Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Axles by Dexter & AL-KO

Dexter Axle 5th Wheel Axle information

AL-KO Axle's information
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";785143][B][URL="http://www.dexteraxle.com/resource_library
Dexter Axle 5th Wheel Axle information[/URL][/B]
What those instructions/info don't say is that if you have Nevr-Lub axles, that they have a failure rate that is way too high and that they are weaklings at the best of times.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #3

So, what you are saying is that Al-Ko axles are superior to Dexter? My Al=Ko never lube axles have been just fine sine I bought the fiver new in 2005. Biggest thing is that people need to follow proper lubing instructions and schedule or any bearing can fail.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
What those instructions/info don't say is that if you have Nevr-Lub axles, that they have a failure rate that is way too high and that they are weaklings at the best of times.
Got 'em under my 5th wheel (see signature). Never a problem.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
So, what you are saying is that Al-Ko axles are superior to Dexter? My Al=Ko never lube axles have been just fine sine I bought the fiver new in 2005. Biggest thing is that people need to follow proper lubing instructions and schedule or any bearing can fail.
If you have to lube them, EVER, they are NOT Nevr-Lub. The Nevr-Lub are a permanently lubed and sealed package. To lube them, you replace. These bearings are the same part number as the late Mustangs ('79 up) use and are weaklings on a 3K automobile. I know nothing about Al-Ko axles as every 5er and TT we've had have been equipped with Dexter.

Rusty - you probably have 7K axles which have a much larger 50mm bearing then the 5200 and 6000 42mm versions which are the most problem.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Rusty - you probably have 7K axles which have a much larger 50mm bearing then the 5200 and 6000 42mm versions which are the most problem.
Yep....7K Dexters.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wasn't looking for a give and take just thought it was good information for all types of tow information.
Have added the AL-KO's also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Dexter Neverlub Axle's

We have the Dexter 6K never lub axle's on our rig... the issue has been with the wheels that the manufacturer put on the Dexter axle. Dexter called for a 0 offset wheel... our manufacturer, Glendale, put a -10 offset wheel on the Dexter axle, which in essence placed a tremendous added load on the outter bearing, which over time destroyes the bearing and hub assembly.

I placed four new 0 offset wheels on my rig, and replaced all the hub and bearing assemblies, and that should end my issues.

Jerry
Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
We have the Dexter 6K never lub axle's on our rig... the issue has been with the wheels that the manufacturer put on the Dexter axle. Dexter called for a 0 offset wheel... our manufacturer, Glendale, put a -10 offset wheel on the Dexter axle, which in essence placed a tremendous added load on the outter bearing, which over time destroyes the bearing and hub assembly.

I placed four new 0 offset wheels on my rig, and replaced all the hub and bearing assemblies, and that should end my issues.

Jerry

Jerry - have you visited the Titanium forum and read the various posts? Titanium RV Owners Forum - Login
When I discussed this with Dexter, to me they "hedged" blessing the '0' wheels as the total fix. My new axles weren't a lot more then the replacement wheels and more peace of mind
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #10

How do I know which axels are undr my 1995 5er? I have looked at the paper work that came with it and looked at the axels for tags, etc. with no luck. I called the place it was bought from and they didn't know either. It was used when i got it in 20000. It is a Nomad made by Skyline. Acording to them they used 2 differant brands bsck then. Couldn't or wouldn't help at all. Thanks
hamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
hamman - A couple years ago, I replaced my suspension, shackle assemblies, shocks etc. `95 Westport, by Fleetwood. As I recall I found mine stamped with the name Dexter. Try checking the break plates, hubs and drums, for markings. One other thought, if you can take some good digital photo and get with a place that works on trucks & trailers, you might find someone with knowledge. I purchased all my Dexter parts through such a business. The best for your project. - Mike

97 Dodge 3500 Diesel 2nd owner
Mike-n-Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamman View Post
How do I know which axels are undr my 1995 5er? I have looked at the paper work that came with it and looked at the axels for tags, etc. with no luck. I called the place it was bought from and they didn't know either. It was used when i got it in 20000. It is a Nomad made by Skyline. Acording to them they used 2 differant brands bsck then. Couldn't or wouldn't help at all. Thanks

Dexter will usually have their name and part number stamped on the axle, just off center and probably on the back side. You might have to get aggressive with some medium grit sand paper to clean off any paint, rust or crud to find that info. You can then call Dexter and they will then tell you what those axles are as far as capacity and width. If it's another brand - no clue
Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Wheel Issues

Quote:
Jerry - have you visited the Titanium forum and read the various posts? Titanium RV Owners Forum - Login
When I discussed this with Dexter, to me they "hedged" blessing the '0' wheels as the total fix. My new axles weren't a lot more then the replacement wheels and more peace of mind
IC2 - Yes I have talked to Dexter at length on this issue, and they were quite convincing with me that the 0 offset wheel was the answer to the problemm and the zero offset was the "wheel of choice" and Glendale, for some reason chose to use -10 mm offset. When the house of cards came tumbling down on Glendale, with several thousand units in the field, I think they folded their tent, and filed for bankruptcy.

I have all new 0 offset wheels, and all new hubs and bearing assemblies. I had 15,000 miles on my original wheels and hubs before the first one went south... we have about 2,500 miles on the new set up, and so far so good. Time will tell...

With all that said, we love our TI and as you can see we use it a lot. It is an '08 32E37 TS, and works for us...

Jerry
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #14

axel info

Thanks, as soon as the weather cooperates here I will get back out there to look at them more carefully. I will let you know what I find out. Thank You.
hamman is offline   Reply With Quote