Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #1

Batteries - charger

Looking at purchasing a 2008 Regal by Fleetwood. Checked it out and in very good condition. Disappointed unit was,only 30 amp and had only one 12V battery, no inverter or generator. In previous class A DP we had 4 6V, 2000 inventor and a 8000 watt generator. Now with only 1 battery seems pretty limited. However we never dry camp always have shore power maybe 1 battery would suffice. Adding 1 more battery couldn't hurt. How does the battery charge while on the road is it charged by the vehicle towing, I would think so? I never really needed the generator however on rare occasion power failure it came in handy. Maybe a purchase of 2000 watt portable Honda maybe in order?

Your thoughts?

Jim
Chilliwack BC
2007 Cayman
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Your TV should charge the battery while towing. Not a lot but should maintain it. I only have 1 battery also. Going to add 1 more and get the yamaha 3100ISEB for boondocking later this spring. 30 amps are plenty unless you add another air conditioner. Mine is wired for 50 amps but only have 1 air conditioner with optional wiring for an additional one. never really needed 50 amps yet.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

It all depends if your tow vehicle supplies 12v at the connector in addition to lights and brake power
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you have a 5 or 7 pin connector it should.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

I only have one air conditioner also probably don't need 50amp but still would like it. I don't know how much work would be involved upgrading to 50 amp maybe it is prewired also? I will add another battery or put in 4 x 6 volts I have the room however maybe too much for vehicle to charge.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With one AC the 30a connection is OK, I would not spend money to upgrade to 50a. IMHO.

One 12v battery is minimal, but OK if no dry camping. Adding another if easy to do would be OK I guess to ensure adequate power during travel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While on the road battery should charge off engine alternator, This applies to most tow vehicle/trailer combos as well as to Motor homes all classes.

When parked off a convrter device that CONVERTS 120vac to 12 VDC.
If you NEVER park without shore power, 1 battery is enough
If you boondock, You may wish to upgrade

Now.. My choice of upgrade is a pair of GC-2 Six volt, wired in series they become basically a 4D which is one BIG 12 volt battery .. 220 Amp Hour give or take 10...

You existing is likely a Group 27 or 29.. MARINE/deep cycle, about 100 amp hours and you shoudl not use more than 40 of those (DEEP CYCLE you can use half).
Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Lets think about this..... move common tow vehicles use very modern controls on the charging systems where the engine ECM monitors battery temperature to prevent overcharging and allowing the liquid in the battery to vapor/gas off.... this technology has allowed batteries today to go mostly go 4-7 years without adding water.... this ability to monitor and control charging rate has seen a drop of charging voltage of over .5 vdc.. My old truck used to run at 14.2-14.6 most of the time... my new truck (2013) rarely sees much over 13.8 using a digital volt meter... and the alternator has the ability to provide lots and lots of amperage to supply the truck...

What this means if you allow for standard voltage drop across connections and length... remember that the factory truck and trailer wiring is usually light gauge wire... with some voltage drop.. it means in my case my trailer batteries never get above 75% after a day of driving.... I've planned for this with extra batteries...

But a static voltage test when we stop for the night... rarely shows the batteries above the 75% mark....

On my old truck I actually ran a 10 gauge wire, from the batteries through a 40 amp fuse to the trailer connector and another 10 gauge wire in the trailer, both 12+ and ground.... to allow for better charging....

Just my thoughts..
Old 01-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #9

jelag,
What you have said is sad, but true---altho most tow packages from the 90s have a charging line to the trailer, it is so small in gauge that the tow vehicle will at best just maintain whatever charge you start out with.
Hurk,
If you plan on ever staying overnight without an electrical hookup, you most definitely need 2 batteries. If you add one, buy 2 new ones with the same mfg date or the old single one will drag down the new single one to its condition.
A Honda 2000i is a good addition to any camping setup--but if you want it to charge a battery, also get an automotive charger and run it off the gen. The batt charge outlet on the gen really doesn't have the amperage to efficiently charge the battery(s).
As to the 50 amp rewiring, sure it can be done, but have a qualified electrician do it who understands a 50 amp RV plug is not wired the same as a house dryer plug...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #10

We're boondocking currently - and like you had in your last trailer - have 4xGC2s (416ah @ 12V) and blew through in about 40 hours with the furnace running and some heavy computing (my PC takes some power).

Currently on generator power.

With a 5th wheel - Don't expect the tow vehicle to charge at all - it will maintain at most. The wiring is too small and distance too great really for it to do much but trickle/maintain..

Very different from a DP where the engine alternator can be redirected to the house batteries and there are LARGE diameter and short cables between the two.

You probably already know this coming from your previous rig - but I'd upgrade the converter and battery bank. I'm not sure a single Marine 100AH would even provide sufficient for a long drive with a couple of truck stop overnights.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #11

I don't know why all the discussion. My new in 2012 fiver only had one Grp 24 12v battery. The first long trip in 2013, I swapped for a high end (110AH) Grp 27 and dry camped in Grand Teton for 3 days. The following year, I moved to 2 GC2 Trojans. It is pretty much a no brainer to upgrade your battery bank to match your needs. If I could get DW to boondock more, I would go with 4 GC2 batteries and add two more solar panels to the 200w I installed the 4th year.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries