Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #1

Axle Failures

Or more precisely spring failures. Exact failure mode not specified, but is it me or am I reading a LOT of these lately? I mean I can fix cabinets, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and I'll mess with a slide. But if the wheels (axles) come off on the road you really have to ask yourself what the heck is going on here.....
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

I had this happen to me about 2 months ago now on a 2016 toy hauler. It gets lots of on and "off road" use.

I had to fix it on the road. Luckily I was in a rest area when I noticed there was a problem so I was in a safe (not the side of the highway) location.

While not "easy" it is also not that hard to fix. I had all of the tools I needed in my tool box other than jack stands to support the axle(s).

It took me less than 30 min to take everything apart and be ready to install a new spring. Waited from Saturday afternoon until Monday morning for a shop to be open for a new spring. Run to town, get spring and a couple misc items like the jack stands took about 3 hours. Putting it all back together took about an hour.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:29 AM   #3

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Or more precisely spring failures. Exact failure mode not specified, but is it me or am I reading a LOT of these lately? I mean I can fix cabinets, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and I'll mess with a slide. But if the wheels (axles) come off on the road you really have to ask yourself what the heck is going on here.....
My thoughts are two fold; there has been a ramp up of folks getting into these towable unit’s therefore an increase in frequency of failures. The other is, I am not convinced these mass produced towables where meant to be used weeks and months on end. They seem to hold up pretty well when used two weeks out of the year and a few weekends.

Sounds like your handy with fixing things and in the market for a Fiver. The spring and axels are just nuts and bolts and can be repaired with an average stocked tool box that includes a good Tourqe Wrench, say around a 120 lb., a couple of bottle jacks with some wood blocking and jack stands would be a plus.

If you will be one that actually uses your new Fiver look into some of the aftermarket upgrades that fit your budget and intended usage.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:43 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
We broke the weld on a rear spring hangar on our tri-axle toy hauler after having it for almost 3 years.
We were full timing in it for over a year and in the Elkhart County Fairgrounds and making a turn and heard a loud pop. There went a weld. Mobile welder and $350 later and we could get to the repair shop we were heading to for repairs.
But as far as hearing more about these issues, like mentioned more people now getting rigs. Plus now more people get on social media and put everything out there for everybody else to see and read.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #5

After 3 spring broke I say IS is the way to go.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
I am not convinced these mass produced towables where meant to be used weeks and months on end. They seem to hold up pretty well when used two weeks out of the year and a few weekends.

So should the manufacturer limit the mileage? Drive more than X miles and the wheels may come off? Big sticker? "THIS RV IS LIMITED TO 1500 MILES A YEAR" You know that's not realistic.

I know there's more people rolling in these, and I know they are on social media reporting issues. But welded spring hangers coming off is unacceptable, even ONCE. Period. What would you say if the wheels fell off your truck? Park it in the driveway that wouldn't have happened?

I've noticed that some brands now install the "V" shaped bracing in the hangers. It's not rocket surgery. So they KNOW it's poor design, they are just cutting corners.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 10-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buc1908 View Post
After 3 spring broke I say IS is the way to go.
I assume it doesn't use the flimsy "U" brackets on the frame.

Problem I have with all this is that when it happens at 60mph the trailer gets a mind of it's own. I've read several stories in the last few days of people going into walls and guard rails. Over a bad weld? Crappy spring steel?

What are we doing here?
Old 10-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #8

I’ve seen a bunch of failures of Jayco fifth wheel suspensions lately on the Facebook group. I know Rockwood uses a torsion axle on their fifth wheels and I haven’t heard of any failures on those.

I haven’t upgraded to a fifth wheel yet but I have my eye on a Rockwood and a Jayco model. I have a Rockwood Geo Pro now that is pretty good quality so I’m leaning that way but Momma likes the Jayco so you know how that goes! Time will tell but the Jayco failures are concerning to say the least.
C Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #9

Of course the common denominator in all this is LCI.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best thing you can do for any trailer is the Mor/Ryde IS suspension. No more worry about cheap spring suspension spring hangers and springs.

The trailers and Lippert are building cheaper and cheaper, and the roads are getting rougher.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:

Problem I have with all this is that when it happens at 60mph the trailer gets a mind of it's own. I've read several stories in the last few days of people going into walls and guard rails. Over a bad weld? Crappy spring steel?
Make sure you have enough tow vehicle. People that run against or over the limit have high risk of worse problems when things happen. You have an overloaded vehicle and then you have a failure it will be interesting.

I am not sure how long I dove with my broken spring, but I think it was for a couple hundred miles. I had no idea there was an issue. I pulled into a dump station and decided to check that funny wearing tire. It had come apart so I went to put on the spare and that is when I found the axle.

I had noticed a little funny tire wear, but I was headed home, less than a day and I had new tires waiting for me. I figured I would make it home and change out. I do know my spring was not broke this spring when I serviced everything and rotated tires. So June to August. See pics below.

Quote:
What are we doing here?
How many 10's of thousands or 100's of thousands of RV are on the road at any given time? How many of them are actually having problems like this? I am sure it is a tiny fraction of 1%. It just seems more common because people talk about it in places you are following, like this page. I have another trailer that has the exact same set up under it. It is a 24' equipment trailer that is well abused going from being pulled though fields with the tractor to regional trips or interstate trips with cars, heavy loads or UTV's. It might get the bearings greased from time to time. Never had a problem with it and I have had it over a decade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_190312_HDR.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	347249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_190801_HDR.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	347250  

Old 10-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Make sure you have enough tow vehicle. People that run against or over the limit have high risk of worse problems when things happen. You have an overloaded vehicle and then you have a failure it will be interesting.

I am not sure how long I dove with my broken spring, but I think it was for a couple hundred miles. I had no idea there was an issue. I pulled into a dump station and decided to check that funny wearing tire. It had come apart so I went to put on the spare and that is when I found the axle.

I had noticed a little funny tire wear, but I was headed home, less than a day and I had new tires waiting for me. I figured I would make it home and change out. I do know my spring was not broke this spring when I serviced everything and rotated tires. So June to August. See pics below.

How many 10's of thousands or 100's of thousands of RV are on the road at any given time? How many of them are actually having problems like this? I am sure it is a tiny fraction of 1%. It just seems more common because people talk about it in places you are following, like this page. I have another trailer that has the exact same set up under it. It is a 24' equipment trailer that is well abused going from being pulled though fields with the tractor to regional trips or interstate trips with cars, heavy loads or UTV's. It might get the bearings greased from time to time. Never had a problem with it and I have had it over a decade.
Your equipment trailer is most likely built better and not germane to this story.

I know social media highlights the bad, and it is not the majority. That said, if the same things keep coming up over and over again there may be a problem. Slides are a never ending source of aggravation for many. They are under built. All of them.

My point is that when the recurring problems, limited as they may in fact be, involve serious safety issues, it's time to pay attention. Do car manufacturers wait until at least 5% of their product kills people? No. A few instances and whammo, recall time.

Axles and their related components failing, even one or two and I've read a LOT more, needs to be addressed. So far it's crickets from the industry. Do we need fatalities before they start paying attention?
Old 10-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #13

While the trailer is built different, the axles, springs and mounting are all the same.....

There are no RV standards like there are with cars.

You are right the mass produced RV's are built barebones for the highest profit based on the fact that for most people these toys are rarely used. They are built to be "1/2 ton towable", something has to be cut to eliminate weight.

On the other hand, there are brands that are not under built. They have heavy duty components, they are set up for full time living. The flip side is that you are going to pay for this level of build.

When I buy a Harbor Freight tool, I do not expect it to hold up like a Snap-On. If I were to buy a "super lite" trailer I would not not expect it to hold up like a Spacecraft.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #14

The spring hanger problem can be solved without paying thousands for IS . Just put Moryde X factor cross bars on they mount on the hangers and will help stop away stiffen your frame and minimize the chance of breaking a hanger . Put them on mine 6 yrs and thousands of miles ago . I did have a spring leaf break and replaced all the springs with much better springs . I have never lost a hanger bracket . The X factor is worth looking at . Easy self install .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote