Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Axle Weight Rating

Hey all ! Hope you are enjoying the winter weather as much as I am. Never seen so much rain!
Anyway, with all the concern voiced about weights and ratings, I upgraded from D's to E's on the tires and weighed everything unhitched empty, unhitched loaded for travel, hitched empty, hitched ready for travel, etc...
I got to know the clerks at TA pretty well over a week a while back.
All that said, I'm not over on any weight ratings, close on the tv gvwr, but not over. Every other gross weight ratings have plenty of cushion left.
We took 3 trips in 2018 totaling about 2700 miles with no problems with tire heat or wheel bearing heat. Both checked with tpms, heat gun and good old hand touch. Trips were in mid summer and fall to Florida, so I figured that is a good example of what to expect.
My trailer axles weighed in at just over 7000 pounds hitched to the tv.
My axles are Dexter 4400 pound rated. should this trailer have had 5200 rated ones?
I'm not really worried, just thinking this is another Keystone future upgrade like the non wet bolts and chinese D tires.
Thoughts anyone?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

4400# per axle....8800# Total Capacity

7000# on axles when hitched -----1800# capacity

Decent 'margin'.

Go camping and enjoy!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #3

The trailer's certified GVWR is the primary factor in axle and tire selections. So your trailer's certified GVWR is unique. It's not going to change and there is no reason for its manufacturer it provide more load capacity with the OE axles than what's required to support the GVWR. It says right in the owner's manual to not exceed GVWR.

Words very similar to the ones used below, describe the minimum standards the vehicle manufacturer must use during vehicle certification.

The trailer manufacturer's recommended tongue weight, when added to the total vehicle certified GAWR values, MUST not be less the trailer's certified GVWR.

Note: When that does not work for them they will do the same thing you would have to do to balance your load, take it from the cargo capacity.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
4400# per axle....8800# Total Capacity

7000# on axles when hitched -----1800# capacity

Decent 'margin'.

Go camping and enjoy!
Exactly. I had the same concerns but I hadn't thought about the amount of weight the pin takes off of the axles.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight