Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #15

I just talked to Dexter this morning. tooblue is absolutely correct about the wheel offset causing the bearings to fail. My question was about routine maintenance and the conversation came around to this subject.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
I just talked to Dexter this morning. tooblue is absolutely correct about the wheel offset causing the bearings to fail. My question was about routine maintenance and the conversation came around to this subject.
Just keep an eye on them as I am not totally convinced that only a less then .393 backspace can or will cause the Nevr-lub failures. That 42mm(1.65) bearing is just too dang small to carry 6000/2=3000lbs/side especially when you add highway impact to the equation.

Nevr-Lub spindle - this bearing is less then 1.375 long

Eze-lube spindle

Eze-Lube bearings (my spare sets)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #17

Our 5th wheel came with Lippert 7K lbs. axles and their SBS (sealed bearing system). Within 2 months one bearing failed - poorly engineered system to hold the wheel on. One set of brakes were toast as a result. Lipperet replaced the axle and paid the labor. Unfortunately the axle was bent so I was out the alignment. This year my bearings started to leak -- all four. The shop called Lippert for parts and was told that they no longer offer the SBS -- wonder why??

Lippert shipped me 2 new axles with conventional bearings. I was out the brakes, installation and alignment to the tune of $1,000.00 +.

Another life experience.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #18

valve stems ?

Installed the tire pressure monitoring system and love it. Manual strongly reccommends steel stems.

Have rubber/metal stems. Rubber where enters wheel; metal on out to cap. Do I have metal stems or rubber stems ?? Truck tires seem to be similar design. Anyone know ? I

Thanks, Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #19
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
Installed the tire pressure monitoring system and love it. Manual strongly reccommends steel stems.

Have rubber/metal stems. Rubber where enters wheel; metal on out to cap. Do I have metal stems or rubber stems ?? Truck tires seem to be similar design. Anyone know ? I

Thanks, Ray
It's a reinforced rubber valve not a screw in (kinda like a nut and bolt) full metal valve. Keep a close eye on the tire pressure - I just replaced the four on my F350 after having two flat tires the same day (Monday!!) from failures. They were less then a year old but were very dried out and crumbly
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #20

I see there is still chatter going on about the Dexter Ne-V-er Lube axles. I too bought a used Titanium 5th wheel made by Glendale of Canada. Like some of them mine had the 'incorrect' off-set wheels.
Due to the cost involved I did what I could afford. I purchased new wheels (with "0" off-set) and new LT tires. I bought the new tires due to their 'age', not because of the axle issue or wear.

I DID NOT replace the axles after satisfying myself that there was no damage to the bearings. I did buy an infared thermometer and check for excessive heat at most stops along the way when traveling.
So far, so good!
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Axis Products Main

Here is a link to Axis Axles. They build torsion axles like the Dexter and Al-Ko axles, but are easier to work with for replacements if you are replacing an older axle. Dexter and Al-Ko will only build their current axles and it is up to you to adapt them to your trailer. Axis will work with you on matching mounting brackets.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
I see there is still chatter going on about the Dexter Ne-V-er Lube axles. I too bought a used Titanium 5th wheel made by Glendale of Canada. Like some of them mine had the 'incorrect' off-set wheels.
Due to the cost involved I did what I could afford. I purchased new wheels (with "0" off-set) and new LT tires. I bought the new tires due to their 'age', not because of the axle issue or wear.

I DID NOT replace the axles after satisfying myself that there was no damage to the bearings. I did buy an infared thermometer and check for excessive heat at most stops along the way when traveling.
So far, so good!
michigancamper
Did you check the price with Dexter and mention the "notice of defect" letter? That replacement axle price for Titanium trailers gets very nice vs many sets of wheels. Peace of mind for that +/-$700 is worth a lot to me, but of course it's your call. My new Eze Lube hubs are running about the same temp as the tires - assuming I haven't made any hard stops and transferred the drum heat to the hub. I just returned from 811.5 miles - and not a thought of any problem.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
Jerry here... Still running my never lube hubs... No issues... Only thing I have done is go to LT tires.

jerry
Old 06-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #24

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403954650.194118.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	961.6 KB
ID:	66321
FTAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #25

Does anyone know what the pin weight maximum is for a Chevy 2500 diesel 4x4 shortbed?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:30 AM   #26

It's a 2009
Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Should probably try your question in the General Discussion or tow vehicles thread. Maybe a moderator could move it over
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #28

Or you could use Google. Type that in and start reading. Should be a towing guide of some sort. The answer varies by trim level and cab, drive train and engine
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote