Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #43
IC2

What 'they' said - the MORryde in particular has an equalizer total movement of 3 plus inches instead of being fixed while the Lippert is supposed to be similar though I have no experience with that brand. Now, mechanically, it doesn't make sense to me as the axle movement is basically up and down with some fore and aft as well, and dictated by the equalizer regardless of whether it's a rubber snubbed version or not. Lippert makes a bolt on shock arrangement that to me appears to be a decent way to go and one I may try regardless of their recommendations: Amazon.com: Lippert 281281 Bolt-On Shock Mount Kit 3" Axle 5.2K - 8K: Automotive.

2014 Montana High Country 343RL (sold it!)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #44

There are too many MorRyde IS systems on the road to assume that shocks will help the ride--it just doesn't need them. In fact, if you somehow manage to install shocks, it may serve to work against the fine suspension ride of the IS. Your call, if you really want to do that.
As to NevRLube bearings---have them on my '05 Suites (17400lbs) and pulled it over maybe 40k miles before having them replaced before going to AK in '12--none of the 4 bearings showed to be a problem waiting to happen--this was on 7k axles. In '14, I opted to replace the axles/brakes with complete Dexter 8k assemblies, including the NevRlubes. So, had maybe 40k miles on the original 7k axles/bearings; had possibly
25k miles on the new bearings when I opted for the 8k axles. Now at maybe 12k miles on the 8k axles/bearings and fixing to go back to AK in 2 weeks.
And, I sold the old axle/brake/bearing assemblies for $450.
I personally feel the NevRLubes are a fine bearing, but need to be checked for 'wobble' at some point after 2 years/30k miles. If you can't move the tire/wheel assembly vertically, then they are good. 100k miles is meaningless in RVs, but 5 years is sure a definite timeframe.
If I had had the money at the time, would have gone with IS and NevRLubes when I changed the axles, but that would have been about $4k more to replace everything.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #45

Axletek dexter style

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Yep....7K Dexters.

Rusty
I purchased what I thought were 12 x 2 DEXTER brake assembly's. They were cleverly advertised as "DEXTER" style brake assembly, or let me believe they were made by DEXTER....Dexter needs to go after Axletek for use their name and their products are junk...or the one I got was! Tore up both shoes and drums on my 5th wheel. Went to do a routine Wheel bearing pack and SURPISE.....What the heck happened here. less then 18 months on the trailer.
Front axle...which was still oem....was fine like new ish.
"IF YOU BUY ANYTHING ONLINE THAT SAYS ANYTHING BUT GENUINE DEXTER PARTS" You will regret it, JMHO. AXLETEK is made in ASIA...and the USA headquarters will not return any phone calls or supply an email address.

ANYBODY with ideas why this happened let me know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axletek3.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	234270   Click image for larger version

Name:	axletek1.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	234271  

Click image for larger version

Name:	axletek2.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	234272  
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #46

Brakes

I have a 2018 Raptor 355 that came with dexter 7000# axles with drum brakes. The 1st long trip we went on the brakes on the front axle came apart and looked similar to yours. The dealer replaced entire assembly including the drums. On the 2nd long trip the following year had the same problem on the rear axle but only one side and when I checked the front axle they were loose and looked like they were about to come apart again. Trying to get any information from Keystone was useless. They just go on defense instead of trying to help you solve the problem. I ended up upgrading to 8,000# axles with disc brakes and it was well worth the investment. Even with the trailer loaded with bikes I don't have to set the brake controller past 5. Not sure why the drum brakes kept coming apart and yes they were genuine Dexter.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 AM   #47
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
I have a 2018 Raptor 355 that came with dexter 7000# axles with drum brakes. The 1st long trip we went on the brakes on the front axle came apart and looked similar to yours. The dealer replaced entire assembly including the drums. On the 2nd long trip the following year had the same problem on the rear axle but only one side and when I checked the front axle they were loose and looked like they were about to come apart again. Trying to get any information from Keystone was useless. They just go on defense instead of trying to help you solve the problem. I ended up upgrading to 8,000# axles with disc brakes and it was well worth the investment. Even with the trailer loaded with bikes I don't have to set the brake controller past 5. Not sure why the drum brakes kept coming apart and yes they were genuine Dexter.
That's a well known Dexter problem, not Keystone. Keystone purchases their frames from LCI. LCI uses either the Dexter or their own virtually identical axles and brakes. Give Dexter a call and follow up with photos. Oh, and the cure for that 1950s Dexter axle brake design - a nice disc Kodiak brake maod

Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #48

I should have been here on this item long ago..... Anyway, 2014 Brookstone 325 with 7k Dexter E-Z lube with about 50k miles, and, yes, it's showing it's age. The worst problem was a broken frame, after $11k and an Air Flex hitch that end is OK. Now, the bigger issue, brakes! Just had dealer replace broken shackle, new brake assemblies, install wet bolts and new suspension - but the brakes don't work! Last trip, hot TX day, left rear tire temp went up 25 degF over other 3, and PSI jumped about 10 degF above other 3, so I let out some air and overnight it cooled and I had to put air back in. Going down Raton pass (8000 ft) on I25, used diesel engine braking on downward run until max RPM then tapped brakes. Smoke from tire(s) on the left side of RV! History: brakes are touchy/grabbing often, and I think it's the left side. And, my 2017 F350 controller says TRAILER WIRING fault too often (never had this fault until dealer redid all brakes), each time killing power to brakes and can be RESET. And, backing into my driveway I always jacknife the RV causing the entire left rear wheel bottom to move outward a good 2-3 inches, then I straighten the RV before shutdown. Is there any association between new brakes, the fault from Ford controller, overheated left rear wheel, and the Dexter axles bowing outward? Dexter won't talk to me.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #49
IC2

Oh my the pain.

First of all, it sounds like your RV tech did some poor work, especially if you had good brakes before his work.

You may have those new backing plates either installed on the wrong side or the actual brake shoes installed incorrectly. The short brake shoe always goes on the front with a Bendix design brake system. Yes, they work the other way but at a reduced capacity.

Then, if yours are self adjusting, incorrectly installed hardware - see wrong backing plate installation above. If they are self adjusting, they normally adjust when backing up and you apply the brakes. RVs may be different but the normal design has been back up, touch the brake pedal to adjust

Then, with E-Z Lube - did that mechanic over fill the hub with a pressure gun instead of a hand pumped gun? If so, those really too light duty seals may have bypassed grease and contaminated the brake shoes.

If there is a truck fault dash warning - that tech may have damaged the magnet wiring where it exits the axle. The best repair is to run new wires outside of the axle.

Too bad you didn't add a few bucks to the job and have disc brakes installed - but you do need to haave a competant tech do the job if you aren't a DIYer.

If your tires or axles are deflecting 2-3 inches, I would look very closely at the spring hangers and maybe the frame at the hangers. An ST tire will deflect a bit and an LT a lot less. 2-3 inches sounds excessive. Our Montana with *gasp* the 'forbidden' by some LT tires is negligible *and they only have 28K on them with about 3/32nds wear.

Good luck and report back when you find the problem(s).

Old 08-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I haven't seen much movement on this thread so ........ Our '06 Titanium is gone but only after many, many more miles with the replacement E-Z Lube axles with no problems. Hopefully those that kept the Nevr Lubes are still enjoying trouble free miles with new zero offset wheels

A new bigger and heavier 5er resides in our driveway but it has only 5.2K axles which don't make me feel warm and fuzzy regardless of the fact the unit is still within the 10,400 pounds on the wheels plus 2000+/- pin. There just is no safety margin. Has anyone investigated the actual physical differences between the 5.2 and 6 K axles? Is it hubs and bearings or is there actually a heavier axle tube? Different spindles? I intend on calling Dexter eventually but am curious if anyone has done a check out here first.

The difference is a larger outer bearing and hub to fit. Figured this out while upgrading to Kodiak disk brakes- only make the 6K hub/rotor and you must change to the larger bearing on what was originally a 5200.
Chasrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #51

defective. RAM shocks

In April, 2020 we purchased a new RAM 2500 and a 35' 5th wheel and hit the road full timing. After 30k miles (10k towing) we started having swaying issues. At 60 mph if we went over the slightest dip (there were plenty of them in Northern Illinois) a swaying motion starts, getting worse until we brake and slow down. I suspected truck shocks as there was a slight sideways motion on the truck rear when we'd go over a dip.
Dodge dealer in Beloit, WI said no problem with shocks. After trying the easy - check tire pressure, increase tongue weight, and the expensive - new trailer bushings, not better. Replaced rear truck shocks and no more swaying.
Take away - Dodge and dealers need a better way to test shocks and not send folks down the road with a dangerous truck.
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #52

What is Truck System Technically (TST)?
Blkmask44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkmask44 View Post
What is Truck System Technically (TST)?
It is a NAME BRAND of a company that sells TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems for large Trucks and RV. It basically tells you about the air pressures in each tire.

A Truck system Technically... Or the word "TRUCK" Comes from a hand driven Hand Cart..or we call dolly sometimes. That it the origin of the word Truck or HAND TRUCK
alpenlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #54

I have MorRyde independent suspension and 8k axles . I have Kodiak disc brakes and what looks like Dexter EZ lube bearings. Seems like MorRyde puts all these parts together and trying to figure out a parts list is hard to get an answer on. I like to have everything on hand when I start doing maintenance. They being Dexter , MorRyde and Kodiak all say bearings should be inspected and repacked yearly or 12 k . So I have grease seals I think I need and plenty of grease Kendall Super Blu that MorRyde recommended . So hopefully brakes and bearings check out good.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote