Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Auto Level newbie question.

I have a question on using Lippert's Ground Control 3 on my new Cougar 5th wheel.

It's a 4 point system.

I have been using my trusted 2x8s for the last many years to level my Sabre 5th wheel from left to right. Looking at my pin box installed LevelMaster, I would know if I needed a few inches on the left for example. I would then move up or down the front landing gear to level back to front. Many sites are not level left to right...

Enter my new system. Ground Control, on my new Cougar.

Shall I still use my pieces of wood to level LH to RH, and then use Ground Control auto level button?

Would I put lots of stress on the system by not using those pieces of wood. Should I try level it a bit before using the Auto Level function?

I'm worried about breaking it, having never used such a system.
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I have a 6 point system and .
never bother to level from side to side with anything under my wheels. Not sure of your 4 point system, but I don't think I'd bother to carry or use anything to use under the wheels.

I have learned to use some blocks under the jacks so the leveling pistons don't come down so far; it reduces the motion a good bit.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
I had 4 point electric and now 6 point hydraulic. If the spot is off very much side to side I still use blocks under the tires to get within about one degree. I do so cause I prefer not to have the tires off the ground.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #4

I still check with a level before unhooking so I do not get an out of stroke message, some sites look level but are not.
If needed I have the Anderson drive on levelers from my old 5er and will bring it close to level then start the auto level.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #5

We are looking at 5ers that have the 6 point leveling system. I have seen comments on other threads that they use blocks or try to manual level before using their auto level. Why? I have a class A right now and just use the auto level (lippert system) and haven’t had any problems. I have never had a 5er, is leveling them really any different then leveling a MH?
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #6

I'm guessing most of us don't like wheels off the ground. I still try to pick a fairly level site from the start, but I don't try to level prior to auto-leveling. I allow the six point hydraulic system to do it's job and then enjoy camping. If the site is too off-level for the system, the system will tell you.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #7

I hit Auto Level and forget it. I do try to find a fairly level spot to park first, but that is it
Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #8

My opinion is that why have an auto level if you have to manual level first. Now that I have said that let me expand. I have found that if I can see that the site if off level enough that a wheel will come off the ground I use my little shovel and dig a shallow hole on the other side then drop those tires into the hole before leveling. Same as using the boards but you don't need to carry the boards. I agree that I would not leave the tires off the ground.

I have a Big foot not a lipert so I don't really know how robust that system is.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #9

we use some blocks under our 6 point leveling system for two reasons:
- reduces the travel of the piston. we have had a couple of sites where one piston did not reach the ground.
- a couple of parks we have been to required something under the pads in order to not dig into the asphalt.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

When on an unlevel site, I place pads under the low point legs. I don't worry about the wheels being off the ground.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #11

If a tire ends up off the ground, we raise it a little more and slip a board under it, then relevel. We also put boards under the pads. Just seems to lessen movement.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #12

It's a little alarming the first time you see your wheels completely off the ground. I've done it once. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that the jacks are lifting pretty much the same amount of weight weather it's just un-weighting the wheels or totally lifting them up. The only additional weight of lifting the wheels completely off the ground is the weight of the wheels. Maybe partial axel weight that would have been resting on the tires while still on the ground.

When you think about the overall weight of the 5er you're leveling, the difference with or without the wheels on the ground is probably statistically insignificant.

However, Lippert's owners manual states that "Note: Prior to unhitching from the tow vehicle, ensure the trailer is parked on a level surface and chock the
tires of the trailer."

So that would mean following the instructions to the letter, you should run it up on some blocks to get close to level first.

I've run it off the ground once. I probably would avoid it in the future not because I'm afraid that it's dangerous, but just that if something happened, I'd want to be able to say I followed the instructions.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
If a tire ends up off the ground, we raise it a little more and slip a board under it, then relevel. We also put boards under the pads. Just seems to lessen movement.
How did I not think of this?!?!

This is the answer.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:03 AM   #14

I too just try and find the most level site, when my unit is off the ground wheels and all , it ends up too shaky for comfort. The steps end up being too high as well. Just hit the auto level button after disconnecting and you're done.

Tags