Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

B&W Companion Initial Set Up

Doing the initial install on a Ram 3500 Long Bed with a B&W Companion with factory prep in bed...was wondering if I should place the adjustment forward towards the front of the truck for best weight distribution instead of centered?
thanks in advance for the input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

I prefer to have hitch slightly forward of rear axle center line

This allows some transfer of pin weight to front axle

My standard 5vr hitch (not a B&W) is 2" forward
This transfers 150# to front axle
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

I have my B&W hitch kingpin adjusted to one inch in front of the center line of the axle.

Height is another issue. I started and ended with my height at the mid point. I do have air bags, but thankfully my 2K kingpin weight doesn't make my truck's rear end squat at all. Every truck is different on the height adjustment on the hitch.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #4

Thanks Guys, Ill go with the forward setting and middle height to start...looks like it will just barely fit under the retrax pro mx roll up cover at that height...Im thinking the pin weight could be pushing 4k on the 5th wheel set up. Ill be installing the airlift 5000 rear bags in the next day or two. Had the dealer install the flexaire pinbox so hopefully everything works height wise...well see later this week when i pick it up from the dealer this next weekend
Old 05-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
IC2

If a Ram is like a Ford 5er prep, you can try it in front or behind the axle centerline by just doing a 180 with the base and putting the head on correctly. I have found that I like to to with it behind the CL but that's not for all cases. I even towed a nose heavy Glendale Titanium that way, but that was also for bumper to trailer clearance on that 45er
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #6

Im not sure the base is reversible on this particular ram puck model as the instructions show one way and there is a difference in how its constructed/angled. I believe I have to unbolt and reposition the pivots but thanks for the heads up on the bumper clearance I hadn't really thought about that..It just seems weird the adjustment options are more available behind the center line of the axle but Im thinking thats more for short beds than the long bed as they do seem more common on current TVs.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdixdragon View Post
Im not sure the base is reversible on this particular ram puck model as the instructions show one way and there is a difference in how its constructed/angled. I believe I have to unbolt and reposition the pivots but thanks for the heads up on the bumper clearance I hadn't really thought about that..It just seems weird the adjustment options are more available behind the center line of the axle but Im thinking thats more for short beds than the long bed as they do seem more common on current TVs.
You are correct about the RAM version not being able to turn the hitch base 180* - though you might get it 'bolted' down, the adjustments may be too much for use. GM as well as the Fors can do that 180* turn. I think that the RAM version has more adjustment options though the 4" forward is a little radical. As far as the number of behind the axle adjusments - probably a factor that they had the open area, let's just add some more holes.

One more thing - after your first pull, retorque the 4 arm bolts. Some folks have had them loosen if someone hasn't used a torque wrench.

Great hitch, you will love its ability to do the job.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdixdragon View Post
Doing the initial install on a Ram 3500 Long Bed with a B&W Companion with factory prep in bed...was wondering if I should place the adjustment forward towards the front of the truck for best weight distribution instead of centered?
thanks in advance for the input

On my Ram I had to set it back to be able to open the front panel door on the 5er where the generator is located.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #9

2017 Ford F350 with B&W Companion installed and removed several times (that's the beauty of the companion, right?), just be careful on the lock down using the arms to turn the bolts into the pucks: I used too much force and the locking arms rotated but the bolts did not lock all the way into the pucks! One leg's bolt was not even 45 deg into the 90 locked position in the puck. The locking arms had their cutouts worn so on rotation they did not lock the bolt into the puck! B&W was great in sending me the heavy duty locking arms and new bolts with spacers (the truck's pucks were not level!). Problem solved. Now I lock and unlock without worry, and I loosen the bolts if needed rather than use a lot of force turning the locking arms. It's really tight, thus I too use a FlexAir (after my framed failed, and is now repaired - it's so nice to see the FlexAir shock/pin now flexing 1-3 inches over rough roads).
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletesingler View Post
2017 Ford F350 with B&W Companion installed and removed several times (that's the beauty of the companion, right?), just be careful on the lock down using the arms to turn the bolts into the pucks: I used too much force and the locking arms rotated but the bolts did not lock all the way into the pucks! One leg's bolt was not even 45 deg into the 90 locked position in the puck. The locking arms had their cutouts worn so on rotation they did not lock the bolt into the puck! B&W was great in sending me the heavy duty locking arms and new bolts with spacers (the truck's pucks were not level!). Problem solved. Now I lock and unlock without worry, and I loosen the bolts if needed rather than use a lot of force turning the locking arms. It's really tight, thus I too use a FlexAir (after my framed failed, and is now repaired - it's so nice to see the FlexAir shock/pin now flexing 1-3 inches over rough roads).
B&W are a great company to work with. I've had a couple very minor problems and they have shipped parts via FedEx overnight.

My '11 Ford has the uneven puck problem as well. My fix since new has been to pull the cotter pins to either tighten or loosen the cam nuts. A big 'ol Crescent wrench is part of my traveling tool kit just for this pur[pse
Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #11

I agree that B&W is a pleasure to work with especially on their Companion. The newer locking arms are made of a super strong steel that will not wear like the original aluminum, and the bolts are single piece machined steel as well. I highly recommend anyone with an early model Companion go to B&W and get the newer locking arms and stronger one-piece bolts.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote