Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #15

To all you doubters of my numbers. My trailer is a Carriage Domani. It came stock with two 7,000# Dexter Torflex axles, 12" hubs and 8 lug wheels. The trailer's net weight is 9,000# and it tows at 10,000#. I have 8,200# on the axles and 1,800# on the pin. It has load range E tires with a total capacity of 14,080#. The trailer has 50mm Nev-R-Lube bearings, the same ones they use on 8,000# axles. It is towed with a 1 ton dually, 4,545# payload and 21,000# gross combined.

Please tread lightly when doubting my honesty or math ability.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #16

Rare trailer, maybe they were made so good, they had to quit mfg them? Have only seen 2-3 Domani fivers, no trailers.
And, NOT doubting your numbers-- what is the 'net' weight--same as 'dry' weight? What is GVWR?
Nice sounding unit. Seem to remember they were somewhat 'modernistic' in the interior design?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

My 28' 5th wheel has two 5200 lbs axles under it. Dry UVW 7185 lbs. GVWR 11,500 lbs. CCC 4315 lbs. All according to the factory weight sticker on the 5er door.
I also run E rated tires. I like the fact that I can load anything I want in it and not worry about taxing the frame or suspension.
My pet peave is CCC. I see so many trailers with real low CCC.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #18

Again factor in pin weight... Our Cougar has 4400lb axles,,, ready to roll they weigh 3400/3440... No prob..... Just as mentioned remember TIRES..... Most manufacturers will put on the cheapest they can get... Many threads on tires here.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
My 28' 5th wheel has two 5200 lbs axles under it. Dry UVW 7185 lbs. GVWR 11,500 lbs. CCC 4315 lbs. All according to the factory weight sticker on the 5er door.
I also run E rated tires. I like the fact that I can load anything I want in it and not worry about taxing the frame or suspension.
My pet peave is CCC. I see so many trailers with real low CCC.
Wow.... Those are nice axles under a shorter 5vr !!! NICE !!!! I LOVE over doing things.... No probs....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Rare trailer, maybe they were made so good, they had to quit mfg them? Have only seen 2-3 Domani fivers, no trailers.
And, NOT doubting your numbers-- what is the 'net' weight--same as 'dry' weight? What is GVWR?
Nice sounding unit. Seem to remember they were somewhat 'modernistic' in the interior design?
The Domani might have made business sense in 2007 when they started to manufacture them but certainly not in 2009 after the meltdown. Who wants to pay 80-100 grand for a 31 ft. fiver? I wouldn't.

The Domani didn't use an in house made Carriage box frame like other products. Instead, they used an engineered Norco frame put together with huck fasteners and bolts. My guess is the flange mounted Torflex axles are structural frame cross members. High end components were specified throughout as were the axles. The cargo carrying capacity is only 2,000# despite the axles, probably a frame limitation. The platform is rock solid and fits my needs as my trips are short in duration and I am 1,000# under GVWR.

I'll stick with my post about peace of mind towing under capacity. I don't worry about my running gear and have never had a fail.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Wow.... Those are nice axles under a shorter 5vr !!! NICE !!!! I LOVE over doing things.... No probs....
Monkey
I'm a big fan of Northwood MFG and Outdoors RV products. Helps to live in the same state too. They might be a little short on bling but the underpinnings are rock solid.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
To all you doubters of my numbers. My trailer is a Carriage Domani. It came stock with two 7,000# Dexter Torflex axles, 12" hubs and 8 lug wheels. The trailer's net weight is 9,000# and it tows at 10,000#. I have 8,200# on the axles and 1,800# on the pin. It has load range E tires with a total capacity of 14,080#. The trailer has 50mm Nev-R-Lube bearings, the same ones they use on 8,000# axles. It is towed with a 1 ton dually, 4,545# payload and 21,000# gross combined.

Please tread lightly when doubting my honesty or math ability.
I certainly didn't doubt your number, your math or anything about your honesty nor do I think anyone else did.

Simply stated that for YOU the numbers work

So don't go reading into my post and issuing warnings about treading lightly

For ME I am comfortable towing at the ratings
I also have 7K axles/12" brakes/8 lug wheels with 3750# rated tires
5vrs GVWR is 14,373# (tow at 13,873# scaled weight)
3090# pin which puts me AT Trucks RAWR and under tire ratings.

FTd for 7 yrs moving weekly..12 trips all over USA
Excellently matched truck/trailer. Great towing combo

Like I said what works for YOU is what works for YOU
And towing at ratings works for me........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I saw a Carriage Domani DF300 at a Yuma, AZ RV show right after it's 2008 production date. I remember it well because it had passenger tires, size 285/50/20 as Original Equipment. I often write about them in my tire posts, from the notes I took about the unit. I have it's GVWR as 11,500# and length at 30'11". Swanky!
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #24

Thanks folks for providing some peace of mind. Although I understand manufacturer's cost/profit constraints you would think the cost for a little more margin there wouldn't that be prohibitive. I would always rather err on the side of caution and willing to pay some more for actual quality.
clarkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkow View Post
Thanks folks for providing some peace of mind. Although I understand manufacturer's cost/profit constraints you would think the cost for a little more margin there wouldn't that be prohibitive. I would always rather err on the side of caution and willing to pay some more for actual quality.

I'm not sure how speccing oversized axles is related to "quality"

an Engineers job is to provide for the correct solution at the minimum cost.
Consumers will always buy at minimum cost.

If the axles are appropriate to the size of the load, they are the correct axle, and the engineer has done his job properly. The engineer has NOT done his job if he specs axles that are larger than necessary, or over spec - as you are now dealing with handling extra mass from a suspension and tuning point of view and extra cost....for no benefit.
The axles are underrated anyway, the safety margin is built in.
These things are designed to run at max load. If its under the max load the axle, run it! its fine.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #26

Quote:
You are 100% in asking about weights.

Published weights on trailer are guesstimates. Of these pin weight has the largest variance. Pin weight depends on how the design. Most 5th have the gear stored up front....an empty trailer with a 2000lb pin can be 3,500lbs once water propane, generator and gear is on board.

Each trailer has weight sticker that inside the trailer "somewhere"

Some industries count nickles and dimes. The RV industry counts pennies. There is no hidden values. The only way to get durability is to pay more.

Trailer made today are not as durable as the ones made 5 or 8 years ago .

A little more margin on the suspension is a good thing but too much the springs will be too hard which will wreck the trailer.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackroads View Post
You are 100% in asking about weights.

Published weights on trailer are guesstimates. (That is debatable, because the trailer manufacturer is no longer required to physically weigh each unit. The unit computer design accounts for it's total weight). Of these(,) pin weight has the largest variance. (Hitch/pin weights are a required recommendation used to insure a method that insures the GVWR is not exceeded. Such manufacturer's recommendations are within the safety percentages recommended by the industry).Pin weight depends on how the design. Most 5th have the gear stored up front....an empty trailer with a 2000lb pin can be 3,500lbs once water propane, generator and gear is on board. (Since 2007 full propane tanks are part of the trailer's UVW as delivered - when applicable). All cargo weight and vehicle balancing situations are the responsibility of the vehicle owner.

Each trailer has weight sticker that inside the trailer "somewhere"

Some industries count nickles and dimes. The RV industry counts pennies. There is no hidden values. The only way to get durability is to pay more.

Trailer made today are not as durable as the ones made 5 or 8 years ago .

A little more margin on the suspension is a good thing but too much the springs will be too hard which will wreck the trailer.
FMVSS standards require the vehicle manufacturer to build the trailer to specifications that will meet or exceed all minimum safety standards. It is the trailer owner's responsibility not to exceed those standards.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #28

Quote:

I don’t think you’ll get answers to the questions you posed with your inquiry. A lot of the answers you seek can be found in the following links. Within them are the answers and/or links to other numbered references with a continuation of the answers.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...sec571-120.xml

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...l6-part567.xml