive they've been to our suggestions. They're not a customer builder, but are open and willing to consider individual request. This is an exciting company and should be watched. I'm very much looking forward to seeing their display at Hershey.
PPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
PPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
I contacted Augusta to get more information about the Luxe line. I was told that effective immediately, all production will be converted to "wide body" construction (width growing from 98" to 101") as well as numerous other changes.

Attached is what was sent to me.

I'm a novice with all this. I hope some of you will explain if the width increase is a huge benefit! They did say the change will add about 300 to 400 more pounds.
I think it will be a huge benefit. The ones we saw at the factory were the 98" version. With 3 1/4" walls, which is beneficial from a structural/insulation standpoint, the units seemed a little narrow to me. Not claustrophobically so, but I noticed it. And the overhead cabinets didn't seem as deep. We currently have a Redwood and one of its attributes is the amount of storage. However, something about the thickness of the Luxe's walls, which I believe is about an inch thicker than the Redwood's (don't hold me to that), gave me a greater sense of security. I was willing to make the trade off. However, with the new width of the Luxe, I may not have to.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

Ditto PPG,

I've also been in touch with the Sale Manager about possible mods and was assured they would welcome the opportunity to work with us. Unfortunately we live in the CT and the nearest dealer is in Indiana so this year we will see them in Hershey and next year will tour the factory and try to finalize what we want.

My wife, DW I believe is the correct term, and I are retiring next year and have chosen to go with a Luxe 39FB. We like the high tech vibe we get from Augusta and their style. One thing that concerns me is that it will be a heavy 5er. Somewhere around 20-21K fully loaded.
TJ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ911 View Post
Ditto PPG,

I've also been in touch with the Sale Manager about possible mods and was assured they would welcome the opportunity to work with us. Unfortunately we live in the CT and the nearest dealer is in Indiana so this year we will see them in Hershey and next year will tour the factory and try to finalize what we want.

My wife, DW I believe is the correct term, and I are retiring next year and have chosen to go with a Luxe 39FB. We like the high tech vibe we get from Augusta and their style. One thing that concerns me is that it will be a heavy 5er. Somewhere around 20-21K fully loaded.

The Luxe line intrigues me as well. I'm looking forward to people making some purchases and then providing their feedback. Having just bought our 2016 DRV we aren't in the market for anything, but it would be nice to see another company that makes a decent product become successful.

DW is a common acronym for "dear wife" in the RV world. Also, dishwasher. I had to do an acronym search to become familiar with all the strange combinations of letters RV'ers have come up with. Anyway, don't let the weight be a concern. This is a good thing. Look at a 39' trailer that weighs 12,000 pounds then look at a higher-end 39' that weighs 21,000 and the differences will be quite noticeable. Get yourself a nice diesel dually with 4.10's and forget about it.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #9

It is no fun towing 21k with a 1 ton dually. They have plenty of power, just not enough bulk coming down long hills and, God forbid, an accident happens.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #10

Where is this "...Hershey..." that you all are talking? Pennsylvania or Nebraska? I'm totally blank here.

I might not have questioned this early this month, but on the 9th, I went through Nebraska on I-80, and found Hershey. Quite by accident I must add.

TIA
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
Where is this "...Hershey..." that you all are talking? Pennsylvania or Nebraska? I'm totally blank here.

I might not have questioned this early this month, but on the 9th, I went through Nebraska on I-80, and found Hershey. Quite by accident I must add.

TIA
Hershey (PA) RV Show
Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I know that the Luxe has an I-beam frame. Is it a Lippert frame or manufactured in-house?
Old 09-11-2015, 03:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I know that the Luxe has an I-beam frame. Is it a Lippert frame or manufactured in-house?
I asked that when I went to see them at the factory and was told yes it is a Lippert frame but built to Augusta's specs, not sure if that helps you but the answer I got.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:44 AM   #14
PPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
As we were told, everyone pretty much uses Lippert as "it's the only game in town." This is true even though it may be called something else (i.e. Redwood uses a Falcon Industries frame. Falcon = Lippert)

Yes, Luxe uses Lippert; however, as mentioned, the frame is built to Luxe's specifications which includes cross beams at every 12" instead of the standard 18", and they stiffen the frame with an additional 2" steel tube welded underneath the I-beam. Also, they double the outriggers under the slides.