Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #1

Auto-slider fifth-wheel wheel hitch

I would like information about auto sliding
fifth wheel hitch. I’m pulling a DRV that
weighs about 20,000 and has about
4,800 on the tongue.
In your opinion which are the best and
easiest to use.

Oklahoma RV
Oklahoma RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #2

Depends on what your tow rig is.....with my setup, no problems other then when you hook up, you need to be almost straight on to the hitch.....only lube that's required is WD-40 on the rails and the center rubbing block...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

I also have a Pullrite. A bit of a pain to hook up, as you have to be straight and level, but the only way to tow with a shortbed PU.

Funny story: When you get the hitch, it must come with a 'capture plate,' which bolts onto your pinbox. This forces the hitch to slide as you maneuver, preventing the trailer from pivoting on its kingpin.

Now here's the 'funny' part: I had my trailer in for service and the shop had to move it. They didn't have a Pullrite, so they took off my capture plate. Then they forgot/neglected to put it back on. Not noticing, I hooked up and felt something funny in the way it pulled out of the shop's driveway. Then it started bucking like a wild bronco. So I jumped out and saw that the hitch head had rotated 90 degrees to the trailer. A quick phone call and the shop manager came out, took one look and said "they forgot the capture plate!" And there it was lying inside the pass through storage compartment. Five minutes later we were on the way.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #4

That'll do it!.....the set screw that pins the capture plate will mark the pin when tightened, so I barely drilled the pin to give the set screw a little more bite....and you'd need to know which pin box you have, although you can just measure the width from outside to outside.....to get the proper capture plate...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 PM   #5

I read these forums for years and people rave about the Pullrite auto-slider. Do you have a short bed dually?
Old 08-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

Seeing your in oklahoma judging by screen name. There is a Trailer Saver air ride with the slider on CL for dirt cheap. Less then half what it was new. That hitch and slider is the answer your looking for. Youll have to make sure it will hold your pin weight. i know the TSLB will as i have one. Its not a slider. But the one on CL has the slider with it. no i am not affiliated with the seller. Nor am i the seller.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #7

I am using a Demco Glide Auto Slider hitch. I can hook-up about 5 to 10 deg's off of centerline. There is no capture plate required with most pin boxes. The only time a capture plate is required is if your pin box is a MORRYDE style pin box. They offer a 21K hitch.

This is why I picked the Demco Glide hitch because there was one last thing to purchase such as a capture plate. I have had great experience towing with this hitch with my pin box which is a TRAILAIR pin box.

Just another choice for you to look at.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/...d-ford-trucks/

Get that hitch or one rated for plus the slide assembly an your hitch search is solved. Nothing like the air ride hitches. Worth there weight in gold. All solid moubt hitches in my opinion are obsolete.

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/...pickup-trucks/
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #9

Fifthwheel Slider hitch

Short bed dually is my tow rig.
I’ll check into all those.
I have a manual slider now and want to
automate.
I’ll check Craigslist in Okla for the Trailer Saver
slider.
Oklahoma RV
Oklahoma RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #10

Trailersaver is a manual hitch.

Demco has great reviews, I only have experience with the Pullrite. Of the two, I would choose for YOUR trailer the Pullrite as it has a 24k/6000 lb pin weight rated hitch. Demco only goes up to 21k.

They have a puck model 24k for the Ram-which is the most common short bed dually if not the only. As I have done the old “park, yank, creep, and slam” with manual sliders I completely understand why you want to switch. With the Pullrite you will be driving like a long bed without a care in the world about tight turns
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #11

slider hitch

16 years on my Superglide. Still works great.

Don't listen to the negative comments about hitch angle. I haven't experienced that problem so far.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide