Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Bad Creaking Sound

We are on our maiden voyage on our 1st 5th wheel. It’s a “super lite” Laredo 5th wheel. There is an awful creaking sound in the bathroom when you get close to the shower. We upgraded from a smaller travel trailer and didn’t hear anything like this in our bathroom. Should I be concerned? Or is that just the payoff for going with a light weight 5er? Thanks
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Sounds like something is not tight take to the dealer if under warranty.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

It sounds like it is time to get inside the basement and maybe remove an inspections cover near the utility area so you can see under the bathroom. Then have someone move around in the bathroom while you take a look at what is going on.

In our last 5th wheel we had a terrible creaking in the bedroom. An investigation showed it to be a screw in the floor that missed the joist but was close enough to touch it. I removed the screw and never had another concern with it.

We had a creak in the 5th wheel we have now, under the bathroom. I did as I suggested above and found the floor could have been braced better. I bought a piece or 2X2 wood and cut it so that I could install it from the steel crossmember to the floor where the creaking was. That fixed the problem.

Unless you find a major problem like a broken weld, don't count on the dealer being much help. You may as well start learning how the trailer is put together and doing you own work. That is the best way to be sure it is done the way you want.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

Time to trade it in for one that doesn't make a noise.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post

Unless you find a major problem like a broken weld, don't count on the dealer being much help. You may as well start learning how the trailer is put together and doing you own work. That is the best way to be sure it is done the way you want.
X2
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Time to trade it in for one that doesn't make a noise.
Thanks for the input
Old 12-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
It sounds like it is time to get inside the basement and maybe remove an inspections cover near the utility area so you can see under the bathroom. Then have someone move around in the bathroom while you take a look at what is going on.

In our last 5th wheel we had a terrible creaking in the bedroom. An investigation showed it to be a screw in the floor that missed the joist but was close enough to touch it. I removed the screw and never had another concern with it.

We had a creak in the 5th wheel we have now, under the bathroom. I did as I suggested above and found the floor could have been braced better. I bought a piece or 2X2 wood and cut it so that I could install it from the steel crossmember to the floor where the creaking was. That fixed the problem.

Yep, doing that when we get home tomorrow. Thanks guys
Old 12-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #8

We have creaking in our 2005 Copper Canyon bathroom floor, it is simply the floor boards moving slightly on the aluminum frame work.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

This is right beside the shower. That is a metal housing underneath the bathroom floor. Hard to tell if there is an brace issue
Old 12-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #10

I also have a squeak to track down. I say dig into it, find the squeak and fix it. If you like the unit repair and go on. Hopefully it is something simple.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #11

Showers can be an area that is not correctly supported when constructed by the expert assemblers that were employed that day. Do your best to figure out how to access the area and have someone walk around to see if you can locate the squeak. Sounds like movement in the flooring that isn't fastened correctly.
And having a superlite doesn't get you away from some of these irritations--we have a 'non-superlite' Mobile Suites that has a squeak/groan in the bedroom floor at times. It is a small bother and one I don't see necessary to track down and correct--at least, not until I fall thru the floor...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote