Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #29

Here is a great resource for some practical information on batteries. Well written and easily understood.

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

After doing this stuff for 40 years (holy smoke, that long??? HORRORS. LOL), I can vouch for the double GC batteries outlasting the typical RV/Marine 12v by about 3 times as long. I dry camp a lot and use a 2000w inverter. I just replaced my Trojans that were 7 years old. I have run these now for the last 20 years in both my motorhomes and now, the fiver - - much better.

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Jeeze - so much angst in this thread it was hard to pick out the useful information...

let's see - is my url rv.net ?!?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiverBob View Post
Here is a great resource for some practical information on batteries. Well written and easily understood.

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

After doing this stuff for 40 years (holy smoke, that long??? HORRORS. LOL), I can vouch for the double GC batteries outlasting the typical RV/Marine 12v by about 3 times as long. I dry camp a lot and use a 2000w inverter. I just replaced my Trojans that were 7 years old. I have run these now for the last 20 years in both my motorhomes and now, the fiver - - much better.

Bob
You said your Trojans, two 12 volt parallel or two six volt in series?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biron View Post

You said your Trojans, two 12 volt parallel or two six volt in series?
Thanks
Trojan does make 12v deep cycle, but the "GC" designation refers to 6v Golf Cart batteries.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

Quote:
You said your Trojans, two 12 volt parallel or two six volt in series? Thanks
They are 6v. Contrary to some opinions, it seems the experts all tell us that parallel batteries need to be balanced. In other words, if a parallel battery shorts out (and you catch it quickly before it ruins the other one) and it has some age on it, you are probably best replacing both batteries. You do not necessarily need to replace both 6v batteries is one goes south. My experience with them is you can take the GC 6v down much deeper in discharge without hurting the unit. I have read, and find this true in my usage, that you can go deeper in discharge that the RV/Marine and recharge as much as ten times as many recharges in the life of the battery. Much tougher battery. Pick up a Trojan 105 and a RV/Marine of the same size - - the Trojan will be much heavier due to the thicker plates. That should tell us something. Try them - - ya'll will like them.

Bob
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #34

Johnboytoo,

It isn't so much Angst....
Those of us with bad experiences are trying to help others avoid the same bad experiences. Cleaning up after a battery explosion qualifies as a bad experience.

My regular advice to people that insist on paralleling "Marine" "Deep Cycle" batteries is to have baking soda on hand to clean up the acid.

In the little (smaller than 4D) world,
"Marine" means it has wing nuts and
"Deep Cycle" means it costs more.

I'm done doing work on other people's boats after 50+ years.

Matt
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
Johnboytoo,

It isn't so much Angst....
Those of us with bad experiences are trying to help others avoid the same bad experiences. Cleaning up after a battery explosion qualifies as a bad experience.

My regular advice to people that insist on paralleling "Marine" "Deep Cycle" batteries is to have baking soda on hand to clean up the acid.

In the little (smaller than 4D) world,
"Marine" means it has wing nuts and
"Deep Cycle" means it costs more.

I'm done doing work on other people's boats after 50+ years.

Matt
My new trailer came with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel, go figure. I am interested though in the GC system. Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

My new trailer came with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel, go figure. I am interested though in the GC system. Thanks
Anything that says "Marine" is a hybrid and not a true deep cycle. Same for any battery which displays CCA or MCA. A true deep cycle will be rated in AH. Two 12v marine batteries in parallel is not bad and you could do worse. It's just if you want more AHs for your $$ and more time before the need to run the genny, then a pair of GC-2s are for you.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
How about those optima gel cell batteries? Anyone know anything about those?
No such battery exists.., Optima is not GEL

Optima is AGM

And this is what I know about them.. For any given battery size class (IE: Group 27) Optima has about 60% the capacity of the same size Lifeline, or Interstate or ______ retangular cell battery.

They also cost more

This makes them the WORST bang for your buck, and a poor choice for RV use.. Less the RV is a 4-runner type or wave runner type run-float about that is going to be slamming over ruts, rocks bumps or waves and driven in the manner not suitable to RV driving.

(The optima is a very "Sturdy" design able to take more phsical punishment than other batteries)

I do not recommend them for RV use due to the capacity issue.. EXCEPTION... I have read from one poster for whom the WEIGHT of a standard battery was a problem but the optima being lighter, was not.

Still, way too muich money for way too little Amp hours.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

No such battery exists.., Optima is not GEL

Optima is AGM

And this is what I know about them.. For any given battery size class (IE: Group 27) Optima has about 60% the capacity of the same size Lifeline, or Interstate or ______ retangular cell battery.

They also cost more

This makes them the WORST bang for your buck, and a poor choice for RV use.. Less the RV is a 4-runner type or wave runner type run-float about that is going to be slamming over ruts, rocks bumps or waves and driven in the manner not suitable to RV driving.

(The optima is a very "Sturdy" design able to take more phsical punishment than other batteries)

I do not recommend them for RV use due to the capacity issue.. EXCEPTION... I have read from one poster for whom the WEIGHT of a standard battery was a problem but the optima being lighter, was not.

Still, way too muich money for way too little Amp hours.
Fair enough, I'm no battery expert. Learning lots from this thread. All I know for sure is that they can be mounted anywhere, even upside down and last 100x as long as a regular car battery. Not sure why they wouldn't just use a deep cycle one for stereo systems if they last longer. I had one 10 years ago and was told it was gel instead of lead acid which is why you can mount them upside down or under the back seat without issues.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Fair enough, I'm no battery expert. Learning lots from this thread. All I know for sure is that they can be mounted anywhere, even upside down and last 100x as long as a regular car battery. Not sure why they wouldn't just use a deep cycle one for stereo systems if they last longer. I had one 10 years ago and was told it was gel instead of lead acid which is why you can mount them upside down or under the back seat without issues.
Our 2002 OEM batteries (Interstate U-2200's) lasted 1 month short of 10 years and actually had life left but we were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road. In 2004 I added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Our 2002 OEM batteries (Interstate U-2200's) lasted 1 month short of 10 years and actually had life left but we were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road. In 2004 I added 4 oz of mineral oil to each cell too.
was beginning to unwind the confusion ... almost there... then here you are with a new twist (to me)

Why the mineral oil? also how often and do you just add distilled water on top of it?

No one else has mentioned this and my thought is things won't rust... if they can..
Old 11-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #41

Interstate

Check out Interstate ECL Pro series, new product, I'm in the market to replace the battery on our FW and if I like what I hear I'm going to try one.
My Exide is chewing thru water like crazy. My buddy across the street is having the same problem with his. My previous Interstate would only need water once maybe twice a year. I'm putting water in the Exide every 4 weeks. My Progressive converter checks out so the battery is the problem.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
My Exide is chewing thru water like crazy. My buddy across the street is having the same problem with his. My previous Interstate would only need water once maybe twice a year. I'm putting water in the Exide every 4 weeks. My Progressive converter checks out so the battery is the problem.
When you say that your "converter checks out"; does that mean that your converter is maintaining your batteries at 13.5 volts??

You have to add water every 4 weeks, summer and winter??

Tags
batteries